Highway to Hell/An MRI Story

Debi

Deb,

Shared sympathy with your awful experience.

I close my eyes and won't open them.

I say hail marys back to back the entire time.

I have actually fallen asleep in the darned thing.

However the time leading UP TO the scan is another story... like you I run through all these appointments by myself. I have been known to be anxious.... the more anxious I get the more I drive myself deliberately to distraction with a good novel or rented movie. A very cultivated give a darn attitude, cause otherwise I'd be a wreck...

God bless you, darlin', for expressing so beautifully what so many of us go through. I'm really glad the scans were good. I hope the dizziness stops. Did you know you can get a virus in your inner/middle ear that causes dizziness, called "labrynthitis"? My dad had it very badly once. A strange thing that comes and goes, with no rhyme or reason, and very little can be done about it. Like a head cold, it runs its course and disappears. Stranger than fiction.

Love ya, kiddo!

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Debbie,

I so understand how you feel. I am constantly looking at the techs and trying to read their body language. I was once so convinced that it had spread to my spine that I spent hours at the office running my fingers up and down my back trying to isolate the location. When the tests came back negative my Dr. just laughed and told me to quit playing chiropractor.

My next CT scan is scheduled for June 8th. I'm trying not to freak out this time. So far so good. We'll see how it goes.

Kevin

One of my friends had a breast biopsy yest and she freaked out b/c the dr asked her "how old are your kids". She took that as a bad sign. Results today were negative, but I thought of this post when she told me that yesterday :)

Hi Debi,

That was a GREAT story! Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm still waiting for somebody to come up with a cure for the anxiety at scan time. You did a terrific job of remembering your thought processes and putting it on paper. It sure put into words what a terrifying time it is getting scans and waiting for the results.

Love and hugs,

Peggy

Debi, I know you must have in hell, I am so sorry you had to go through it. I cannot imagine. Actually that music was what I listened to in High School. You are a very good, discriptive writer and I agree you should submit this for publication. Keep your chin up and tell your body to put ALL your cancer cells on the Highway to Hell!!!!!

David C

Wow..all you guys are so terrific, thank you for all the responses. I wish that I had the time so I could respond to each of you, so many of you made me laugh or struck a chord with your replies.. My job is so crazy right now that I have time only now and then to post anything...

My dizzy/faint/vision spells have left for the most part. The last word I got from my regular doctor was when I spoke to his nurse and she told me..."Ummm, Dr. "Smith" said to tell you he's sorry but he has no idea why you are dizzy, I'm just so sorry we can't help you :shock: !" Anyway, I am on both a diaretic, and high blood pressure pills and I'm thinking both of them were too high dose. I researched it online, spoke to the pharmacist and cut the dosage somewhat (don't try this at home! :roll: ) and have been doing fine( I monitor my blood pressure at Walmart :roll:) .I'm just hoping I don't have to perform surgery on myself anytime soon because the sight of my own blood makes me squeamish!!

Anyway, thank you for your answers, and your empathy. I think about you all, every day and always wish you well...

Debi: I enjoyed your post. I know you were having a hard time during the procecure, but the "Highway to Hell" bit was really funny. Kurt Vonnegut Jr ha a way of writing about sad things and is funny at the same time. I could never stand the 1980s era of screamy mimi rock and roll. I am glad you got through it ok.

Don M

OH MY GOD ! ! ! ! !

Having said that, I'm glad to hear your okay???!!!???!!!??? Or are you????? :P:P:wink:

So, as for the dizziness, what else could it be? I guess I can think of a few things! Allergies, ummmmm

okay, I can only think of one thing right now! :roll::oops:

(((((((((DEB))))))))

Debi, you are too funny, and I think it's unanimous that you should submit this for publication. :!: And don't be surprised if recruiters start calling for the next opening at the local hospital. I agree you should steer away from surgery, though. :roll: Glad you're feeling better.

BeckyCW

P.S. I agree with David -- USE that AC/DC thing to send any cells that are even thinking of cancer on that highway to hell.

How timely that I should read your post (a little late). Next Friday I go for my 6 month check complete with MRI/CT and the rest of the works.I'm 3.5 years from dx and am still getting the wobblies about the tests........by this time next week my husband will be living with a raving maniac who will be ticked off if he doesn't ask after my day but will be equally steamed when he pokes his nose into my business by asking how my day went!

After all these test times he's wised up to the fact that he can't win and will mention a few weeks before that it must be almost time for my check up!! Bless his heart.

Were you at my last MRI? Except for the music you wrote my story.

I wonder if you ever get to be blase about these things, if so I sure hope I get there soon.

Thanks for starting off my day with a smile.

Geri

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Debi,

What a story and you made me feel like I was going through it with you. I have never had any of these tests but you sure made me feel like I did!! I am so happy everything was A OK and that you have the pen to prove it!! LOL

Hugs and love to you

God Bless,

Jane

Excellent story! Tell more! I'm counting on the fact that they'll all have a happy ending.

The "Highway to Hell" on the headphones while you're trapped in the MRI part would make such a scene on a sitcom. Obviously, you can laugh about it now. Thanks for sharing it with me.

Debi,

I have no idea how I missed this post when you first wrote it. You are a great descriptive writer and made me feel like I was reliving my last MRI. The only difference in how I felt is that they gave me no radio and no pen. The tech was very uninformative and distant. I like you tried hard to make eye contact and develop that "friend" status. I failed. The results were good, so all of that was for naught. That being said, I am sure I will go through the insanity again the next time scans are schduled.

Loved reading it. Thanks for taking the time to share in words what most of us feel but can't express.

Nina

Debi,

What a well-written post. I see a lot of myself in your story. Once when my Mom was hospitalized,I spoke with her Oncologist who then winked at me at the end of the conversation. :shock: I proceeded to disect any possible reason for the wink.I drove my family up a wall about this wink. Naturally, I jumped to the conclusion that a wink to a family member was bad news.I never did determine the meaning of thet wink,but it sure did give me something to think about! :wink:

Hugs,

Lynn

• 4 weeks later...

Debi, I am so sorry that it took me so long to read your wonderful post! I am thrilled that your test results were WONDERFUL!!! I thoroughly enjoyed your story and like others, think you should have this published! Being inpatient and a worrier, I would have thought on exactly the same lines that you did. I will have to share my last MRI experience at another time. But...I am severely claustrophobic if that tells you anything in advance! After three tries, I had to undergo general anesthesia at the hospital in order to have an MRI. During the first try, there was a power failure while I was in the machine! Your story really made me smile!!!