Shaw passes on cancer surgery, will try drug

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/politics/c ... _0531.html

By Larry Lipman

Palm Beach Post Washington Bureau

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

WASHINGTON — Rep. E. Clay Shaw Jr., R-Fort Lauderdale, has decided not to undergo cancer surgery today, his office announced Sunday.

Shaw, 66, instead will be treated with a drug expected to eliminate the small tumor in his left lung, spokeswoman Gail Gitcho said.

Because the cancer is considered non-aggressive and was detected early, Shaw was given the option of taking Tarceva, a prescription medicine, or having the surgery. If the medication does not work, Shaw could have the tumor removed during Congress' August recess, Gitcho said.

"This is excellent news for me and my type of cancer," Shaw said in a statement. "I am fortunate to have discovered this tumor in the earliest stages and that (it) is not an aggressive form of lung cancer. I believe this is one example of the outstanding medical advancements our doctors and scientists are making toward treating cancer as a manageable disease."

Shaw had a similar tumor removed from his lung in January 2003. The new tumor was discovered in a routine follow-up CAT scan.