CT today-Prayers requested! (4-19update)

shineladysue

Hi everyone,

I never write much about Mike or ask anything, but today I really need you guys to pray for him. He will get his scans neck soft tissue, chest , abdomen and pelvic..in about 1 1/2 hours from now. He has now had 6 Alimta treatments and the last scan was after 3 in early Feb.

There is a bit more to this story that makes us concerned at this time. He was doing very very well and then all of a sudden the middle of last week he became extremely short of breath. He went from a man on no oxygen to needing it 24/7 over night(literally). We went to the pulmonologist, he did 6 minute walk (couldn't be completed), sent him home with an overnight test and plus the usual exam. He did have a bit of a temp then. Anyhow, he sent us home with oxygen on the way, Ketek antibiotic for 5 days and Allegra at night (allergies). 5 days are up and he is still very short of breath. We are praying , obviously that it's not cancer progression :? and that there is a less devastating explanation. This scan seems like the best place to start. I'm soooo scared , my insides are shaking , but I'm trying to give it my best. Don't know when we will get these results. Originally, we were to get them on the 25th , but because Mike is so short of breath now, we will push for early results. Will keep you posted when I can. Thank you for being here for us. Our prayers go out to all on this board.

Love,

Sue

Mike and Sue,

Many, many prayers coming your way. The SOB seems to come and go a lot with the Alimta. I had a bout or two and the Doc explained that all the crap we take whether it be Chemo or magical stuff to treat side effects all have the capability to cause SOB and when they all get going at the same time, it can get severe.

Poor blood adds to it. All the best for you both. Push em like all h--- for early results. They usually read them shortly after they are completed.

Take care and God Bless. Things will be fine.

CharlieD

Thanks for you prayers, they mean a lot to us.

I took Mike to get his scan with oxygen in tow plus the use of a wheelchair, but that part is done. Came home and he called the doctor's office to let them know that the scan is done and he's still very short of breath. We have an appointment at 8:15am tomorrow morning with the pulmonoloist to further investigate and hopefully he will have some information on the scans. Will keep everyone posted.

Sue

Update

Went to pulmonologist today. It seems the breathing problem is due to inflamation of the lung as a result of Chemo (Alimta). The doc prescribed 60 mg prednisone for 1 week, 50 mg prednisone for one week and 40 mg prednisone for 6 weeks. He says if it gets worse or is not better in one week , he will have to put him in the hospital. He did a lung function test and Mike scored poorly on it. As for the scans, he said there is no new cancer or progression... Things appear to be stable for now. We will meet with the oncologist next Monday the 25th for a full report on the scans. We have copies , but there are no numbers for comparisons just the words that say no change and normal.:) think there is a page missing... So , we got a mixed bag today..No further progression of the cancer , but we have a battle with inflamation. I asked the doctor the chances of clearing it up and he says he doesn't deal in chances. He says this is the treatment and it will work or it won't . I whined, but thanked him for the wonderful job he does keeping Mike going . So, it's steroids and plenty of prayers. Will let you know the oncs report next week , as well as, any new reports.

One other thing I would like to say is this isn't necessarily the result of Alimta... it may just be the long term exposure to chemo and radiation. As for the Alimta, it looks like it may have been doing a good job.

Our prayers to all of you,

Sue

Sue,

I'm sorry you are having such a scarey time, but it sounds like a plan of action is in place and that always brings comfort. The prednisone is very powerful and should do the trick for you. I am praying that Mike feels better quickley plus I want to throw in a Happy Dance for no further progression, cause that is just plain wonderful!

Blessings

Betty

Mike and Sue,

Sounds pretty positive to me. Sorry about the inflamation but it may gradually improve with the steroids and stopping Alimta for a while. Hope and pray it improves soon. No progression is great. Sounds like he might need a little rest from treatment. Hang tough you two, we're all pulling for you. God Bless....

CharlieD

Sue-

Sorry I'm a day late! I can't go out without a wheelchair because of my SOB. They think it may have to do with the meds I am taking and tried to take me off my heart meds, which made me crash and didn't work.

Praying the steriods work....be prepared! Lock the fridge (not that it will matter), I gained 50 pounds in 42 days on 40mg of prednisone. I don't look like myself....and it wasn't all from eating!!!!!!

Good luck!