The Singing Fat Lady??/ Frank Lamb Update 5/18/05

Frank Lamb

Hello everyone.Time for an overdue update on me.I have been to 2 VA hospitals (Butler and Pgh),UPMC Shadyside Hospital(in Pgh.),and Hillman Cancer Center also in Pgh.

My PCP at Butler VA wanted to introduce me to all the hospice facilities and benefits available thru the VA.She seems to think the SINGING FAT LADY is looking for me.She is giving me 3 to 6 more months of existance.(obviously doesn't know me very well after all this).

All the drs.at the other 3 hospitals actually met and consulted with each other.They are all highly regarded cancer drs.They are all in agreement that there is nothing more they can do for me at this time so far as any treatments.They said the main objective at this time is to keep me at home(not in hosp.)and on my feet (not laid up and sick ).

The last round of chemo & radiation shrunk the tumor in airway & surrounding area enough that I'm not doing too badly.They all agree that there is nothing treatment wise that can stop the spread or kill the cancer cells I currently have at this time.This does not mean they have given up on me or that they will tell THE SINGING FAT LADY where I live.

They all say I'm basically a terminal patient but we will watch and moniter and whenever I take any turns for the worse then as needed they will go in there and do whatever they possibly can to open airways,install more stents,or ???.(whatever)

So for the time being I have every 6 weeks appts. with thoracic surg,rad & chemo oncs.Meanwhile I am to play golf,turkey hunt,fish,work in yard,drink bud lite,eat chocolate donuts,and shoot at THE SINGING FAT LADY if she appears.If for any reason I have increased problems (SOB,breathing,bleeding,prolonged coughing or other symptoms) get in there and they will do all they can to improve my condition and buy me as much quality time as is humanly possible.They too will shoot at THE SINGING FAT LADY if she appears.

So all of you know,I am in an OK frame of mind with all this.My wife Connie (GOD BLESS her-what a wonderful woman)is handling this ok so far as well.

However it would be advised that any overweight women that sing a lot should not stop by the house without a prior phone call and introduction.

THE SINGING FAT LADY is not welcome and by all means should approach with extreme caution.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank,

Attitude is half the battle and yours is terrific. I firmly believe that each day brings the opportunity for some pointy-headed scientist to yell 'EUREKA'.

I have my fat lady slingshot at the call and will use it as needed.

Hang tough, dear friend, we need you here.

Frank,

How about if I come with Katie too? I am close - in PA!!! I can bring Teddy, the dog. He HATES the fat lady! That would rally be some scene!

Yes, everyone here loves you, Frank. So many heartfelt prayers going out - you and Connie just gotta feel 'em. You keep fighting - we keep praying. That's the way it works!

(((Frank and Connie)))

Kasey

Don't worry, Frank. I hear the fat lady is too fat to get through your doors or windows, just be sure to keep the garage door closed at all times!!!!

Never thought I would giggle so much at a post that contained information like yours did. You are such a great guy and an inspiration to all of us.

With you standing at the door, and all of us on the outside, the fat lady doesn't stand a chance.

Prayers for you, my friend.

Love,

Peggy

Frank,

I'm so sorry to read your news, but I am so inspired to hear your attitude. So many are, and will continue to be, praying for you. God bless and tell Connie that we are all here for her too!

Love,

Frank, there is no way to convey what your post did for Brian and me. I could never type it if I tried a hundred years.

Just know that you are a gift to us and we second all your motions and no matter how high you raise the bar we are determined to face our battle with the determination, grace, generosity of spirit and joyful living you set as an example.

Our can of Fat Lady Whoop A** is at the ready.........

Love

Brian and Pat

Frank,

You are truly someting else. God Bless you and now let'see what we can do about this fat lady. I'll be around Clarion over Memorial Day so I got the north end covered. The fat cow is history if she comes that way.

Good luck Frank. You are an inspiration to all of us. Hoping and praying we can keep her at bay for a long long time.

CharlieD

Frank,

Not to worry....The Fat Lady is penned up in my back yard. As long as I keep feeding her Triple Chocolate Cookies she doesn't seem inclined to try to escape. And she certainly can't sing with her mouth full. :wink:

I promise to let you know if she gets loose.

Much Affection,

Fay A.

Frank,

I can't begin to tell you how I felt when I read your post. You and your lovely wife Connie are such an inspiration to me. I feel saddened knowing that there's nothing they can do for you right now, but I feel blessed to know someone with your inner strength, attitude and determination. We will all pray that the fat lady doesn't find you for a very very long time indeed. Sending love and prayers to you and your family.

Sue

I think the chicken cult needs to send Frank some chickens...you won't shoot the chickens will ya Frank? Well hell Frank..this stinks. I hate to sound like a broken record but what about Tarceva?

I love your attitude...keep drinking beer, eating donuts,kicking butt and taking names.

Rochelle

Frank -

Your posts always bring a smile to my face (or sometimes at least a groan :wink: ). Your attitude is AWESOME and so inspiring. You continue to be my hero. If the Fat Lady gets too close throw some beer bottles at her and then pelt her with the donuts until she runs away.

(((((Frank & Connie)))))

Much Love,

Amy

Dear Frank, If I were a fat lady in Pa now, I would have my house up for sale and move out of the state. Fat Ladies are no longer allowed anywhere near Pa.

Best wishes