Mom

Elonda

Hello,

My mom has chosen the path less travelled. She has been diagnosed with metasis lung cancer. On April 27, 2005 she found out that it was in her brain, adrenal glands, liver, bones, and a 5cm knot on the outside of her right breast which is where her lung cancer is. She has made the choice to live out the rest of her life with as much quality as she can.

It's been extremely hard especially for her (of course). She realizes that because she has smoked for my entire adult life (i'm 39) that this is a big part of why she is sick. But she also says that she has lived a good life and has made peace with the man upstairs and did that years ago. It's been hard for us also. I feel like my mom is trying to have some control over her life right now. That being she is making her funeral arrangements, giving her things away to who she wishes them to go to and is trying to take things one day at a time.

It has been extremely hard having to separate my mothers things out and sort through papers, pick out what she will be buried in and just basically get her things in order. We have tried to be strong for mom and do what she asks of us. We support her in her to decision and stand beside her all the way. My mom is only 59 yoa and far too young to be going through this but no matter what she has her family and that is the most important thing right now.

I came to this support group to try to open up and share some of the feelings i'm having because I feel that is important.

Thank you for listening.

Elonda

Elonda, this will be a tough journey. We are here to answer your questions or to just lend you support or let you vent. I think having a place like this lets you be stronger for your wonderful Mom. I pray for strength for you and peace and comfort for your Mother.

Elonda,

I'm glad we are able to be here for you. The days ahead will be very bittersweet, some wonderful and some very painful. Please let us help you. We are all here to answer questions, offer support, say some prayers and just listen. Let us know what you need.

Elonda,

I certainly agree with Beth, Bittersweet and very painful. You mom is a very brave women. She is getting her things in order as this is something she feels she has to do while her eyes are open. She does not want to be a burden to her family after she is gone. So she is taking care of things now.

Just love her and be with her as much as you can. Always remember those wonderful memories you shared and she will always live in your heart.

You are a wonderful daughter, and you being there is making it so much easier for her.

Prayers for her, for peace and to be painfree.

Maryanne

Your Mom's situation sounds a lot like mine....my Mom was older than yours is, but sounds like a pretty similar dx and similar course of action.

It's hard, but cherish the time you have and don't be afraid to say the things you are thinking about....my Mom and I would talk until the wee hours about everything and nothing....it was a good feeling to know that she left this world with nothing left "unsaid".

My prayers are with you as your travel down this path.....