weight gain

OhioKat

I'm wondering if anyone here has experianced a lot of weight gain, especially while out of treatment?

I swear to God, it is like breathing is making me gain weight. I've joined Curves, I'm going 3-5 times a week, I have cut my intake, trying to keep my intake to about 1000 calories a day (not always perfect on that one but it is also not much over that) I literately go to bed more often then not feeling kind of nauseated in hungry kind of way.

I'm eating less and excersizing more then I have in my entire life and I'm gaining weight, 2 lbs in the last week alone, and 40 in the last year.

I'm really starting to worry that something else is wrong here.

My doctor of course just blows me off and tells me not to each so much. 1000 calories isn't all that much, so just how much less can I eat?

Everyone's first assumption is depression or just eating like a pig. I can't deny being a bit depressed on and off,mostly now because I'm blowing up like a thanksgiving day parade balloon.

But my eating habits are not that out of control.

Kat,

Have your thyroid checked. My first sign of "trouble" was gaining eight pounds a month - which continued for six months straight!

There is a simple thyroid test and there is a more complex one. I can't remember the names, but have 'em check more than "thyroid", have 'em check all the levels. Sounds like you may have a hypothyroid, like me.

I've been on medication for four months now. I finally stopped gaining weight but haven't lost any. First battle is to stop gaining...THEN work on losing.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the Land of the Elastic WaistBand... :roll:

Oh dear, hope you get an answer soon. Your doctor sounds a bit uncaring!

I understand how you feel.........since Brian has been dx I have gained weight and it is funny, no matter how many other serious issues you have, things are easier to deal w. if you clothes aren't too tight!!

A fellow weight warrior!

1000 calories may not be enough. Maybe your body is holding each one rather than burning any????

I have no real help to offer, just lots of understanding!

Keep us posted!

Love

Pat

I too have this problem. I know I eat too much and exercise too little, but still I knew something else was going on. Turns out they hit my thyroid when I had radiation which made me hypothyroid. I take synthroid for this now once a day. Of course, that doesn't burn up all the fat I've gained, but at least they found the reason. It's just a simple blood test done at the doctor's office. If he won't do it, try another doctor. Good luck.

Joanie

I too have this problem. I know I eat too much and exercise too little, but still I knew something else was going on. Turns out they hit my thyroid when I had radiation which made me hypothyroid. I take synthroid for this now once a day. Of course, that doesn't burn up all the fat I've gained, but at least they found the reason. It's just a simple blood test done at the doctor's office. If he won't do it, try another doctor. Good luck.

Joanie

I wondered about that, well actually I wondered if the chemo might have had something to do with messing with the thyroid if that is what it is. Hadn't even thought of the radiation. I did have the PCI, interesting thought.

I really have been trying to be very careful about what I eat, and even taking some diet aids but all I do is gain, and I tried to tell him that, plus I'm as fatigued now as I was when I was on chemo. All he saw my my ever expanding behind though. *sigh*

Thanks for the support & responses :D

Hey Kat.

We were dx in the same month of 2002. I gained weight during treatment because they told me not to lose. I think that is why I gained weight, anyway...?

But, I have gained 60 pounds in the last two years! Holy Shmutz! I saw my reflection in the glass and had to look away quickly! What a butt on this hippo! Wow. I used to be a rail.

I was dx with hypothyroidism a year after lc dx. I don't know why the doctor screened for it. But, it is a simple blood test. There are so many other symptoms asso. with hypoT besides weight gain.

I move slowly, if at all. Chemo sent me into early menopause. I eat when I want and however much I want and I am just happy to be alive... until I see that reflection. OUCH! It is starting to really bother me too.

Anyway, I completely understand your frustration. I am hoping that it will turn out to be Hy.T., and if it is, then something can be done about that, 'cuz it sounds as if you are doing everything else right.

Cindi o'h

I really have been trying to be very careful about what I eat, and even taking some diet aids but all I do is gain, and I tried to tell him that, plus I'm as fatigued now as I was when I was on chemo. All he saw my my ever expanding behind though. *sigh*

I too think your thyroid was probably zapped during chest radiation -- I'd demand the blood test and don't take no for an answer! :wink: Hypothyroidism can cause weight gain, muscle weakness, fatigue, dry skin, hair loss, and a host of other symptoms.

In the meantime, I see that you mentioned taking "diet aids" -- if you are talking about any type of diet pills -- many of them can ultimately mess up your thyroid....they have stimulants in them to speed things up....and then when you stop taking them, the thyroid sort of turns to. . .sludge (for lack of a better word!)

Hoping the test turns up something and you can get back to your old self in no time!

I struggled with weight gain for the first year and a half after diagnosis and surgery and treatment. I think quitting smoking had a part in the gain, and I also think that the inactivity of treatment had something to do with it, but I also blame the chemo.

Last summer, I was exercising and eating right and I was gaining weight every month. Very frustrating.

It took a couple of times with the thyroid test to catch it, but finally in January it did pop up slightly underactive. I started taking a small dose of synthroid for it, and now, with diet and exercise, I am losing the extra weight. You still have to do the work, but at least now I'm seeing results.

Of course, my doctors say that the thyroid issue has nothing to do with the radiation treatments I got for the breast cancer or the chemo for the lung, etc. I don't know, maybe not. Just seems like I have been having all kinds of things pop up now after these fairly strong treatments. And nobody else in my family has ever had any thyroid issues or anything like that.

It's ok, I just think that this is something the medical community is going to have to work on in the future. What are the long term effects of cancer treatments? And how are we going to address issues that long term survivors have?

Of course, that's a success in my book--to be able to have these long term side effects.

If I were you, I'd stay away from the diet aids....they may be fine for some people, but with our history, I feel like I'm playing with fire with that stuff.

Good luck to you.

Cindy