I have Gallstones!

Justakid

I have to have surgery......I have gallstones! The trip to the ER for nausea.....gallstones. Being sick for 2weeks....gallstones!

Have an appt with the surgeon next week, I'm going to ask him about a port-a-cath. I think I'm finally tired (after a year) of looking like a junkie who doesn't know how to shoot up. When I was in the hospital (over night) I was stuck 6 times. The IV blew my vein out and my entire forearm is black, the veins were so bad they were going for the wrists. I guess a port-a-cath makes sence at this point.

I'll keep ya'll updated, see the thyroid doctor tomorrow.

Well it would be nice if they could do the port the same time as the gall stone surgery. I hope you are just having the laproscopic procedure??? I had it a few years ago and it was doable...just plan on resting. Would be nice if you could stay overnight, I know they usually do it outpatient. Good luck Beth.

Rochelle

From a recent round with only one large gallstone, I can relate to how icky you feel. I just kept getting sicker and sicker for a month, until they finally sent me to a GI doc who fixed it right up with an ERCP procedure and (thankfully) no surgery. It was mostly the stopped up bile duct making me sick, but it was the sickest I can recall ever being in my life.

Hopefully you will feel a TON better once they get this taken care of. Good luck with the port too -- so far, my veins are holding out and aren't being abused so much, but it seems as though everyone wants to stick you in the hospital, no matter how many were there before! And at the oddest times.

Oh well. Let us know how you do -- best thoughts to you.

Di

Beth, I am so glad they found the problem. I had my gallbladder removed and am so thankful that I will never have another attack. The pain and nausea can be terrible. I'm sure you will feel much better once your surgery is over!!! Prayers for you!!!

Beth,

Sounds like you haven't been having too much fun lately..Hopefully they can do it like Ry's surgery and you will feel much better. It's always something, huh?

Chemo can really do a number on our veins. It's been over a year since I've had any IV chemo and they still have a hard time finding a vein. I think the port is a good idea.

Good luck to you my friend,

TAnn

Beth!

Wonderful to have some info and a plan!

Brian LOVES his portacath.

You are a trooper! I bet GB surgery will be nothing after all the storms you have weathered.

Still, baby yourself and hug yourself for us.

Lots of love,

Pat and Brian

When I read this post....first one I thought of was Dianne....so I'm glad to see she's already chimed in. Based on her experience....you'll be feeling LOTS better, Beth, once this procedure is over!!

I'm so glad they found out what is going on. We sort expect you to have a little gall to go along with all that pi$$ and vinegar, honey...but not quite like THIS...ya know? :wink:

As for the portacath...my onc suggested one after my relapse even though my veins are a plumber's delight and I had no trouble during the first 6 cycles of chemo. I have to say...I'm really happy to have the port...cuz for one thing, I can knit, write, eat lunch...make raunchy hand signals :wink: (just kidding)...all while being infused with NO problem!

When I start chemo (and I get it for three days now) they leave it accessed for the whole time...so I don't have to get stuck every day. The only thing is, it has to be kept dry...so I bathe on those days instead of showering. Not a big whoop. They tape over it so I don't accidentally yank it out at night either! :?

The port will be a big help. One less thing to worry about if you don't have black arms, huh?

I'm just so glad they figured out what was causing you to feel so crummy...and hope they get you fixed in a jiffy! I'll keep your barstool warm for you at Cin's Pub....ok? Don't count on there being any vanilla vodka left though! :wink:

Keep us posted, Toots!~

Hi, Beth! Been there, done that! Had my gall bladder removed several years ago, and now they do it laparoscopically, which means they don't slice you open, but use about 4 small incisions, including the bellybutton. It runs in my family. My mother had it, my siter had it, my younger son had it and my daughter had it. We should have made a rock collection -- well, maybe not. Hang in there, gal. Wishing you the best. Don

Oh my goodness Beth. So, that's what all that uncontrolled nausea was about. Sure hope all of this is taken care of soon. You sure didn't need this. This is kind of ironic, but Mike's last scan showed a possible gallstone.. lol no symptoms yet, guess time will tell. Somehow, it just doesn't seem fair, but then who said any of this was fair. Take care kid. We have our eye on you and keep you in our prayers.

Love and prayers,

Sue

I just had a gallbladder full of sludge removed in Feb. - was scheduled to do it outpatient, but got an infection and had to go in via ambulance, the pain was so bad.

While you wait for surgery, keep your fat intake as low as possible to keep your gallbladder quiet - that tactic got me through 4 months.

The first day, day and a half after surgery are the worst. After that, you should get better pretty quick.

Hope it goes smoothly for you.

[Edit - it was Feb., not March]

Um, yeah, listen to Jen...having a large popcorn at the movies with extra butter is pure HELL with a bad gall bladder. I didn't have stones, I just had gall bladder attacks and out that sucker came - laproscopically. I was shopping the very next day! (Time off from work for "recovery" just in time to finish my Christmas shopping!)

Yeah, crummy....that's a way to put it...and icky...and almost that full-day morning sickness feeling of being "just a little bit pregnant"!

I had the option to stay overnight for my outpatient procedure due to my "history". Talk to your internist about it, you may, as well.

Take care,

Becky

Hi Beth,

Sorry you have to go through an operation, but at least they found a reason for your pain. You will feel so much better after your recouperation.

Prayers that everthing will go smoothly and a speedy recovery.

Maryanne

Beth,

Gallstones, gaw what next! Although this could be a big reason for the violent side effects you have been experiencing and could be a blessing in disguise. Anyway, let us hope and pray it is. Don't have any experience with gall stones (yet), but from what others are saying, it doesn't always have to be a big deal. Sure hope it isn't for you and you snap back as usual.

SOOOOOOOOOOO, as usual, hang in there kid. Chin up and GIT ER DONE!

CharlieD

Well geez, Beth!!!! Seems like you are keeping some doctors in Richmond very busy and in the red - if you know what I mean :roll: .

So sorry you are having this latest episode with gall bladder :cry: . I have been praying pretty hard for you to catch a break. Just not your time yet, I guess. I will step up the prayers some for a successful and uneventful surgery SOON to take care of this nausea and pain. Then get back to prayers for your BREAK which has been LONG overdue in coming.

Believe me I am doing my part here and I know you are doing yours - hanging in there. We just gotta believe your time - your break - will be here soon.

Warmest wishest and BIGGEST prayers, Beth.

Kasey

EEEE GADS!!! Isn't it amazing when you have dealt with cancer that gall bladder surgery doesn't seem like much! :lol::lol::lol:

As for the port. Make sure the surgeon knows well in advance you want the port put in while asleep! I had mine put in when I was out for the biopsies in 2001. I have said we should all be born with one of these. It sure makes life easier!! I have it used for anything -like the last few weeks I had IV antibiotics for the infection in my leg. They can leave it accessed for 7 days before it had to be changed. SSSSOOOOO much better than getting your arms used as a pin cushion.

Love Cindy