My Letter to the Editor

I am soooo excited. I had a message on my answering machine when I got home from our local Knoxville newspaper. They are going to publish my letter to the editor. I have included it below:

Appreciate your article on lung cancer (LC). Peter Jennings diagnosis came as a shock to many. My question has always been, why is there such a stigma against those who smoke and develop lung cancer? Do we criticize those who have unhealthy lifestyles and develop heart disease and strokes? Do we criticize those who drive too fast and loose control? Do we criticize those who develop other health problems from their lifestyle choices? Then why are so many people critical of those that develop lung cancer after smoking? It is very unfair for our society to treat other human beings this way. No one deserves to have a horrible disease like lung cancer under any circumstances.

Did you know that 15% of those diagnosed with LC have NEVER smoked? There appears to be a trend for younger women to develop the disease even in the absence of smoking.

If you smoke, please quit. If you are a smoker or former smoker, please get a spiral CT scan. It could save your life. X-Rays are not good enough to detect cancer. My husband had a "clean" x-ray three weeks before his stage IV diagnosis. I really hope News-Sentinel readers will consider taking action. For those readers dealing with this horrible disease, there is an excellent site for support at lchelp.com. Check it out sometime. It could make a big difference in your ability to cope with this disease. Thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinions and provide important information. Take care.