New to this Board

Guest Cheryl Schaefer

Guest Cheryl Schaefer

Hi,

My name is Cheryl and I live in Hawaii. My wonderful husband, Dick age 62, has been diagnosed with Stage IIIB or Stage IV nsclc. He is T2, N1, M1. Spread within the same lung but not mets. outside of lung. He had has records sent to M.D. Anderson who is supposed to come back to us tomorrow. He is in great health otherwise but we are told they cannot remove tumors surgially due to close proximity to heart. Radiation may be an option but they are not sure. Recommending only Chemo at this time. Would love to hear from others who have had similar diagnosis and what treatments were recommended or proved successful. Thanks for your help. I'm in shock and need and pray for some answers.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Welcome to the board, sorry you have to be here. But you will find wonderful supportive people here with lots of information. My mom was diagnosed in March with Stage IIIB NSCLC. It was a very difficult time, because I felt so overwhelmed, lost and didn't even know where to start. I was researching the web and became depressed with the statistics I read. Then I found this site and it has been a God send.

My mom was unable to have surgery. She underwent 33 daily radiation treatments and has had 8 chemo (carbo/taxol) treatments. The doctor says she will have around 12 probably. The CT scans show her cancer is shrinking. We remain hopeful for a complete remission. If I can offer you any advice, be very vigilant in your husband's care and never give up hope!

Come here whenever you have questions or need support. You will be in my prayers.

Hi Cheryl

I know how you feel, my husband was just recently diagnosed with Stage 2a lung cancer (a second primary) we remarried last year he had it before in 1997, but we were not together, so this is a whole new experience for me. I found this group by browsing the internet also and it has helped me tremendously. The group of people here are great they have information and give you hope, when the doctors might not. Use this vehicle to express any feelings you have. You can guarantee you will have people here that will pray for you and keep you encouraged when all seems lost.

Welcome aboard...

Hi Cheryl:

Welcome to the boards. I'm sorry about your husband, but you have found a good resource here. My Dad has Stage IV Lung cancer and his details are below. Dad was diagnosed in early May and that was the hardest part. It really is a stressful time, but it will pass and I hope you get the best news possible. Just try to learn as much as you can...that has helped me.

We are here if you need us.

Take care,

Kelly

Hello Cheryl;

I'm so very sorry your husband was dx.'ed with this terrible disease but very glad you found us. You do not have to go through this alone. You will find understanding, and knowledgable people here. But most importantly, you will find SURVIVORS! You and your husband will be in my prayers.

God bless and be well

Bobmc - NSCLC- stage IIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Hi Cheryl,

My Mother was just diagnosed Monday with sclc of the Left Lung. I am waiting for MD Anderson to call also. I hope all goes well and our paths may cross within that large hospital. Keep us posted of any new info.

MDAY