please talk...brain surgery tomorrow

melaniem

My cancer has come back. I was having vision problems and turns out I have a 3 1/2 cm.brain met. If not removed ASAP neurosurgeon says I will die within 2 weeks. It is dangerously close to my brain stem. He couldn't believe I was functioning, let alone cutting people's hair. I have permanent loss of my left field of vision because the tumor is on the occipital nerve.

I am 37 years old. Today is my daughter's18th birthday. I am so scared.

I requested a chest/abdomen CT Friday so I should know the results today. The surgery is scheduled tomorrow, Tuesday. They re-scheduled 12 people and bumped 2 other surgeries because this thing is so aggressive. I had a PET in August and it showed only the 2 original tumors (removed surgically) but I guess their 'state of the art' scans aren't as foolproof as they tout.

I am in a fog. My family is a wreck. I'm afraid this is the beginning of the end.

Thanks to all who read and post. Melanie

Melanie,

I am sure you are petrified but as Becky says, breath, breath, breath.

Many here, including my husband, have had successful brain surgery. You many want to PM Karen335 who had very successful surgery and, if I remember correctly, her tumor was also close to her brain stem.

I will say a prayer for a successful operation and good results.

Hi Melanie

I am so sorry to hear this news. Brain mets are scary - Mum was diagnosed with several in January. She did not have surgery, so I can't help you with personal experience, but as Ginny said, there are several members who have had their tumours surgically excised.

I will be praying for you.

Karen

Maybe it is the beginning of something other than the end...maybe the reason it was caught was to save your life and give you lots of years with your kids. I know you're scared, I would be petrified, but try to think of it as someone watching out for you...

Please have someone post on how you do.

Rochelle

Melanie,

I ditto Ry's post. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of the beginning. My husband has had a lot of brain mets, but no surgery, so I can't offer any experiences. What I can offer is encouragement, love and prayers. Hang in there, girl. They do WONDERFUL things these days with surgery and treatments.

Does the calling circle have your telephone number? If not, send a PM to Ry above and give it to her so she can call and see how you're doing. Ry is head of the calling circle. She can then let us know. OK?

Love,

Peggy

Okay Melanie, maybe for ONCE lately I can be of some help and hope to someone. Bill's (my husband) brain surgery was performed on Memorial Day last year as an emergency surgery due to the location and seriousness of the tumor and the fear that it could have caused a seizure and/or death immediately. He went into surgery for the removal of that tumor before we even knew what his primary was. He was in surgery for 7 hours...the longest 7 hours of my life. Literally...within an hour post-surgery, he was sitting up in his bed (really pissed off about the catheter) and hungry. His recovery was amazing, to us anyway, but the hospital staff seemed to take it in stride. They said he was doing well, but that most people do recover well from this surgery. He was out of ICU and home on Day 5 and has never had any issues with the headaches, vision or balance since the surgery. I hope and pray that you breeze through this surgery as easily and get the great results that we did. I hope this gives you some comfort and hope that it is just one more hurdle to overcome so that you can have a belated birthday celebration for your daughter!

Love,

Dear Melanie (nice name),

My prayers are with you. While I have not had brain surgery, I have had Gamma Knife Radiosurgery on 4 brain mets. One of them was encroaching on the brainstem & causing seisures. They told me that without treatment I would have 2 weeks. That was in the beginning of June of 04. I truly believe God has special plans for you.

Hugs & prayers,

Melanie

Melanie,

Just want you to know that I'm thinking of you. I have to believe that you will be okay.

I can only imagine how you feel facing this on the day after your daughter's birthday. We just have to have faith that that the surgery will be successful and you will recover well.

You have a huge "cheering squad" behind you, Melanie.

Melaniem.

Dear girl. If it were me, I would be as scared as you.. no kidding. I have taken hope from the messages from the above posts. The kind of surgery that you will have is nothing that I know about. But,

Think also about this. The surgeon does think that you will be helped WITH the surgery! That in itself is encouraging, don't you think?

I will be praying for complete healing for you and for you to be home and well with your family in no time.

love and good wishes.

Cindi o'h

Melanie,

All the prayers and good wishes and luck to you.

Will pray for you and your family. Come back to us and let us know how you are as soon as you are able.

Take care!

Mare

Melanie--

Anyone in their right mind would be petrified but you have many, many people sending prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. You can do it and I bet you'll have a wonderful team of docs watching over you tomorrow too. I will be thinking of you and looking for an update on your surgery when a family member has time to post.

In the meantime, I'm sending all the prayers that can be mustered in your direction.

Gail p-m