gemzar (gemcitibine)

JonathanS

Hi Johnathan; I have heard of "Gemzar", but do not know anything about it. Whenever I ask my oncologist about these new meds, he simply replys that they are not yet "proven" or "approved". I was told that when I was in a "no evidance of disease" postion (presently my currant Dx) I would be eligible for a vaccine trial showing encouraging promise for preventing re-occurance. Then only a few weeks ago, the vaccines manufacturer sold out to Phizer which then canciled the trial. Needless to say, I was very dissapointed by this news. Currantly undergoing Cranial Irradiation and will see the oncologist on the 21st of July. Any information regarding new treatments or trials would be greatly apprerciated. Later and thanks, Kentwisc.

Hi Peg; Sorry, I did not ask the oncologist at the time as to who the manufacturer was. Actually I was so upset hearing this news that I forgot to ask. This trial was actually brought to my attention by an oncologist at the University Of Wisc Madison hospitals. She told me of this trial in feb when I saw her for a second opinion on my Dx. She told me of it again in the middle of May and assured me it was still planned. When I phoned her about the 2nd week of June, she informed me of the Phizer purchace. I had hopes of contacting Phizer to see if they were considering the trial in the future or if it was just not going to happen. I am not sure how to go about this. I hope and pray your husband improves and we all have the strength to fight this. Best wishes, Kentwisc.