ankle and feet swelling

nancy c

:? can anyone help me? my husband is getting tarceva 150 mg daily and avastin iv every two weeks; now he has extreme swelling in his ankles and feet--to the point they are taunt and shiny--he has much trouble walking now due to the pain in his feet--has anyone ever heard of this with these drugs? or with nsclc? i called the dr and he will see him monday am?

who knows what will happen by monday???

thanks,god bless,nancy c

thank you cindi-i appreciate it-it is scary seeing him go down hill. these last two weeks he has been very ill. my son(he's a pilot) came home today from alabama for the weekend and said we have to sit and make some different plans. he sees the quality of my husbands life's is very poor right now. he has been in bed most of the week ill. he is on two different chemo drugs and its zapping him-is it really worth it? i am very confused and my husband states there is something going on "in my body"???

i just wish i could take all the pain and disease away from all these people. it is not fair.

god bless,nancy c

I have to agree w/everyone else. When I go for my dr visits, he always asks me " have you noticed any swelling in your feet or ankles?" I asked him why he asks me that on every visit and he said that swelling can be a sign of blood clots. (Which is very common in lung cancer) I don't want to scare you, but it is something that should be checked.

TAnn

thanks to all of you--you are wonderful; i know-i am considering the ER -he is up about every half hour these last few hours; but has trouble walking; i do also know ankle swelling is a sign of heart failure so i am worried. he said tonite"i think the end is near-no one can feel this bad and something not be going on" i just tried to reassure him i thought it was the chemo. but he said"i'm not joking"; he nows i am on the edge with this ankle swelling and believe me it is extreme. he is somewhat uncooperate about going to the ER or calling the dr again. i will see how he is later tonite. he hasn't eaten at all today--just fluids-so i know he is miserable. god bless,thanks,nancy c :)

Hi Nancy.

Sounds like he is the kind of fellow who likes to be in charge. And, really, who can blame him? I like to be in charge of my life also.

When he is ready, he will let you know when it is time to go. But, he might need some help in making up his mind. When I have been on the beam many times of should I stay or should I go, there have been so many times that I wish I would have gone sooner rather than later.

Something that might be helpful in persuading him would to be to try to help him to realize that he will not get better or feel better right now without some kind of intervention. If it is an emergent situation like a thrombo or heart failure, then he could code on you. That would not be a very good thing.

No. I think the advice above sounds reasonable. He needs to let go right now and trust the professionals at the hospital. They can decide whether there is something that can be done or not to make him feel better. He needs to let go and accept some help.

Cindi o'h

He has to go. You know him better than we do so however you do it get him in the car and go. You're doctor will tell you to take him in if you call. And really..if you're going to hit an emergency room on a weekend you don't want to be there Saturday night so toss his butt in the car. If he won't get in the car call an ambulance. Good luck!

:) his ankles are less swollen today--and no he would not go to the ER--i told him if not improvement by tomorrow--i'm taking over. he has been sleeping for over 24 hours now--up and down a few times; ate alittle soup late last nite-but back to bed; he begged me to let him stay in bed and not call the dr. i'll see what today brings.

thanks to all of you,nancy c

Hi Nancy: I would just like to say I hope your husband is feeling better. Hopefully he will acquiesce and go the the ER if the swelling is not down. I think I know how he feels though. Going to the ER is sort of like letting the disease make another claim on you.

Don M

:) Don,thanks for your reply; i am going to the dr tomorrow with him; he is up and about more today although still sore and tired. his feet are still swollen and puffy-hopefully they will go down some.

i told him to stay off them as much as possible. he is not as nearly sick as he was these last few days. i hope he is making a turn around. god bless,nancy