Radiation??

rinksgal

Well the Oncologists office called today, we are suppose to see him tomorrow to find out what kind of treatment they plan to do, now that my s/o's cancer is back in his mediastinum area in his lymph nodes They called to set up an appointment for Thursday for him to see the radiation oncologist. So does this mean they are probably gonna do radiation on him????? We still go see the oncologist tomorrow. What kind of side effects can this give him??? How many treatments do they give for this and how is it given?

My mom had radiation for lymph node involvement. She met with her radiation oncologist initially and he said there was nothing but good that could come from her having radiation. And boy was he right...the lump that was visible on her neck is now gone. The main side effects my mom had were burns to the skin (much like bad sunburns) and a burnt esophagus (hard for her to swallow).

When she started the treatment she went in and was marked with "tattoos" as to where the radiation would be given. Then she went in daily for 33 treatments all together and it would take about 2 minutes for her to get the treatments. She said it actually took her longer to get undressed than it did to get the treatment. Also, about halfway through the treatments it is typical for them to remark with new "tattoos", because they didn't want her receiving too much radiation in only one angle. And you can only receive so much radiation in one place anyways.

I hope this helps. I am sure once you meet with the doctor and get some of your questions answered it will give you a little peace of mind. All my best to you.

HI RINKSGAL,

MY HUSBAND HAD RADIATION TREATMENTS. THE FIRST TIME, IT CAUSED HIM TO HAVE TROUBLE SWALLOWING. HE LOST WEIGHT FROM NOT EATING WELL. THE SECOND TIME HE HAD 10 MORE TREATMENTS AND THIS REALLY HAD AN EFFECT ON HIS SWALLOWING AND EATING. THE THIRD TIME HE AGAIN HAD ANOTHER 10 TREATMENTS AND HE COULDN'T EAT AT ALL. IT WAS BAD. BUT THEN ABOUT 3 WEEKS AFTER THE LAST TREATMENT HE STARTED TO EAT A LITTLE AND NOW IS BACK EATING MUCH BETTER.. I THINK EVERYONE HAS SOME TROUBLE SWALLOWING WITH WHERE THE RADIATION IS. MOSTLY BY THE ESOPHAGITIS. GOOD LUCK.

My wife had radiation treatments on 4 different bone mets. It was every day, five days a week, for 10-14 sessions. The sessions themselves were brief. The radiation can be tiring and it can bring on throat hoarseness or difficulty swallowing, depdning on the angle of the radiation. This was temporary with my wife. Good luck. Don