Important questions...

Donna

Today we are supposed to go to NYU for a consult with the oncologist..Wouldn't it make more sense to get a pet scan first, then talk about treatment..it has been 1 week, since the diagnosis, and they are taking their sweet time..

I would think further diagnostics are more important than the treatment after the pet scan..Lets get the whole picture first!!!!

Sorry for being so hyper today..It upsets me to think this cancer is spreading and they are so laid back...

:(

Donna, I had asked mine about a Pet Scan also, She felt she could get all she needed to know from a Ct Scan and that Pet Scans can give false readings sometimes, which I have also read doing research. So in my case we just do CT Scans or MRI/Bone scans if needed and it now has been three years. Works (just doing the CT Scans) for me...Unfortunately it's not one glove fits all. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best. Rich

Mark spoke with the dr, he ordered a CT scan of the head, chest, abdomen..he also ordered a bone scan..

You guys were right!! We will not be going to NYU today, instead Mark is getting these tests done..Hopefully next week, we will meet with the dr and treatment will begin..

God Bless all of you for your caring and strength..

Donna :wink:

Hi Neighbor Donna,

They sent me for a Pet scan only to see if the cancer was anywhere else and it "lit up" in my colon so (also the original place in the lung) they then sent me for a colonostmy and it turned out there was nothing. Therefore a false reading in my colon on the Pet Scan!!

The important thing is the Cat Scan (that is how they found mine initially) and then either a broncoscopy or a needle biopsy to insure that it is indeed cancer. At least it was for me. I was diagnosed stage 1a NSCLC right after the needle biopsy and did not have the surgery for four weeks. Talk about agony, anxiety and being worried to death.

It really seems like they do take their time. But from what I have read some tumors grow very slow.

Bill in Clarks Summit

I guess I am getting paranoid..The doc said the CT scan is all he needs with contrast..So, Mark will light up too..he is on his way right now..I told him to try to get some answers after the scan..If it is possible!!

Thanks neighbor for all your help :wink:

With me. The CT was on a Fri. It showed up several places. Mon. I had a bronchoscopy. On Wed. I got the results. Thurs admit to hosp. Fri. surgical biopsies of other areas, port was put in at that time. On the next Mon. I got my first dose of Chemo. It was a whirlwind!!!!! :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

So from the time it was seen on the CT to first treatment it was 10 days.

Good luck.

Cindy

Went for the CT scan of the head, chest, abdomen..There is a very small,very round, perfect dot on the liver..

The nurses we know said this is a good sign..I am hoping this is good news for Mark..

Do you think it is cancer? I wonder where it started, was it the lung, or the liver?? All thoughts are welcome..

He is going for a bone scan Tuesday, and Wednesday NYU..

You guys are all great..You have made this journey so much easier for me..

God Bless You one and all..

Donna :wink:

Hi Donna,

I don't think I've had a chance yet to welcome you to our website. WELCOME!!!

My understanding is that PET scans are very accurate at finding cancer (better than 90% accurate), and unless the cancer is very small, it can't hide from a PET scan.

However, there is something like a 10% chance of things lighting up that aren't cancer caused by inflammation, scar tissue, etc. These are called "false positives". "False negatives" (showing there is no cancer is rare unless the lesion is very small). Also, it's very hard to pinpoint the exact location of a tumor.

A CT scan does a much better job of pinpointing the exact location, size, shape, etc. A PET scan is very good for detecting bone lesions. PET scans aren't normally part of an initial workup. They aren't generally done unless there are symptoms or pain problems outside the area that the chest/abdoment/pelvic CT covers. They are very expensive (approx. $3,500), and some insurance companies don't like to pay for them unless it is "medically necessary".

About that liver met, since it is very small and perfectly round, I would "guess" that it is probably ok. I'm not a doctor and certainly not an expert, but I don't think there is anything "perfect" about cancer, including the shape of most tumors. That's why I'm guessing it's probably just a normal spot.

This is probably about 3 paragraphs more than what you wanted to know, but I hope it helps.

Once again, WELCOME, and I'm glad you found us. Stay close to this board because you will get a lot of encouragement, knowledge, support and laughter. It's a great group of people, and it's a very active board.

Love,

Peggy

Hi Donna--

I know how hard the waiting for treatment can be. My father was recently dignosed with a recurrance of lung cancer through a bronchoscopy. Then the oncologist also wanted a PET cause of some other problems. He had to wait 2 weeks for the PET. Then it was a few days for oncologist appt. to get PET results. Then they got that and the doctor wants a CT which is tomorrow. Next Wed. is meeting with rad. onc.; then back to the regular oncologist to make a plan. You do feel helpless with all this waiting, knowing the cancer is inside of your loved one and not being "fought." However, in my heart, I know it's best to get the total picture to make the best plan. But why can't it be done more quickly??? Anyway, welcome to our board. It's a very special place. Good luck in the battle.

Gail p-m

Dear Peggy,

Thank you for all the information..I will keep you in my prayers..I will also keep all these wonderful people as friends for many years to come..I am so glad I found you..

Love and many prayers,

Donna

Thanks Gail..I will keep dad and all of you in my prayers..Good luch..Love the picture..I lost my dad at age 60..He had COPD, and I don't think I have ever gotten over his loss..

Your dad and family are in my prayers..

:wink: