Latest news on my Mom.. Blocked Windpipe

kimmek

Hi everyone, hope this day finds everyone well. Just a quick update sorta on mom.

She has been having troubles breathing for awhile now. Seems like Dec. it started getting worse. Nothing we tried, massive amounts of prednisone,antibiotics, oxygen, nothing made it better. Over the last few months I have watched her go slowly downhill and become really depressed over this. In the last month it had gotten so bad that Mom could not onger walk frm the car to the front door, bathroom to bedroom without huffing and puffing. The only thing that helped was to just not move. Well Tuesday I went to pick her up for Pulmonary Rehab and she looked bad and seemed worse so we made a trip to the pulm, doc instead. The doctor we saw was not her normal doc but turned out he will be in the future we liked him so much (finally the perfect pulmonoligist). He thought since we had tried every med and treatment and nothing was working and the fact that her o2 sat. was 72 that she could go in the hospital for further testing.

CAT scan showed about 90 percent blockage on the right side of her windpipe when it splits of into the lungs. After a broncscopy this morning, it was determined that this is from the radiation she had. The 2 options that we were given were 1. Live with it

2. Stent, but that comes with its own precautions. Like infection, rejection, etc. But thats the case with anything foreign put in your body. Mom didnt even hesistate in her choice, the stent. The way she has been living well its not even living.

Has anyone had anything like this done or know anything about it? I am going to see what I can find, but it doesnt really have a medical name and im coming up with very little info. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kim

Hi Kim,

My uncle had this procedure a few weeks ago and it has been very successful. He has a tumor in the esophagus that was bleeding when he would eat and now seems to be eating better without having so much internal bleeding. Hope this helps. Best of luck to your Mom.

Kim, I recently was treated for 80% blockage of my windpipe.They did a laser surgery thru use of a bronchoscope and removed as much as they were able to.I then did 23 more radiation treatments and chemo (taxol) but had to stop the chemo due to problems.

The cancer is still there and I'm waiting for drs. to form new plan of treatment.(starting to run out of options.)

I also had a stent put in.

Hi Kim,

First off, thank God for that wonderful doc who tracked down the problem. We LOVE him :wink: .

I have not had the stent, but I have had to have my esophagus stretched twice due to radiation scarring. I need it done yet again. The gastroenterologist offered a stent as a more permanent solution to always going back for a a "stretch". He spoke highly of them and there seemed not too much risk involved. I am opting to stretch a time or two more before considering it. But did want to let you know it seems it is becoming a more common practice.

Hope your mother continues to improve.

Kasey

Kim..

First of all ..FINALLY! there is an answer for your mom's breathlessnes. I remember when they were saying it was all in her head. That made me mad. If someone says that they cannot breathe, then dammit! they cannot breathe!

I am glad this doc finally listened to her and is willing to help her. Don't know what the consequences of her different options would be, but I am just elated that something can be done to help her and that you have found someone who will! I love this doc too!

Cindi o'h

Lordy, I'm so glad the new pulm. doc finally figured this out for your poor mom!! :? I have no experience with the stents...but I just hope it's the answer for your mom and that she'll be breathing easier REAL soon!!

Bless her heart...she's a real trouper!! Keep us posted...ok?

Thanks all, I hope this morning to meet with the doc again as Mom wants to have this done ASAP. The doc yesterday talked liked she would be released from the hospital this am with an appointment with her reg pulm (need to tell him that he is It!!)to refer her to another pulm that does this procedure. So hopefully since this is a fairly easy procedure she can get it done now. She wants to waste no time.

Will keep everyone posted om how all this works out.

God bless you all

Kim

Hi Kim..

Thanks again for the update. Will definitely keep your Mom in prayers and hope that everything goes smoothly for her and that she recovers nicely and her quality of life improves.

You are a great daughter and wonderful, caring girl. Any Mom would be so happy to have you in her corner!

love,

Cindi o'h