Surgery for Brain mets

Tammy

I know alot of you have had brain mets and I need your opinion. Mom has a 1inch tumor in the back of her brain that they gave her 3 choices of how to handle this. Surgery,Gamma Knife,or WBR.. THis is my take on this.If you can remove it..remove it because if she has the radiation she can not have that again. If a new met would show up else where and not be able to have surgery that option is still there. I am not sure how many times Gamma Knife can be performed so any info on that would be great. I just want to know am I thinking right when I say surgery?? That would leave the other treatments for the future if needed??? I don't know our heads are spinning!

Hi Tammy,

I had one brain met the size of your moms'.. I opted for the surgery(1 yr ago April 6,04) then I had stereotactic radiation treatment. I only had to have one treatment (June 04). They offered me WBR, I said no!!!! Each person is individual. It is difficult to make these decisions. If they are offering surgery, that is number one. Is the tumor in the Ceribellum (sp?) area? That is where I had the tumor. I was told by the radiation onc. that I was only eligible for surgery if I didn't have cancer in other parts of my body, meaning liver, adrenal and etc.. I was truly blessed snd so is your mom. You can PM or e-mail me if you want. Hope this helps. Prayers coming your way...

Karen

Karen thanks for your reply. I am not sure what medical term the Dr used for the location but its in the back of Mom's head on the right side. If I am reading right you did have surgery? Then you had the stereotactic radiation which is Gamma knife correct? Mom does have mets to her Adrenal gland,Liver,and Lymph nodes in her abdoman. The Dr did not say anything about that and her having surgery what are the reasons that your Dr said that? I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions I am trying to understand all this and help Mom in making her decision. Thanks sooo Much!

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

Yes, you are reading my post correctly. I had the stereotactic after the surgery. It was to get rid of any micro mini cancer cells that may have been left after the surgery. Tammy, if your mom's doctor is offering surgery that's the way to go. For me, it was a painless surgery and I healed quickly and it is the number one decision. You said it is in the back of the head on the right. Ask your mom's doctor what it effects, her speetch, movement of body parts, etc. A lot of people are not able to have the surgery. Just like the lung surgery, some can have it and some cannot. YOur mom and I are very fortunate to be eligable for this surgery. If you want to talk, PM your number to me and I will call you...

God Bless, prayers and hugs,

Karen