OMG *bangs head on desk* Sque Cell Carc "in Situ"

Guest Mrsmanny

Guest Mrsmanny

Saw my hubby's path report...

squemous cell "in situ"

no invasive squemous cell carcinoma...

still meeting with oncologist who says pulmonologist should order another path...

Tuberculosis which is what he has been diagnosed with causes caseating granuloma and high amounts of dyplasia...does this necesarally mean this will become cancer?

What the heck is "in situ"

Found this on Virtual Hospital (Although, John has put it in much simpler terms ):

Squamous cell carcinoma is a common form of lung cancer, accounting for approximately one-third of all cases of bronchogenic carcinomas.Unlike adenocarcinoma, it is strongly linked with a history of cigarette smoking.Its histogenesis may be related tochronic inflammation and injury of the bronchial epithelium, which leads to replacement of the normal ciliated columnar epithelium by a squamous epithelium.This transformation from a glandular epithelium to squamous epithelium is known as squamous metaplasia.

Histological and cytological studies have revealed a series of changes that occur over many years and represent a morphologic progression to bronchogenic carcinoma.Early changes include a loss of the ciliated columnar epithelium, basal cell hyperplasia, and the formation of a low columnar epithelium without cilia.These changes are followed by a squamous metaplasia.As cellular atypia develops and advances there is progression through mild, moderate and severe dysplasia to carcinoma in situ.Carcinoma in situ has no metastatic potential. However, once carcinoma in situ penetrates the basement membrane to involve the lamina propria, it is invasive carcinoma and capable of widespread dissemination.These progressive changes are similar to those that proceed the development of squamous cell carcinoma in the uterine cervix.This progressive sequence would suggest that it would be possible to detect abnormalities that are linked to bronchogenic carcinoma.However, unlike the cervix, there is no convenient test, like the Papanicolaou smear, to monitor this progression.Nor is it possible to identify with certainty which lesions will progress to carcinoma.

For full article: http://www.vh.org/adult/provider/radiol ... amous.html

Hope Manny is responding to the TB treatment, and feeling a little better, at least... :?

Just for what it's worth, most of my breast cancer was in situ, which means that it has no capability to spread. BUT, I did have <2mm of invasive tissue, so had to have radiation and take tamoxifen.

Trouble with in situ is that they really don't have any way of telling whether or not it is going to turn into invasive cancer, so it's my understanding that it gets treated as if it were invasive, which is good. This is not something that we need to take a "wait and see" attitude about, according to my breast suregeon.

Cindy