Can someone help me...I'm new here!

InCalifornia

Hi everyone:-)

This is my first time here. My brother was diagnosed with a primary non small cell tumor (inoperable) on his right lung. This tumor was the size of a small lemon and it was pressing on his heart. He received radiation, followed by chemo but due to his immune system being so low the treatment was interrupted. Eventually his doctor stared him on Taxotere, he only received 3 treatments (out of six) and he was hospitalized due to severe pneumonia.

He is finally getting better (the primary tumor has reduced significantly in size) but unfortunately he still has a lot of fluid in his lung *pleural effusion" and the treatmnet once again came to a holt...He still ahs fluid in his right lung and blood count is still low. Now CT SCAN shows 3 new nodules on his left lung, 0.3 cm, 0.7cm and 0.5 cm suspicious of metastatic disease... Unfortunately at this time he can't get any chemo until the fluid is removed and his blood count goes up, they are saying that they will give him a stronger chemo... What are his chances?... We are trying to be optimistic but in the past he had the treatmnet stopped twice and we are afaraid that a stronger chemo will make him even more sick, he was diagnosed August 2004'.

has anyone here has success with treatmnet after having mets to the otehr lung?

PLEASE EMAIL ME and let me know what worked for you.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL...I will be praying for you all!

You have come to the right spot for information and support. My brother too was dx with nsclc recently. It is difficult to see someone you love going through such a hard time. There are many survivors here who will tell you there stories and give advice. Hang in there and my prayers are with you.

Dawn

Hi California:

Sorry to hear about your brother. I am sure others will respond to your question, but yes there is other treatments out there that may help your brother. Everyone reacts differently to the different types of chemo. When they say they may use a stronger chemo does not necessarily mean that he will get sicker from it. Sometimes the stronger chemo's may be a breeze for a person to handle.....it really just depends on how the body takes it.

Please keep the faith that they will find something to help your brother out. Here are many different treatments they can try and many things to counter act the side effects.

I will keep my fingers crossed for good news coming your way soon.

Wendy

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING TO MY MESSAGE. THIS IS THE HARDEST THING WE HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED, I AM HOPING THAT HE WILL BE ABLE TO GET TREATMENT SOON SINCE HE ALREADY HAVE 3 NEW NODULES SHOWING NOW ON HIS LEFT LUNG...

THIS IS A GREAT SITE, I FEEL BLESSED TO HAVE FOUND YOU GUYS!

YOU ALL ARE IN MY PRAYERS!

Welcome to the site. My wife was diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer, with metastasis to the bones 2 1/2 years ago, and she is still going like the Energizer Bunny. Hers started in the left lung and eventually went to the right one as well. Her lungs are clear right now, but she is battling a recurrence in her leg bone. Hang in there. Plenty of hope. Don

Hello, Inca (that's short for in california),

Where in California is your brother being treated?

You may want to ask if your brother is being given drugs to help to increase his blood counts so that he can continue with treatments. I was given injections for low red and white cell counts. You guys may have to ask for them. The ones I had were Aranesp and Neulasta.

Do you know what type of Non Small Cell Lung Cancer your brother has? There are several types: Large Cell Carcinoma, Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Adenocarcinoma, and Bronchioloalveolar Carcinoma-BAC. It helps you to understand what treatment options may be available for him.

Is your brother being treated by a local, general oncologist? Or is he being treated at a large cancer center by someone who specializes in Lung Cancer?

I'm glad you found us, Inca. You'll learn a great deal from the folks at this site. And they genuinely care.

He is being treated at a cancer center near the city of Westminster (Orange County)

He did radiation first along with acombo of 2 drugs (chemo) but they had to stopped that because his red and white cells were way too low and it took him a while to get back on his feet, it was hard for him to eat due to all the burning the radiation did to his throat... When he got better they started him on taxotere (every 3 weeks) he did 3 out of 6 treatments and developed pneumonia ( a bad case of it)... It's been a month now without any treatment and he still ahs fluid on his right lung where the primary tumor was... All I know is that is a non small cell tumor (inoperable) I believe it was attached to the heart, I will gather more info.

The tumor has decreased as I said before significantly (the doctor was very happy about that) BUT...latest CT scan shows 3 nodules...

Thank you so much for your help I will let him know about this injections... I don't think he is getting teh best treatment, it has taken the doctors like 2 weeks to decide whether or not they will remove the fluid, supposedly he will get that done sometime this week and hopefully they will start a new chemo to fight this monster!

This is sucha a nightmare, he just got laid off too at teh WORST time in his life...

Please keep him in your prayers... I will update with more info and I'M SO GLAD I FOUND YOU ALL!

GOD BLESS YOU!

Hi ?? and WELCOME!

