Don't Know What to Think

Treebywater

Mom had a really good day on Monday. Better than she's had in months. She also had her first Alimta treatment that day. Since then, she's just been feeling awful and not doing well at all. Today she didn't get out of bed. Yesterday she was so shaky she couldn't hold her own water glass. From what Dad tells me it sounds like her pain level is higher than it has been too.

Everything that I've heard about Alimta has led me to believe that side-effects wise it was relatively mild... But here Mom is knocked flatter than she was with the Cisplatin and Gemzar.

To be honest, it's really got me worried. I know everyone handles treatments differently, but I'm scared something else is going on. Dad even told me today that he was afraid to check on Mom a couple times today because he wasn't sure what he would find.

So I don't know what to think. Could this be from the treatments? Is it the cancer? I am so afraid things are advancing, and I'm terrified that even though I leave in about a week and a half to go back to be with Mom long-term, that we might not make it in time. I hope that is an irrational fear.

I guess I just needed to express mostly.

Yes, it definitely could be from the Alimta. Mom breezed through her carbo/taxol. She had NO nausea. With Alimta, especially after her 2nd treatment, she became very ill. She said she never knew what nausea was until Alimta. She has vomiting and di for about 5 days afterward and then she feels back to normal. It is scary to see your mom like that/hear that that she is feeling that badly. The good news though is that if she can get through it, Alimta seems to be holding mom stable. I hope the same is true for your mom. Have a good night.

Val,

Hi! I don't have any experience with Alimta, but I do want to tell you that my mom has had several bad days in the past few months which led me to believe she must be getting worse. In reality, they were just bumps in the road. I think it's very difficult for those of us looking on to accept that the patient is going to have rough days, especially with chemo and radiation.

I hope your mom starts to feel better soon. I am so glad you get to go spend time with her in the not too distant future.

Sending nothing but prayers and good wishes your way.

Just adding our prayers for strength for you to wait. I think waiting is pure punishment. You are waiting for your time to travel to be w/ your mom and that probably exacerbates all the anxiety.

Sending lots of love and concern.

I have been in your exact position with my dear sister and understand being so torn and anxious.

Pat

Val,

This is just a guess, but it may be the dexamethasone. Mike has had 6 treatments of Alimta and never had nausea, but the shakiness and also the sudden drop a couple days after treatment are typical of steroid withdrawl. He always felt good the day of treatment and the day after, but the next day and about the next 5 he would feel very fatigued. Hope she will feel a bit better in a day or so. The fatigue may persist for a bit, but hopefully she will feel better otherwise. Our problem now is Mike is suffering from inflammation of his lung from chemotherapy. :( ... Keeping you and your mom in our prayers...

Sue

My mom had this same reaction and ended up in the hospital. She could not walk, fever, terrible reaction to her first infusion. Her initial chemo with Gemzar/Carbo was a sinch compared to this. Good luck. ALIMTA is a nightmare--maybe not for all, but for some.

I think it's very difficult for those of us looking on to accept that the patient is going to have rough days, especially with chemo and radiation.

That's just the thing... She doesn't have ANY good days. They're all rough in one way or another. (And usually lots of one ways or anothers). It's not that I'm shocked by or unaccepting of the bad days, it's that I'm sad that the good ones are so few and far between. What scares me is that the 'tough days' just seem to be getting tougher.

Thank you all though for the encouragement. I am really hoping this is just reactions from the treatment and as she gets farther out from the treatment day things will improve. Maybe we'll find some good days yet.

I can't say anything that is different than what everyone else has said. I know that I do the same thing with my dad. He's been coughing alot lately and it makes my mom and I crazy! I think we make him crazy asking/commenting about it also. Cancer really stinks for them but it also really stinks for us as caregivers! Hang in there and I'll be sending prayers y'all's way!!

Tammy

Hi Val,

I feel so bad you are going through such a hard time when this should be nothing but joy with Carolyn. She is absoutely beautiful. Most take after her mom :wink:

I pray Val, that you mom will hang on to see you and Carolyn (if you are taking the baby),thatwould be such a wonderful gift for your mom. But I really wish she will just get better and be sitting up, feeling good and waiting for your arrival. Anything can be possible.

Prayers for your mom to get stronger everyday, Strength sent to you Val.

Maryanne