METS TO LIVER, WHAT NOW?

norme

HI EVERYONE,

MY HUSBAND BUDDY HAD SCANS YESTERDAY OF THE BRAIN AND CHEST AREA. THE BRAIN AREA SHOWS NO SIGN OF THE THREE METS THAT WERE THERE PREVIOUSLY. EVIDENTLY THE WHOLE HEAD RADIATION WORKED.

BAD NEWS, THE RADIATION FOR THE CHEST AREA SHOWED CANCER IN THE RIB AREA HAS NOT CHANGED. NO BETTER BUT NO WORSE.

REAL BAD NEWS AND NEED ALL OF YOUR HELP. METS TO LIVER. DR SUGGESTS ONE OF TWO THINGS. SEE THE CHEMO ONCOLOGIST AGAIN AND SEE WHAT HE THINKS AT THIS POINT OR SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND TALK WITH HOSPICE IF THE CHEMO DR THINKS IT HAS GONE TO FAR...

AFTER GETTING MY BREATH AND THE TEARS TO STOP, I TOLD HIM I DON'T THINK THAT THE HOSPICE TIME IS RIGHT NOW. I DO KNOW THAT HOSPICE CAN COME IN AND HELP A LITTLE BUT I AM NOT READY TO GO THAT ROUTE FOR HIM. WE WILL CALL THE CHEMO DR AND TALK WITH HIM AND SEE WHAT HE HAS TO SAY.

I NEED ALL OF YOU TO TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT METS TO THE LIVER AND WHAT CHEMO MEDICINES SEEMS TO BE WORKING GOOD FOR IT BEFORE WE GO SEE HIM. A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE IS BETTER THEN NONE AT THIS POINT.

PLEASE KEEP MY BUDDY IN YOUR PRAYER TONIGHT.....THE TEARS ARE FLOWING AGAIN, BOY THIS IS HORRIBLE. STRANGE THING IS HE IS FEELING A LITTLE BETTER AND STILL DOING HIS WALKING. FIGURE THAT.....

Oh my dear Norme!

This is unbelievable. Buddy has been doing so well. As I remember RFA (radiofrequency ablation) has been used for liver mets. Check this out:

www.cancerablation.com.

I spoke with a Dr. Williams awhile back about this procedure for Bill too. I e-mailed him and he got back to me right away. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. It is way too soon to give up.

Many blessings to the two of you,

Peg

Hi Norma,

I'm sorry to hear this bad news. As you can see from my signature, my husband also has mets to his liver and back. He received carboplatin and VP16 BUT his cancer is SCLC and I know the treatment is different for that, so I really can't be of any help. I just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and sending lots of extra prayers.

I will say, that Hugh doesn't show any symptoms that I can see with his liver. He seems healthy right now and the doctor says his liver "looks good".

I agree with Peg. check out RFA. chemo-embolism may be an option also, but not sure. In any case, the liver regenerates pretty quickly. It is important to get it treated right away because once the liver is past 40% tumor, there are fewer options.

My mom's liver became 80% within months, and no symptoms, so I would urge you to move fast.

.... the article is about primary liver cancer which is different from liver mets, but it probably wouldn't hurt ... I haven't double checked this infomation

Lycopene Found to Suppress Liver Cancer

The following study results were reported at the American Academy of Cancer Research Meeting in October, 2002. A five-year clinical study conducted in Japan examined liver cancer prevention in high-risk liver cancer patients. These high-risk patients were hepatitis C virus carriers, those with cirrhosis and/or those having a family history of liver cancer.

The study showed a remarkable 50% hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer) suppression in those participants who consumed a daily combination of natural tomato extract (Lyc-O-Mato® brand of lycopene) providing 10 mg carotenes, (30% alpha, 60% beta-carotene) and 50 mg alpha tocopherols (vitamin E) as well as tocotrienols. These significantly positive results suggest treating patients at high risk for cancer with a mixture of natural tomato extract (Lycopene), carotenes, and a vitamin E complex holds promise as a viable clinical application.

American Academy of Cancer Research Meeting, October 2002.

THANKS EVERYONE, I KNEW YOU ALL WOULD COME THROUGH.

THE RADIATION DR SAID THIS MORNING , - - I QUOTE "THERE ARE SEVERAL FOCUSES OF CANCER WITHIN THE LEFT SIDE OF THE LIVER". IASKED HIM WHY THERE WAS NO SIGN OF ANY KIND OF LIVER PROBLEMS AND HE SAID THAT UNTIL CANCER TAKES UP MOST OF THE LIVER OR IT GET INTO A DUCK, IT DOES NOT SHOW SIGNS. WHEN IT DOES BECOME FULL OR A DUCK STOPPED UP, ONE SIGN IS JUNDICE (NOT SURE OF THE SPELLING), - - THAT HAPPENED TO MY DAD. BUDDY HAS BEEN HAVING CONSTANT PAIN IN THE LEFT SIDE BEINGS THE BONE CANCER IS IN THAT AREA SO MAYBE THE LIVER HAS BEEN HAVING SIGNS OF PAIN THERE TOO AND WE DIDN'T KNOW.

WE GO TO THE CHEMO DR A WEEK FROM TOMORROW, HE IS A VERY CARING DR SO WILL TALK TO HIM ABOUT RFA AND LYCOPENE THEN.

Hi guys,

I am very sorry to hear of your troubles, but I did look at your profile of what you have been on thus far, and believe me, there are many other drusg that you can have!!! I research this disease so I know... but time is of the essence...you want to get back on chemotherapy as soon as possible, and I am sure that you will. Like I said there are many drugs for you to go on, but the question which of them is best....now obviously that is for you and your oncologist to decide, but I did do a little research for you guys, and the from what I have read, there is a new regimen of two new and approved chemotherapy drugs that is showing dramatioc results in metastatic NSCLC....They are

CPT-11 (camptosar) with gemzar (gemcitibine)

This seems to be a very aggressive way to get at this demon, and very promising, ask the oncologist if he can have this first.

There are other drugs that I have come across as well that are effective against NSCLC.. they are

navelbine

cytoxin with vincristine and adriamycin

taxotere

etoposide

Copy this info down or print it out and ask the oncologist....Knowledge is power!!!

Jonathan

Norme, Sorry to hear your bad news. I researched RFA for Gene and spoke at great length to a Doc in Joe DiMaggio Hospital in Fort Laurderdale Fla. They are very aggressive at this particular hospital and have had good results with the RFA. I think it would be a good thing for you to look into, they are doing this treatment in many places now. Our prayers are with you both. Carol

Norme and Buddy-

I was deflated by your news. If Buddy is still feeling strong, I hope you opt for further treatment. Your onc will supply a second opinion, but you might consider looking even futher afield. Praying for you guys.

I am so sorry to hear of your husbands setback. I have no personal knowledge of liver mets - but, I think whats most important is that you said your husband feels good - to me, thats the key in which direction you should go. I feel strongly that even if the Doctor does not feel he should try any more options, you should insist he does. You two are fighters and only you and your husband know what is best for you both. You need to convey that to your doctor and YOU make the final decision. My prayers are with you. Love, Sharon

Norme,

I am so sorry to read the news about Buddy. Please know I am thinking and praying for you both.

I've read really exciting things about the RFA procedure and I sincerely hope it is an option for your Buddy and my Dad.

Please keep us updated and take care of yourself,

Kelly