Tarceva Eye Irritation Warning

Bill

My wife has had occasional dry eyes since starting Tarceva. Easily remedied with a drop of two of eye lubricant until recently. More recently her dry eyes symptom has become more of a persistent eye irritation not so easily relieved by eye drops. I have been warned that this eye irritation is a potentially dangerous symptom as it can escalate from conjunctivitis to conditions such as keratitis and corneal ulcers. If one considers the widespread effect that Tarceva has on epidermis from head to toe it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that the eyes may eventually be affected as well. We are in watch and wait mode on this symptom at present. If anybody has seen an ophthalmologist about this problem please share his or her opinion.

Thanks.

Excellent point Bill...makes a lot of sense. We have found taking B12 complex helps with the skin splits and dryness...you may give it a shot. There is also a brand of Centrum multi vitamin for eye health...can't remember exactly what its called.

My wife has bright red conjunctivitis in both eyes. She has tried a couple of different eye drops ( Visine Original & Murine Tears ) with limited success. No luck completely elliminating the irritation and pain even with the decongestant drops. Usually one eye will continue to bother her even after using these drops. Has anybody found an eye drop or product that completely stops these symptoms ?

When my husband had Lasik eye surgery, the doctor had him take flaxseed oil capsules twice daily to help keep his eyes moist. It really worked, and he is still taking them (just once a day now). It helps with dryness in other parts of the body, too.

Lyn

Bill,

I agree with Ry, your wife sounds like she needs some antibiotic eye drops. Could it be that she just picked up an infection and it is not related to the Tarceva. It is allergy season right now and I've had the "itchy eye" thing off and on for a few weeks now.

Also, my husband has a bad problem with dry eyes and uses eye drops called "Naphcon A" by Alcon. They are a bit expensive but have been the only drops to give him some relief.

Please keep us posted.

TAnn