Just joined. Hope I'm not to forward with questions.

Guest marchwinds05

Guest marchwinds05

I just joined and I hope that I am not to forward with questions. My DH was diagnosed the first of March with NSCLC with mets to the spine and some lymph involvment (2 I think). He has had 10 rounds of radiation over 2 weeks. The last radiation was 3 weeks ago and one round of Zometa. Since then, he has been in bed in a dark room with no noise. Having a real hard time swalling pills and some food. Mucous has started up the past week or so and has been real bad (every 20 min. sometimes), otherwise he tries to sleep. Has recently had double vision. Not eating much and is weak. It sounds like a lot of people on here with this are leading a somewhat semi-normal life and have some mobility and can do things. I am so stressed out worrying and have anxiety also. I guess what I would like help on is whether or not this is worse than what I am allowing my brain to believe. Everyone seems so nice and helpful on here. I hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks

forgive me if I sound too forward but I'm wondering could some of this be due to depression? the "dark room" is what is making me wonder?? i went through 12 weeks of rad and also several chemos although none were Zometa (so I honestly can't say to what degree that will knock you for a loop) but i think that most of us have had our ups and downs during treatment. I had to force myself to eat, force myself to get out of bed and try to lead any kind of a life. Has he been fairly positive since diagnosis? have his doctors been encouraging and telling him to ignore the statistics?

as I said I'm sure the rads/chemo have knocked him for a loopI don't doubt that but it sounds like he may have some very bad additional anxiety and depression. I'm sure that many others will be able to give you some first hand feedback about the effects of Zometa and that will be of more help to you but I just wanted to give you another possiblity.

I'm glad that you found us and I'm sorry you have to be here.

Welcome! The radiation will continue to work even after the treatments are over, and this could cause him to be very tired. Zometa is a good thing for bone buildup. He must eat regularly and take his medications if he is to gain the strength to fight this disease. It does sound like he is depressed. Might want to let the onc know about this. Don

Glad you are on the website. Make sure you ask your onc about the side effects being expperienced. Communication with the doc is very important. if the doc doesn't address the issues you ask about get another if possible. There are lots of us out here leading normal or seminormal lives. Your DH is not the only person experiencing the disease of cancer. There are many groups that can help you and your local hospital probably has a group of cancer supporters who could give you and him some great encouragement. It is a shock to find out you have cancer, but it can be dealt with in a positive way. praying for you both.pammie

If I am being too nosey............just ignore me, but my heart is in the right place.

My DH has NSCLC, also. He stays very busy except for the 3 days of chemo and a couple after.

Do you mind if I ask your hubby's age?

I remember you said something about light sensitivity.....is that why he is in a dark room?

Does he have other health challenges?

Are you with him at home?

Is the feeling of wanting to sleep/stay in bed, due to physical issues or is he just "hiding" (we totally understand the desire to hide, but you just can't give in to it for too long)

The first thing I did when I got on this forum was to read my husband all the positive news I could find.........and there is a lot of it. I am not ignoring the cancer or the diagnosis, I am just trying to help him stay optimistic. The mind has as much to do w/ getting better as medicine does, in my opinion.

Tell your hubster that we care and that he should try to sit up and make a fist with us!!

Lots of love and support

Pat and Brian

Guest marchwinds05

Thank you everyone so far for encouragement. No, you are not being too nosey! My DH is 56. He has always been a very active person. Went to work at 6 in the morning and would work 10 hrs, then do lots of stuff at home. We just built a new house this past year and have been in it 6 months. He had back surgery over 10 years ago and we thought this was just a problem from that. I don't think he is hiding. He got nauseas on the ride back from the radiation and it's still here or worse. The rides home were awful. Light just seems to really hurt his eyes. Yes, I am at home with him. I take an hour break a day (except today, I just can't make myself leave) away. He is extremely weak. I keep trying to take him little bits of whatever food he wants, but it's not much, or can't be swallowed or stay down. So far, he wants no noise, so I can't read to him. He is a tv person, but it has not been on for a long time. I have calls into doctors now. We have an appt. Thurs. with the onc. , it is two hours away. I hope we can make it. Had to cancel last week due to this extreme illnes. Now he is sore from that too! Thanks for all the care, it is helping.

Dear dear Marchwind,

My hubby is 56,too. What a loving wife you are.......

I wonder about the ER if you are 2 hours from the oncologist?

Gosh, I wish we could run over.............We want to help, but feel so frustrated.

When you called the onc. were they surprised at how sick he is?

Know that we care and consider the ER...........if he is too ill to climb in the car for the trip to the onc on Thursday there are ways to arrange for transportation that allows him to lie down.......Can we help somehow?

Hi - My dad has LC and radiation has done wonders for his spine mets. He was recently hospitalized for dehydration and Phomonea and spent 2 weeks there. Apparently if they don't breath deep there is an increased chance of virus in the chest. He was also coughing up mucus, which has reduced since then. Definitely check with the doc.

Take it hour by hour - here if you need to vent

My husband also did the radiation and chemo, and there were bad days but not like you describe. Usually he did well until his blood counts dropped from chemo and he was in bed for a day or two. It just seems he has something else going on...maybe an infection or low blood counts. Make sure you let the doctor know all the symptoms when he calls. He will probably want him checked...and I think the ER suggestion is a good one. In the meantime, make sure he gets LOTS of fluids...it will help with the chemo. Gatorade is a good idea to keep his electrolytes up. Let us know what the onc. says. Hang in there, I know its hard.

Rochelle

I may be a different sort of voice here... I'm going to say that it *Might* not be depression. I say this because you described something very similar to where my Mom is. She is 57, and also was very active. She has days where it's all she can do to make it out of bed. I heard you say what I have been wondering all along... "I thought people had better days than this. Is this not normal?"

Definitely be very up-front with the onc. about all of the things he is feeling, explore the possibility that depression could be contributing... but also realize that might not be 'the answer' and though I can't offer any suggestions, I will at least say--Me too for what you are seeing, and even perhaps what you are feeling. I am so joyful for those here who are still able to be active and up and involved in life. My mom is not physically able to... and it scares me that her 'normal' looks so different than the 'normal' I have heard about and hoped for for her.

Praying for you and your husband. (((hugs))) to you.

It could be that bone mets are just harder to work around than brian's liver ones????????

We're new to this whole thing, so we are sure there are tons of things we have no clue about. All I know is that this whole thing is difficult for all of us.

Thanks for another perspective, Val.

Love and hugs for your mom and daughter and you, too.

Welcome!

I would like to chime in a vote to call your doctor and have them either push up the appointment sooner or take a trip to the er or even a general practioner. Better to get looked at sooner.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Wendy

Dear March,

I am soooooooo far behind in writing to newcomers that I will never catch up, but I wanted to give you a great big WELCOME! My hubby is also 56.

Unless I missed it, I didn't see that your husband has had any chemo. Is there a reason for that?

My thoughts on the vision problems are that he needs a brain MRI ASAP to see if he has any brain mets.

Also, my husband has been on Zometa for almost a year for bone strengthening and it has done a good job. Although he is having some extensive bone met problems right now, I shudder to think what they would have been like had he not been getting Zometa for the past year. Also, he has had virtually no side effects with Zometa.

Love and prayers coming your way, March.

Peggy

First welcome. I also agree you should call the doctors or go to the ER. He sounds a bit like my mom and may have an infection. You mention trouble swallowing, is he drinking lots of fluids? He may be getting dehydrated. My prayers are with both of you.