Bad news for Dave

Remembering Dave

This is Karen. I've been really reluctant to post, but Dave asked me to, he's not typing very well and not remembering things very well.

We met with his oncologist today. To recap, his spine is COVERED with tumors (saturated may be the word), he has a 7 cm (2.5 to 3 inches) tumor in his liver, and three brain mets. We met with the neurosurgeon (who does the gamma knife) on Tuesday, he said he can zap the brain mets, but the spine is a big issue. well, by yesterday, Dave was really feeling his spine. It is amazing to me, after seeing his spine on the pet scan, how he can even walk. but he is constantly loaded up on oxycontin, oxycodone and gabapentin (for nerve pain). Sooo, the oncologist said, what we are going to do is this, the neurosurgeon is going to do a spinal tap early next week to check the spinal fluid for cancer cells. If there are cancer cells in his spinal fluid, there is not much we can do for you. (he did mention some procedure where they put some sort of port in your head to deliver chemo directly into your spine, but didn't have alot to say about it, meaning he wasn't that impressed with it I guess - anyone who knows anything about this or has input please post). If there is cancer in the spinal fluid there is really nothing they can do for Dave and it will probably be hospice time. If there isn't, they will try more chemo, especially to try to get that liver tumor and do what they can to the spine mets, and will look into radiation on his spine, BUT, he probably has already had the max amount of radiation his spine can take when he had chest radiation - they zapped him from the front, side, and back, hitting the spine. The radiation oncologist is going to check on this.

His platelet count is dropping drastically, and he hasn't had chemo in two months (because it was killing his platelets and hemaglobin). It's gone in two weeks from 130,000 to 97,000 to 86,000 on Monday, 68,000 today. It's got to be the tumor in the bones eating up the bone marrow doing this, sure isn't chemo doing it.

I'm sick and devastated, but determined to put on my game face and make the most of the precious little bit of time we may have left together. There could be a miracle yet, and he could beat this yet, but it's really looking bad. For those of you who only want to see or hear nothing but hope and optimism, I'm running low on it right now, I'm running on reality. But hey, if there's three months left, that's three months - that's SOMETHING.

Dave is being very brave. He is strong and a fighter. He is having some bad moments, emotionally, that only I see (and Faith unfortunately) but those moments are understandable. I admire him for his fight and determination.

Prayers please, as we move through what could be the last chapter of a hard fought battle.

God Bless,

Karen

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karen,

I am so saddened by this news. Please do not feel that you can not post bad news here. If anything this is THE place where you can do that and we are here to help in any way we can.

Hope is probably tough to feel right now, but the old saying 'where there is life there is hope' is so true.

Karen, you know that I have a very soft spot in my heart for the Chapmans and now I will be praying extra hard for that miracle.

Love,

Hang in there, girlfriend. Hang in there, Dave!

As they say, it ain't over till it's over. I'm right beside you all the way - hearing what you say and feeling what you feel. It hurts. It's frightening. It's hard. Praying for strength for both of you as you face the days ahead, the decisions, the treatments, the emotions, and all the rest.

God loves you both, and so do I.

Love,

Peggy

Karen,

I feel terrible reading this latest news. This disease can be so vicious. I hope Dave gets some pain relief really soon, and keep us posted, ok? You folks are in my thoughts all day, every day.....

Cindy

I hate this for all of you. Praying for strength for all of you no matter what the next step may be.

You don't sound hopeless or unoptimistic to me at all. You sound like you are dealing with what's in front of you and determined to breathe life and living into every day that you have be it three months or 30 years. You all inspire me.

Please keep us posted.

Dave and Karen,

Not news any of us wanted to hear. I am so saddened by it. Hang on to that hope that things may, indeed, begin to turn around. But whatever may be in store, please know that we are all facing it with you. You will never be alone.

Many, many prayers, good wishes, and hugs will be with you in the coming days.

(((((HUGS to you all)))),

Kasey

Dear Karen and Dave,

With all that has happened during his journey, I admire that you both still look at the reality side of this. As much as we ALL hate to do that at times, the truth is, it's REAL! We honestly can't always bury our heads in the sand.

Having said that, I do wish to share with you that one of my very first Lung Cancer Support Group Members here had the proceedure you talk about with putting the stent in and giving chemo to the spine.

Sadly enough, it didn't work. It was sorta new 6 years ago, and I haven't heard anyone sense that has done it. In my opinion, it just doesn't sound apealing, but then again, nothing in this journey is!

I'm sure Dave is having some very emotional moments, and rightfully so. I remember in my darkest moments of this journey all the emotions that poured through me. It's very overwhelming. I'm sure your all going to have your moments, and theres nothing wrong with them just being all of your moments. Not every part of this journey needs to be shared with others. But, what ever feels comfortable to all of you, then I say, go for it!

God Bless you all, and I will continue to say my many prayers for all of you.

This is very tough news to swallow. I am praying hard for you all and hoping that a decision is made for continued treatment for Dave.

You're a strong lady, Karen. I admire you. I also admire your husband's spunk. You are lucky to have each other and I know that you already find a way to savour every moment - keep that up!

Positive thoughts coming.

Kel

This just stuns me...but I know you guys are fighters and so I will continue to send all positive thoughts and vibes out for Dave to respond to whatever tx they decide to do...and for there to be improvement and time. Precious time.

Dammit all, this disease needs a cure. :(

Karen,

I am so sad to read this news.

I lift Dave up in special prayer to our dear Lord. I ask in Jesus name to grant special favor to our brother for complete and total healing of his sick body. I thank you in His name for this healing...

AMEN

Karen,,I am so sorry to hear this news. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

(((((Dave, Karen, Faith, Becky)))))

Remember, if we always had wonderful news, none of us would need to be here. We are all in this together, we take the good with the bad.

Peace,

Annjael

I'm thinking of, praying for and hoping all I can hope for all the Chapmans. You are so brave and it just stinks that this is happening. Lean on us all you can - if it helps. Keep hold of whatever grains of hope you can grasp and stay strong.

Lots of love to you all,

Ellen

Karen, I am so saddened by the news. I just pray that something can be done for him and he can get some pain relief. I am down today anyway, Mike has been crying and emotional. Like Dave, these times don't happen often--as these men are strong. He is in extreme pain and I had to go talk to the Dr. and get him stronger pain pills now and more frequently. He looks so terrible today. The emotional drain on the caregiver is unbelieveable. I pray for you also. Keep your chin up and go forward(as I am trying to do)-but you are right--when reality stares you in the face-the hope isn't there much. God bless you and take care,Nancy C

Karen,so sorry to hear this.I have all the admiration in the world for all of you for all the fight,and determination and willpower you and Dave have shown me for such a long time now.

As always you will be in my prayers but tell Dave I have no intention of doubting his ability to still fight thru this somehow.

Keep hanging in there Chapman Family.