question about brain surgery

nandie

Hi Folks:

My mom had a brain met removed with the gamma knife last August, and this week they found that the leision in the area has grown, so that now it is donut-shaped with the area treated with the gamma knife in the center. So she is scheduled to have the mass removed on Friday in surgery. Does anyone have any information on what we can expect or any stories to share?

Thank you,

Nandie

Mom - diagnosed 3/04, chemo+radiation, gamma knife for one brain met 8/04, chemo again 1/05-4/05, now brain surgery.

Hi Nandie,

You can read my bio below and see that my husband had his brain surgery first and then followed up with the gamma knife for some additional mets. His original brain surgery to remove the first tumor was unexpected emergency surgery...but relatively easy and he had a remarkable recovery. He was awake and alert within an hour post-surgery. He spent 3 days in ICU, but was sitting up in bed, eating dinner AND talking on a telephone two hours after surgery. He was on a high dose of steroids to help with brain swelling and they gave him alot of energy and a healthy appetite. He had no more headaches, no balance issues, no REAL side effects and no pain following his surgery. He often says that he'd endure another brain surgery ANYDAY over another lung surgery. Anyway..this was our story. I hope that your mother has an easy recovery as well.

Hi Nandie,

I too had brain surgery first then stereotactic radiation afterwards. That was in April 2004 (surgery) and the radiation was (June 2004) I did the same as Beth's hubby, surgery first. No pain, low dose steriods(Decadron), in ICU 1 day. Eating within a few hours of surgery. I didn't have lung surgery. You can PM me if you want. Please keep us posted about your mom, we're here for you...

God Bless and prayers,

Karen

thanks very much for your support. it's been a rough couple of days, but mom is out of the surgery and has been moved from the ICU to a regular room. she's doing great! eating well, and her speech--which had been unclear for the first 24 hours--is returning as well. it feels like she's made it over yet another hurdle.