caregiver

Guest jodycalabro

Guest jodycalabro

My mother has been fighting nsclc for over 4 years. She was diagnosed with stage IV adenocarcinoma and has been through many rounds of chemo, radiation, several thorosentisis, 3 hospitalizations. In November, she came home and hasn't had any treatment since September. She has fought and fought, and she is now nearing the end of her journey. She is having trouble with anxiety, refusing narcotics, difficulty breathing. The hospice people have been wonderful but what kills me is the not knowing what will happen next.

I am sorry to hear your mother is coming to the end of this hard road. She has fought a good fight. The hospice nurses should be able to help you with what's next...talk to them. They are there for the family too.

I am sorry to read this - what a battle - and you have won for 4 years. That is quite an accomplishment. We found hospice very helpful, call them anytime, that is what they are there for. I would urge you to have some narcotics on hand, even if she is refusing them right now. Also anti-anxiety drugs. You may feel better just knowing they are an option and there may be a few days when your Mom will indeed need them and may not be able to communicate that to you. I could tell because my husband would get very irritable, then I would ask and he would say yes, he needed something.

In our case, once we started on the downhill, it went quick. All of it was hard in it's way but for me, as caregiver, I ran into some bad problems but just for the last week.

For us, what helped, too, was to fill the days with love - short phone calls, short visits, special foods, and at the very end, soft gentle music. Just be with her, honor her wishes, watch over her safety, and in the last couple of days, she may be saying things, you may want to write them down for later.

Stop in here anytime for specific advice for specific problems, probably someone has faced them before.

Love, Margaret

Guest jodycalabro

Thank you Margaret. I appreciate the support. Fortunately, we started her on narcotics yesterday and she has been on anti-anxiety meds for a while, but we've increased them quite a bit. Please just keep us in your prayers and I'll pray for you as well. You have been through a lot!

Jody, So sorry for you and especially your mom. This has to be so hard on you. Just be there all you can for her and let her know how much you love her. That will make her journey so much more peacful.

Thinking of you and praying for strength for your difficult days ahead.

We are always here to listen and for support.

Maryanne