Need Some Advice From Someone Who Knows

mama4zach

Went for my 1 month check up after last round of chemo and radiation. My tumor has decreased to about 1/4" size. The original was 5. Anyhow my onc wants me to have preventative brain radiation. I think she called it PCI. If you have had it please let me know if you would do it again or not. I hear it is bad. Thank you for anything you can share with me.

Thanks,

Nancy

Dear Nancy,

I wish to encourage you to go to the SCLC Forum and page through some of the posts on that forum You will see MANY MANY and MORE post on PCI and that several of our members have had it. We have talked about PCI in length here. I'm sure you'll find something if you look back at some of the posts.

I know of a few people who have had it and say they are very glad they did. They are 5 and 6 year SCLC Survivors.

Hi Nancy,

I had 20 PCI treatments and it wasn't bad at all. They put me on a low dose of decadron due to brain swelling (headache) and that fixed that. My hair did fall out again (what little had come back after chemo) but it is slowly but surely coming back. I finished treatments the end of November. I would definitely do it again. I would go for my treatment at 8:15 every morning and then drive to work.

Best of luck to you. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Nancy B