Positive thinking licks cancer

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp ... lf/3161519

Colorado golf coach gives prayer credit

Denver Post

BOULDER, COLO. - As news of his lung cancer circulated among friends and colleagues, Colorado men's golf coach Mark Simpson realized one of his toughest challenges would extend beyond beating the disease.

It would come in staying upbeat when he saw the doleful expressions on the faces of family and friends. In staying positive when there didn't seem to be a reason.

"One coach told me that he had a sister who fought lung cancer but passed away," Simpson said. "His heart was in the right place, but I certainly didn't want to hear that."

Lately, the news surrounding Simpson, 54, has given everybody around him a reason to smile. He left Wednesday with his golf team for the Big 12 championship tournament in Trinity just north of Houston 16 days after surgery to remove two tumors in his lungs. He was sent home from the hospital six days after surgery, but not before being proclaimed cancer-free.

Family members have called it a miracle. The deeply religious Simpson agrees. Before the surgery, his oncologist at Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center told Simpson and his wife, Valorie, that he had never seen tumors shrink so dramatically after four sessions of chemotherapy.

"I know I had people praying for me all over the world, and I know how much that helps," said Simpson, who has recruited several foreign players during his 29 years as CU coach.

Following his initial scare after the Dec. 3 diagnosis, Simpson formulated a strategy to beat the cancer.

He and Valorie began interviewing surgeons.

"I only wanted people around me who were positive," Simpson said. Surgeon Richard Parker was convinced the battle could be won.