First time posting

Hi all,

It's so comforting to be in this community of others who understand...

I'm Julie, and I still consider myself new to the journey of lung cancer. My Mom was officially diagnosed on June 11 of this year, after a brain MRI found 3 brain tumors and a chest CT scan found hundreds of tumors. The oncologist told us that all treatment is pure palliative and will hopefully extend her life from 6 months to 2 years. She noticed a lot of improvement with brain radiation and will begin her Taxotere/Carboplatin chemo day after tomorrow. I live an hour and a half away and leave my 9 and 11 year old children with my husband every other week and go spend time helping mom. I am so torn and feel like I've walked into a nightmare. What can I expect? How do I keep my sanity?

Thank you all for being there!

Hello Julie Clark age 35.

I know it must seem like a nightmare. BUT, don't get all caught up in what the onc said about 6 mo to 2 yrs for your mom. He could be right, but it's really a judgement call on his part, based on what he sees as average survival time. And as we all know, average is average - and there will always be those below, AND those above average. You mom is doing well with the brain radiation, what's to say she doesn't do REALLY well with her next set of treatments. I've only been on this board since last November, but have seen some pretty encouraging results with people "the experts" said only had a few months left. (you've heard of the fat lady singing?)

Learn as much as you can about this disease, and your mothers particular situation so you can be as much help as possible. Sometimes it's the caregiver who has to TELL the onc what is best for the patient. If you have time, I suggest you spend as much of it as possible reading all the previous posts that you can - even all the archived ones. There is so much knowledge on this board, and I am certain you will find some very useful info that will help with your mother. Take care, Julie.

David Piercy age 46

Hi Julie,

Welcome to our community. First you do have to get the statistics out of your head. Just like David said its just an average. Did you read Davids signature, now theres a survivor, along with many on these boards. The early stages of dx are very difficult, you are so overwhelmed with fear that it seems to take over. Finding these boards has been what is getting me through this monsterious illness. Just being able to talk to people who really get it, cause trust me you will come across some who dont, but thats another story. I am sure its not easy leaving your family either. Eventually you will cope a little better, its not so much that it gets easier, its just you learn how to live with it. I know you will find a lot of support and information here. Welcome Julie

Guest DaveG

Julie:

Even though I was restaged to Stage IV in April, I will still be a 2 years Survivor in September. One thing to remember about lung cancer it can turn many directions and still be survived. You have already read story aftory of success here and you will continue to read many stories like those. Yes we have recently lost some of our members, but anyone who has been around lung cancer long enough realizes that is the reality of this dises. One, however, has to read those stories as being successfull at the same time, becuase each of those individuals lived far beyond all expectations.

I have far from given up. The reports I have received from the CT Scans and physical exams have been very much in my favor. It sounds as if you mother's reports have been the same, and probably will continue to be the same. Hope is what we have and cherish. Always have hope and live hope.

Hi, Julie! Welcome aboard. Not only are statistics averages, but they are "old". There are new discoveries every day. So the longer your mom lives, the better chance she has of living even longer. To keep your sanity as a caregiver, you need to have some normalcy away from cancer in your life and you need a support system, where you can share what you need to share. This is a good place for that, but you also need one there with you. Much info and support here. Keep us posted. Don

hI jULIE,

SO SORRY YOU HAD TO COME HERE BUT WE WILL BE HERE FOR YOU THROUGH THE GOOD TIMES AND THE BAD TIMES.

ONE THOUGHT THAT I AM SURE YOU HAVE ALREADY THOUGHT ABOUT IS HAVING YOUR MOM COME TO YOUR PLACE OFF AND ON. WHEN MY DAD TOOK SICK, HE ONLY LIVED 4 MILES FROM ME, BUT I MOVED BAG AND BAGGAGE TO HIS HOUSE WITH MY HUSBAND AND SON. WE WOULD LIVE WITH HIM WHEN THE TIMES WERE ROUGH AND GO HOME WHEN HE WOULD BE HAVING GOOD TIMES. I KNOW YOUR MOM IS 90 OR SO MILES AWAY, BUT MAYBE SHE COULD COME TO STAY TO RELIEVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY SOME OF THAT STRESS OF TRAVELING BACK AND FORTH.

HANG IN THERE AND HOPE FOR THE BEST. THE BEST BEING A LOT OF GOOD DAYS. GOD BLESS

Hi Julie,

Welcome to our family. Yes, this is one scary situatioin when the diagnosis is cancer stage IV. My husband received the same news in November 02. Since then we have cried and prayed and resolved to fight this disease like never before. We've had ups and downs and gotten stronger and stronger. It sounds like you mom is responding well which is a very good sign that she will be able to be a strong fighter as well.

Please keep posting so that we can support you.

Blessings to you,

Peg

Hi Julie,

I am also 35 and my mom was dx. in february of this year. she had a massive tumor in her chest and 14 brain mets. the full head rad. eliminated all but 1 brain met and they are not sure if its alive or not. were doing another CT in a few weeks.

This road is very very scary at times. but there are times you will find much comfort and even some humor. Dont read the interned its too scary and you'll dwell on those numbers and it will eat you up. there are new treatments all the time and no doctor knows how anyone will respond to treatment. there are people in stage 4 who are in total remission. just ask questions and be informed of all things.

Hi Julie-

My mom also was diagnosed similarly with 3 brain mets and a large mass in the left lung. She lives a hour and half away from me too. (Her and my dad recently just decided to move from San Jose and move here next to me in Sacramento) Having her closer is a god send. I thought it would be impossible and couldn't believe I would be so lucky to have her near by so soon. I'm new to this whole thing like you too. My mom was diagnosed the first week in May and I have ups and downs but I'm definitely better than when I got the initial news...THAT was awful. I find it easier to deal with things when I'm with my mom. When she's away from me, I worry more and get depressed. I bet you feel that too. One thing that's really helped me is getting my mom to try supplemental (vitamins, Noni juice, etc.) things while she does chemo and it gives me hope...it gives her hope. I also try to keep up to date on new clinical trials and treatments. That also gives me hope. I tell people what I'm going through and there is always someone that can offer me a "miracle" story. It really helps to hear those survivor stories. Please feel free to private message me anytime. We are here for you and will offer you any information we can to help your mom fight this disease. One great thing about the people on this board is that we are all "fighters". I feel empowered by that.

Hi all!

I wanted to deeply thank each of you for your hearty welcome and words of encouragement. It means so much and has really changed my attitude and the way I look at this disease. Mom did well after her first chemo treatment but is having a very hard time with the heat.

Let's all work togethr and encourage each other through this never dull, often arduous, and always growth-inducing journey :lol: