1st time posting. Dad w/ NSC Lung cancer Stage IV

Deb J.

My father is 71 years old, he smoked for 30 years. He quit 20 years ago. No one was expecting it, when in September 04, he was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer. He had a primary tumor in his lung, 2cm, major lymph node involvement and a small spot on his spine (neck). He underwent radiation x 6 weeks, followed by chemo- Taxotere (3 cycles). He completed all this in mid January. His reports have been good- lung tumor- gone, spinal tumor- gone, lymph nodes have shrunk dramatically. He is currently taking Irressa, (oral agent) and has even had some additional shrinkage of tumors with this. He had a Pet Scan this month, and no new sites, all looks well. My father is an incredibly strong, healthy and active guy. We are a very close family, and my father is a wonderful grandparent to my two boys and my sisters two girls. We now we are far from beating this, but feel we have been very lucky so far. I plan to visit this site frequently, and would love to offer my support to all of you, (as well as get a little in return) :D

Welcome, Deb,

I had eventual growth of tumor with Iressa, but after having been off Iressa for 23 months I started Tarceva in Dec 2004. I've been in an apparent full remission since the third week in January. Here's to hoping that if and when Iressa is no longer doinf the job for your Father Tarceva will be very effective for him.

Welcome Deb.You will find lots of knowing and caring people here.

Your Dad sounds like a wonderful person and I am sorry to hear of his diagnosis.Please invite him to join us as well.

Please keep us informed and let us know how you all are doing as this rollercoaster ride goes along.

Hi Deb: it looks like your dad is on track. I had quit smoking 19 years before I got cancer and had a hard time believeing it. I hope your dad's lymph nodes continue to shrink and that he soon finds himself in the "no evidence of disease" category.

Don M

Welcome to the board. That is great that your Dad responded so well to treatment. My Mom to was dx withstage IIb nsclc had a left pneumonectomy 3/16 radiation to r hip started chemo taxol and carbo with anaphylactic reaction to taxol stopped with 1st dose, now going to try carbo and taxotere. Keep the faith my prayers are with you and your family.

Deb

My Dad was 76 when diagnosed with NCLC. By then, he hadn't been smoking for 23 years so we were quite taken by surprise too. Anyhow, we're hoping this Augugst that he will be a 5 year survivor. So there is lots of hope even if you're not young.

Good luck to you and yours. Prayers a coming'for all of you.

Gail P-M

Hi Deb,

I would also like to offer a warm welcome to you! It would be great if you, your sister and your Dad could all come for a team effort in beating this beast.

Sounds like the treatments are working for your Dad! It is just wonderful when they do work. I am advanced stage nsclc too and so far, I am 30 months from diagnosis without any evidence of disease. If your Father continues on in health, then that would be just fantastic! How far away from you does he live? And does he live alone?

It is frightening when a parent is dx with a life threatening illness. I remember all too well that feeling of helplessness that comes with. I am sure that you know exactly what I am talking about. Hang in there. We will give you all the support we can muster. You are very welcome here.

Cindi o'h