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. My brother is so special to me, I would be very upset, too, if he became ill.

THIS IS THE HARDEST THING WE HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED,

Yes, it is difficult, but please stick around this website very closely. You will read lots of things that will give you the encouragement and hope you need.

For example, according to the doctors, my husband should have been gone a year ago, but instead he's driving a 750 lb. Kawasaki Voyageer all over the state of Indiana, and scheduling another trip to the Smokies, working a full time job and still sassing me on a daily basis. He does all this with a lung tumor, liver met, 4 brain mets, a pericardial effusion and too many bone mets to count.

There is a lot of hope for your wonderful brother.

Love,

Peggy

Hi California,

I agree with all the advice our "experts" here have given. Did I detect a hint of dissatisfaction with your brother's treatment? It is very important to have faith in your medical team. If not - move on. You can read in the My Story forum MY story. I am here because I went for a 4th opinion. Maybe you need to look around for someone else to take a look at your brother.

Best of luck to you and your brother - scary and uncertain times for you both. We have been there too!

Kasey

I understand how scared and concerned you are. I also have a pleural effusion. A pleural effusion is not fluid IN the lung, it is fluid that has gathered in the pleural lining AROUND the outside of the lung. If it becomes too large, the fluid puts pressure on the lung and it causes shortness of breath and lots of pain. I've had alot of trouble with my effusion. You can read my profile or pm me if you have questions.

I agree with Fay, have your brother ask about the drugs for boosting the blood counts. I also had problems w/counts while doing chemo. I had the same that Fay had.

Your family is in for a very bumpy ride, but I'm so glad that you found our website and that we can help with as many questions as we can. Good Luck to you and your brother.

TAnn

Sorry to hear your brother is going through some trying times but so many, many of us are and you seem to get used to it. If you read my bio, I had some similiar problems originally and they seemed to iron themselves out. Nodes seem to come and go with each scan, some are and some aren't canerous. As for the fluid, it is probably around the outside of the lung in the pleural space rather than in the lung itself, or at least mine was. They drew it out with no problem before treatment and it has never came back in over a year. Chemo seems to have stopped formulation of the fluid. If you don't think he is getting good care or are not confident with his doctors, CHANGE! A lot of places call themselves cancer centers that are not really. You have access to some real CANCER INSTITUTES in CA such as Stanford. They are real. The nice thing about the Cancer Institutes is you get everything done at the same place and in concert and coordination with each other. When you walk out of one of them, you know you did your best. As for time or chances I've never asked. Just deal with what you got. Chemo and radiation work well for some and not others, so there are no guarantees. But hope and faith go a long way. A good attitude and staying as healthy and active as possible gives you the best shot. Stay persistent and God Bless. Keep us advised.

CharlieD

Hi In California,

I don't have an answer for you, wish I did. You said

your brother is being treated close to Westminister, CA.. His doctor wouldn't happen to be Dr. Jahangiani. He is located in that area and is a very fine and agressive oncologist. He has several offices. He is in the office up here where I live.

Please PM or e-mail me if you would like. Sorry we are all here, but glad you found this site. Many

prayers for your brother and family...

Karen in California

Hi In California,

So sorry to hear all the anguish and uncertainty your brother is going through. You will receive much support here, as you have already. Many people here have been through what you bro is going through, and they are doing fine.

You should go for a 2nd opinion. The people here know what they are talking about. I researced and found who I felt was the best doctors in my area. This tuned out in my favor as they were and are wonderful and caring.

My husbands case was nothing like your brothers, so I cannot comment on what he is going through. I just want to welcome you to our family, and know we are always here for you. You do not have to go through this alone.

Take care, prayers going out to your brother,

Maryanne

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

"I HAVE BEEN SO SAD LATELY, SO STRESSED OUT... WE LOST OUR OLDER BROTHER IN OCTOBER 2003' FROM TERMINAL SOFT TISSUE SARCOMA AND NOW WE ARE DEALING WITH OUR YOUNGER BROTHER'S LUNG CANCER"...I'M SO GLAD THAT I FOUND THIS SITE.

EVERYONE ONE OF YOU IS IN MY PRAYERS!

Heal me, O Lord and I shall be healed; save me,

and I shall be saved; for thou art my praise.

Jeremiah 17:14

Hi and welcome; I was formerly in Ca., now in midwest. My bio below describes my experience, My tumor was operable, lost whole lung, tho.

Taxotere did same thing to me..one treatment gave me pnuemonia, or pnuemonitis, ended up in ER short of breath, then a week of antibios to clear it up. Since mine was adj. chemo, I stopped at that point, so dont know about other chemos.

Anyway, keep posting and learning like u have, and good luck...Rich B.