I couldn't believe what I was hearing

karen335

Has anyone ever had their onc. doc say...

I don't know what's in your chest. Duh!!!!! I have had chemo and radiation. Not sure it's cancer. :roll: LC doesn't just sit there and do nothing for two yrs. :D What do I say or ask, well can I have a PET. Maybe I should ask for another broncoscopy. Have had two. Second one, pulm said he couldn't find tumor and no cancer cells. That was Oct. 2003. I had surgery last year for brain met, supposedly adeno cancer. Can't figure out what is going on. Has anyone ever experienced this ?

Should I look for a new onc ?

Thanks everyone,

Prayers and hugs,

Karen

Karen, I think I would consider a new onc. If he doesn't know what's going on, maybe he should send you to someone that can find out. I think the doctors sometimes forget about the emotions we go through when dealing with this disease.

Karen... I don't understand your question.. Is he saying that he doesn't know what is in your chest based on a scan? What does he see? Does he see anything? Does he see something?

What does the radiology report say, if there was a scan. Is he saying there may be scar tissue or there may be cancer and he doesn't know if there is cancer hiding in the scar tissue? I think you might get some replies if you give more information.

Well, if there is nothing there then maybe all that prayin' has been helping, huh?

Cindi o'h

I was a little confused by your post. Is this a new onc or the one who treated you from the beginning. If it's the one from the beginning, then something is definitely wrong. He should be thoroughly familiar with your case. If you feel uncomfortable, maybe you should take your records and go to another doctor. Please let us know what's going on/what you decide.

Joanie

Just about all the docs I see tell me that it is NEVER inappropriate to seek a 2nd opinion. If they didn't believe that, I'd be dumping them in a heartbeat.

I recently went through week after week of being sicker and sicker with a gallstone and stopped up bile duct while 2 docs stood around wondering if there was cancer in there somewhere. Well, so what if there was? Were they just going to let me turn as yellow as I possibly could and die from biliary sepsis instead of cancer? DUH. Next time I'll know better -- they either treat what's wrong with me, or I go to someone who will.

I think the problem is that there is sometimes a fine line between persistence and becoming such a nag that the doctor dumps you! I try to stay on the right side of that line, although it isn't always easy. Over time, I think I've convinced them that they won't be messing with me like that, and that I keep up closely with my condition -- including keeping copies of everything, so that if I need to take a walk and see someone else, I can do it quickly.

Not that I'd suggest you do this, but I think what I'd do is to ask this doc to refer me to someone who CAN tell me what's in my chest if he can't. You know your relationship with this doc and if this would help or not.

Whatever the case, I hope it is resolved soon and that you find out it's nothing to worry about.

Di

Sorry to confuse everyone. The comment by the onc. was based upon my last CT scan. She said the scan has remained the same for two years. That is when she said she what she did. Maybe it's not cancer. Said lc doesn't just sit there in one place, it moves to other areas. She is the onc who has treated me from the very beginning 3-2003. I have had four opinions from thorascic surgeons and one onc. from City of Hope. They said the same as my current onc.. Correct dx. and tx. Now this was two yrs ago. My current onc. does not read scans, only uses written reports from Radiology (Same radiology for 2 yrs.). No change in scan or reports. Stable, no Plural Effusion, nothing. She hasn't ran any other tests. Last major tests were May 2004. All were clean... I just want to make sure all is ok, while we continue to watch and wait. No chemo since Oct. 2003 and finished chest radiation May 2003.

Cindi, your right. I have always believed the Lord has healed me and all the prayers have been answered...

Thanks everyone,

God Bless, prayers and hugs,

Karen

Karen,

We also got some confusion about results of my Mom's CT SCAN:

my mother was out of the country and coughed up blood (it has now stopped) but she got a CT scan and the radiologist said it was scar tissue and not active tumor, I didn't think they could distinguish scar tissue from active cancer on a CT scan, so we will definitely get another CT scan done when my Mom gets back to Canada, a broncoscopy also showed no cancer cells.

In your case, maybe there is only scar tissue left since it hasn't changed in 2 years??? I hope so. Good luck

Rana

Thanks Katie/Rana,

I'm glad I could make my questions a little clearer. I see her again in 3 months. The only biopsy I had was when they did the broncocopy 3-2003. The bronc in Oct. 2003 showed NED. I had a needle biopsy done in April 2003, it was inconclusive. I bet it is scar tissue from the radiation.I am so blessed...

I appreciate all your responses

Prayers and hugs,

karen

Karen,I have had the cancer show up 2 more times in 2 diff. places in the last 18months and have had scans and x-rays every 3 months since the very beginning of this.

The cancer never showed up at all on any of the last several of the x-rays and scans.

Only way it was found was by broncosope procedure.