Last Day of Chemo!!!!

Remembering Dave

I proved my Oncologist wrong!! Last monday he said my blood counts were the lowest they have ever been and that they would not be high enough for me to get my last round of chemo this week. Well, they were up and today is my last day of chemo after 6 rounds!!!! Wish I really had the energy to be excited, ha ,ha. We had 2 couples and thier babies come out this past weekend that we travelled to China with to adopt last fall and we all had a good time going out on the pontoon boat and even going swimming. This is the first time I have had my 22 month old adopted daughter swimming and she loved it once she figured out I was not going to let her go. I believe excesise truely helps the chemo cruds. Just wish I had figured it out a little earlier. I have gotten a little more active over the past few weeks and can really tell it has helped. After today I will be getting the preventative brain radiation, PCI, starting around Aug. 15th and then will be checked every 2 months. Last Monday my Onc. said that by all indications I am in remission, I prefer cured, but will have a CT scan done on July 28th and we will be able to better see what is actually happening. My prayers are with everybody here. Keep the positive attitude and the Faith, Never give up!!!!!

David C

Kudos to you David... Determination has a lot to do with recovery and I think you are definately on the the right track. Glad to see the counts go up and hope they stay that way. We'll be thinking of you on the 28th!

Does anyone know of any tricks to making one get up and going? Cheryl just finished round one (8 days) of Chemo and is on her 8th day of 25 radiation treatments. She will do the last round of Cisplatin-V-16 in three weeks. The last few days she has been very lethargic... sleeps most of the time. I try to get her to feed the horses or go for walks... she just doesn't have the energy. What made you get out more Dave?

-Jack-

Good for you Dave !!!!

Chemo is an interesting experience, but one that has an end !!!

I can tell that you are seizing each day and enjoying, because that is all any of us in this whole wide world have.

When I have my whining session in my head, then I remember 9/11, and my whining subsides.

But we are allowed to whine. :lol:

Jack: I had both radiation and chemo (separate times) with the breast cancer, and I am hear to tell you that radiation was sneaky stuff. And I didn't even have internal organs affected. I called it my "nine-month-pregnant-tired". With the chemo I learned to PACE. Do a little, read a chapter in a book. Do a little more, read a little more. Energy level is not the same, but it does return.

gail

Carpe diem, David my friend.

Awesome to hear you out and about on the boat, swimming and playing with your family. Just what the doctor SHOULD have ordered. Looking forward to hearing the good CT results. Take care, and you never did tell me any West Virginia jokes!

David P.

David,

Glad you are out there LIVING your LIFE! That's what we have to do in between all of these cancer related things that are only part of our lives.

About Cheryl...Radiation treatments can cause our red blood cells to crash, and this can happen very, very fast. Combine that with chemo and it can be almost immediate. Have her blood counts been checked recently? She may need a transfusion, Jack. My Mother did, and the improvement was significant and immediate. If the sleeping all the time continues you should have her evaluated by her doctors.

Fay A

David - GREAT NEWS! Last chemo treatment!

Jack - Cheryl having both chemo and radiation at once? I am sure her energy is zapped and she needs her rest as her body is working hard to kill the cancer with its weapons and also build new strong healthy cells destroyed by her dual treatments!

Blessings,

Peg

I MADE IT!!!!! Last chemo treatment is over. I bought some ribs and a good dark beer to celebrate tonight. The beer will probably put me out pretty quick so will have to save it for later tonight. Thanks for all the replies.

Jack and Cheryl, you just have to force yourself to get up and about. The radiation and the chemo really does a number on you but still getting out for just a short walk helps. Rest is very important too so just go out when you have the energy. It is important to stay out of the sun too so maybe an indoor place like the mall or a grocery store would do. It is a delicate balancing act that everybody probably has to figure out on thier own.

David C

Dave, I think I will have a glass of wine tonight and toast your success. I agree that activity is important. I take Lucie out to lunch or dinner frequently now just to get her out of the house. I think it has helped her gain emotional stability and strength, and now she is doing more things. Keep in touch. Don

Yep Dave, it is a week of last chemo treatments. Earl has his on Monday. He is absolutely whipped. Get dressed - take a nap, walk downstairs - take a nap, eat breakfast - take a nap. Do you get the picture here?

The good news is that this is the last of the chemo crud. Down for awhile but then up up up.

I tell him that and I am not going to repeat what he tells me. Ha Ha

I am so very happy for you Dave, you deserve a break. Kiss that beautiful baby for me.