Very bad news, mets to brain, pelvis and other lung

jcawork

I am so upset I can hardly type. I am suicidal and feel hopeless. I can't even stand being in my skin.

WBR & Cyber knife, pelvic rad and Tarveca planned.Repeat MRI of my head tommarow. My onco doesn't want to bother w/ IV chemo, pretty much said why bother. I am unsure if I can handle doing more tx, for why?

Jen

Oh, Jen. I'm so sorry. But the radiation CAN DO WONDERS. You mustn't lose hope, easy as that is to say and hard to believe. Lots of people have had similar treatments with great results, and there's absolutely no reason that you shouldn't have equally great results. So hang in there. We're all pulling for you -- as are your husband and great kids. And remember what a miracle worker tarceva has been for others. Keep on fighting -- you CAN DO IT!

Many, many hugs,

Ellen

Jen,

I don't even know what to say.... so, I am not even going to attempt trying to "make it better". Please know I am praying for you, I know you are so distressed, and thats okay, give yourself time for the latest news to sink in and then plan your attack. I am just so angry that this is happening to so many here on the board... Love, Sharon

This news is a heartbreaker. Like others...I'm hoping some time to adjust to a new battleplan might be the best medicine. Survivors are here...you are not alone Jen. What about another opinion?? Are there other good oncs in your area??

I don't know anything to say to you that will really help you right now. Like Addie says, it takes a few days to get a grip. Just know that your children are watching you and need you as long as possible. I have you in my prayers and wish you comfort once you make your decicion. I just know that suicide is not the answer.

Nina

Oh Jen, I am so very sorry. I know I don't have the words to make it better now. I remember feeling like you did during my mom's treatment. But I also remember that once the initial shock wore off we would come up with a new plan of attack. Please don't ever lose hope, there are options and other survivors. Thinking of you and sending you all my best.

Jen,

I wish I knew the right words to say. I feel anything I say can't adequately express how sad it makes me to see you feeling so hopeless. Wish I could give you a big hug . Today is a new day and as many others have said, time helps. The initial shock is hard on many until they come to grips with a new plan. I'm praying for your strength and healing. Know that you aren't alone. Let us know how you are.. We care.

Love,

Sue

Jen, your post was like a sucker punch to the gut.

First of all DON'T GIVE UP. LOOK AT DAVE. HE'S ON HIS SECOND ROUND OF METS, HIS THIRD BOUT OF SCLC, AND HE'S STILL FIGHTING.

Why Tarceva? Isn't that just for NSCLC?

Dave AND Addie are using topotecan, for their SCLC mets, and it seems to be working for both of them. ASK YOUR ONCO DOC ABOUT THAT PLEASE!!

Dave has mets to his lower spine, pelvic bone AND left hip, and the topotecan seems to be working on them. He also had a liver met and they think it's gone already, the scans were done after he'd only had three out of 12 treatments!!!!

JEN, JEN, PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP. DO YOUR RESEARCH, DOUBLE CHECK YOUR OPTIONS, AND GO GET SECOND OPINIONS IF YOUR ONCO DOC WON'T CONSIDER THE OPTIONS.

HANG IN THERE - ASK GOD FOR STRENGTH AND HE WILL GIVE IT TO YOU!

Karen

(((((((((((Jen))))))))))))))))

We are all here for you. Hang on.... Those of us who are in the same boat know how you feel. Once you get over the shock, I know you will put on those fighing gloves and start the battle again.

I agree with Karen, I haven't heard of the docs using Tarceva in SCLC, but I think it's worth a try. The worst side effects are the rash and tummy trouble.

Please, let us know how you are doing.

TAnn

Jen,

I too feel sick over this. But my feelings are from Anger. Anger at your doctor for not getting down and dirty with you and asking YOU what YOU want to do now. It is up to YOU whether or not you want to try more chemo and go through the side effects yourself. Its not your doctor who will be feeling the effects.

Please seek a second opinion or tell your doctor that YOU wnat to fight on and try something different.

Your kids need you to fight on. I just lost my third parent (mom 8/03, dad 6/04, F/I/L 4/23/05 were burying him later today) to LC. I am dying inside with mothers day coming up.

please dig as far down inside yourself as you need to and find something inside you to pull to the surface and renew your fighting spirit.

"do not go quitely into that good night"

fight this son of a witch cancer with all you are.

all my prayers

Jen,

So sorry to hear your news. I can imagine that you are in shock now, but after a few days you'll be ready to fight again. It sounds like there are a few treatments planned, and if you get another opinion he/she can suggest something else. Don't give up, this is definitely not the time to do so!!!

I'll be praying and thinking of you.

Rana