To David(C) or Karen

kitkathi

Hi,

Glad to hear David is feeling better. My dad has had a 2nd recurrence of his SCLC. He has 2 spots on lungs and 1 on LFT adrenal glands. He will be starting a new chemo regimine with Topotecan. Have you (David) had any side effects with that? He will be having chemo 3 days in a row and then 3 weeks off.

Thx for any info,

Kitkathi

Wow, his disease is following about the same pattern as Dave's, it looks like (different parts of the body, but about the same time frame). What chemo was he on for his first recurrence?

I'll have to get Dave to speak to the side effects, but Addie is taking topotecan right now as well, she may be able to add more. Since Dave has bone mets he's also getting zometa (see my post about his pain) and so the day after chemo/zometa he has excruiating pain but that is probably the combination of the two. Dave also seems to tolerate chemo much better than alot of folks, and the biggest thing he has is the feeling all over like he's been hit by Snowflake's beer truck. But he needs to post here, because he has issues that he just never talks about so I just don't know.

Topotecan seems to be a good chemo for SCLC. I don't know why they don't use it more. Some doc told me that it's actually an older chemo for SCLC, and then when the newer drugs came along, like carboplatin, cisplatin, VP-16 and CPT-11, they started using those for first line. but topotecan seems to be pretty effective.

I wish him well. I hope he is holding up strong through all of this, especially with his heart problems.

God Bless, Karen

Hi Karen,

My dad started his first chemo regimine w/carbo and VP-16 like Dave. When dad found out that his new chemo is typically used to treat colon cancer (I think he is doing CPT-11 & Topotecan---don't know if it is the same thing)I laughed and said because he is a pain in the a_ _!! I got a good laugh out of him :-)

Kitkathi

pretty funny. I think the CPT-11 is used for colon cancer - my mom has colon cancer, and I think they tried it on her. she's had several different chemos in the last few months because if there is a side effect, it's going to hit her, so they've been trying different ones. but I know she hasn't had topotecan.

you know, that carbo and VP-16 really seemed to work well, but on reflection, I think it's the radiation that really killed the SCLC the first time. I'm sure the carbo and VP-16 combo helped, but obviously it didn't kill every last cancer cell, since the darn stuff keep reappearing!

Karen

Karen,

I have to agree with you regarding the radiation. Unfortunately dad can't be radiated again and probably wouldn't if he could. The side effects made him so miserable he wanted to give up. The first recurrence responded well with chemo so hoping that it will at the minimum keep his cancer from spreading any further.

I just bought my plane ticket today. I'll be home in less than 3 weeks. My mom can't wait because she needs a break desperately (like you do). My brother is looking forward to it also because since Jan. he has been coming to my parents house everyday to make my dad lunch and check up on him.

This will be the first time EVER that my dad and I will be able to spend the entire time together since now he is "retired" from work. I won't have my "posse" (daughter/husband)with me so I plan on taking him out of the house shopping (he loves it), lunches, fishing, movies etc. I can't wait!! Dad and I really have a special relationship...he was the one who took me shopping for my first prom dress and wedding dress :-)

Kathi

Kathy...

My best wishes to your day for having to go thru this again. :roll: As Karen said, I'm on Topo too..so figured I'd add my two cents here, if you don't mind. :)

I get infused 4 X a week (same three week cycle as your dad will have though)....but my onc said it's five doses condensed...so that on Fridays I can have the Neulasta shot for WBCs. I get a total of 12 mgs. @ 3 mgs each of the four days. I tolerate it very well. Just a little fatigue here and there.

From the second cycle on (I just finished cycle#4 of 6 yesterday) I've been getting Aloxi on the last day with premeds, instead of Zofran. It is for nausea...which I don't have a problem with anyway...but it seems to give me an extra goose of energy...so you might have Dad ask about it.

My understanding was that Topotecan was originally approved for tx of ovarian cancer! :?: Haven't found anything about it being used for l.c. prior to the platin drugs. But DO know that my onc said the reason they use it second or third line for l.c. now is "because TOPOTECAN WORKS!!" That is now one of my mantras! 8)

TOPOTECAN WORKS....and it seems to be with me. My pancreas is clear and the liver tumors are all shrunk by about half. With two cycles of Topo to go....I'm hoping I'm ALL CLEAR by the time I'm done.

Hope your Dad is too, Kathy....and I know he'll get GREAT medicine by having his special girl there for a visit. Let us know how he does....ok?

Thx Addie!! My dad typically doesn't have a problem w/nausea so hopefully he won't with this time. I'm VERY happy to hear that you are responding well and I hope for continued success for you!! Thx's again for chiming in. I could use all the advice I can get:-)

Kathi