Thoracentesis Time.. (tap the peripleural fluid)

cindi o'h

Here we go again. It is Memorial Day and tomorrow morning I am going to the Cities for the drain. First they will do a couple of blood tests including an INR to check my clotting time. Then I get hooked up for IV sedation (at my request). I will have the intervention radiologist do the thoracentesis. I am glad about this, because the last time I went in to get this done, the effusion had resolved on its own and we would not have known this had I not had the imaging to show.

I really believe that there has been some improvement in the size of this effusion too. I was very sick there for awhile. It has been two weeks since the CT scan and if I am right in that the effusion is getting smaller, then it is not caused by cancer.

I will know by the end of the week what the cytology report says.

I asked the surgeon if that white density on my lung is not cancer and just a squishing from the large effusion, if there is a chance that it will bounce back. He said something like it may or may not. He said that my lung is like a dirty 5 or 6 year old sponge sitting in the basement...compare that to a new one right off the hardware shelf and the new one would bounce back alot better than the old basement one!!! hehehe .

Either way this test comes out, I know that I will be in for a lot more doctoring to get to the bottom of what is going on with my breathing, my lung "lesion" and this fluid. We are just in the beginning stages of figuring it out. I will try to talk with my pulmonolgist tomorrow too.

This may be related to the rheumatoid arthritis that I have as well. I read something about RA being connected to some pleural effusions. I have a rheumatoid nodule on one of my fingers (a sore) and I have had some aching and swollen joints so I know that the RA has been active.

It is a puzzle. It will require a good detective to put it all together and fix me up.

The good news is that I bought myself one of those wheelie walkers and I just love it. That, combined with the oxgen tanks, and I can get around pretty good in the world. I just love those motorized shopping carts too. I feel alot more freedom coming my way by using these aids. I feel alot stronger in the leg muscles now too since I am walking farther with my walker. I know this sounds strange..even to me. I mean, I used to be an athlete!! It is all in gratitude though. I am a grateful survivor, that is for sure.

Now, with all this moving around that I am doing, I am expecting my weight to go down instead of up, up, up!!

I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow. My good friend, Joebug, with the heart cancer, is going to be at the U getting his CT at the same time I am there, so he can help me with some of my stuff, I hope. It will be fun to have someone there instead of being all by myself.

Wish me luck for easy resolution and no mets...no mets...no mets!!!

love, Cindi o'h

Lets call you NO METS CINDI !!!

Ya know I am praying for ya hon, everything crossed.

I hope when they drain that fluid from you, that will help your SOB.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow, and wish you luck.

Maryanne

Wish me luck for easy resolution and no mets...no mets...no mets!!!

You got it sweetie.....all the luck we all can muster...and it's yours!

Hoping you'll get some good news by the end of the week...and also that you'll be feeling better and better real soon. If you're feeling a bit stronger already...well, keep on doing what you're doing and let the strength compound!

Been missin' ya at the Pub...do ya think you might be stopping by sometime soon? :wink: I been doing my best to keep your barstool dusted and ready! 8)

Well, for crying out loud, Addie... let's have one!! How bout a margarita for you and for me?

We lost a pal this week and we must tip a chair for her. Betty, your place is saved!

Anyone else want to join in this Memorial Day parade, then c'mon!

love, Cindi o'h

Cindi,

My very best wishes go with you tomorrow....not to mention prayers. And with all of us here...you NEVER are alone at those danged appointments. You just gotta know we are all there with you, girl!

Fluid gone...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! NO mets...YEA!!!!!!!!!

I will have a drink with you and Addie. Sounds like a plan to me...thanks!

Will be waiting to hear that you are feeling WAY better and that yu have good news to report.

((((Cindi)))),

Kasey

Cindi,

I will continue to keep you in my prayers and this time it is for no mets, no mets, no mets. As for the bar, may I bring my woose drink with me? In my old age alcohol gives me a terrible headache so I stick to caffine free diet mountain dews. I know, I know...I am a real woose but I party that way anyway. Just call me the "DD". :oops:

Anyway, I hope you feel a lot better by the end of the week. Glad you are not going completely by yourself.

Nina

Hey, Rich...I do like that..don't mets with Cindi! Very good.

Drinking margaritas all night and haven't had a wink of sleep..you girls are too much! (Even, the "woose"!) Took me awhile to figure that one out, Nina. We spell it wuss, here in Minnesota. But, I can just hear that Alabama accent on the woose, y'all. (I used to live in Alabama....Foley)

Really, I haven't slept all night. I don't "feel" nervous, but I must be. I have been thinking more about the stuff I have to pick up out of the garage though, rather than the procedure. It is a 70-80 minute drive too that I am not used to.

Joe and his wife invited me for supper at their house and to stay over if I need as well. Very sweet. Some people!

Anyway, still thinking no mets, no mets, no mets.

Cindi o'h

Cindi,

You are well on your way for your procedure by now, but I wanted to wish you no mets, no fluid, no pain and no mets, no mets!

Good idea to stay w/Joe and his wife if it is that far of a drive for you. Better to get a fresh start in the morning.

You are in my prayers,

TAnn

Okay.....being this close to NY, I've been hit with this phrase enough now, that I'm starting to think it's time for EQUAL time....so here goes:

NO YANKEES, NO YANKEES, NO YANKEES!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Cin...hoping all goes well today, and maybe with no sleep...you'll doze off on the table, eh? :wink: Holding all good thoughts for easy resolution...and....no mets. Not no Mets.....but no mets!!

And no Yankees either! :wink: