Bad news for Dave

Remembering Dave

Dearest Karen and David,

I am so devastated by your post, but so much admire your spirit and fight.... God Bless each of you. I am sharing a poem that was Dad's favorite during his struggle...

What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer is so limited

It cannot cripple love

It cannot shatter hope

It cannot corrode faith

it cannot destroy peace

It cannot kill friendship

It cannot suppress memories

It cannot silence courage

It cannot invade the soul

It cannot steal eternal life

It cannot conquer the spirit.

Please know my thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Love, Sharon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Dave and Karen

I am so very sorry to hear the latest bad news you have received. Hopefully you can be in your new house soon and focus on Dave's treatment

regards,

Karen, my heart is broken after reading your post. I pray that Dave will be able to control the pain. You are a very strong and brave lady and I am glad to see that you are able to continue to focus on the house sale and the move to a new home for the Chapman family. You have no idea how often I think of you and Dave and pray for him to be healed of this terrible disease. I have pretty much been where you are now and I know how terrifying it can be. Hang in there, guys!!!

Karen and Dave,

You are in my prayers. This is just so unfair. This beast called cancer.....I hate it. Karen, you have such strength and fortitude and hope that I know it will help Dave get through these really painful days.

You have tons of support from all of us here and I hope that our prayers help in Dave's comfort and your strength. Know that we are all here for you, whenever you need us, good or bad, ALWAYS!

TAnn

Dave & Karen -- I feel awful that you have to go through this, but you seem to be in reality mode. That, of course, doesn't mean that you must trade hope and positive thoughts for reality, it just means you have a good dose of them all, IMO.

I admire the way Dave squares off with this monster disease, and how the both of you as a family face it without wavering.

You will all be in my thoughts & prayers. Hang in there.

Di

Dave and Karen,

I am sorry to hear the news.

I think the Dr was talking about intrathecal chemotherapy.

It does not seem like it is used much for SCLC CNS met. It is used for some pediatric cancers and

Leptomeningeal Carcinomatosis caused by NSCLC and SCLC.

meningeal carcinomatosis is also caused by SCLC and is sometimes treated with intrathecal chemo.

Cancer that has spread from its original site to the tissues that cover the brain (meninges), line the brain’s fluid-filled sacs and spinal cord (leptomeninges) is meningeal carcinomatosis.

Good luck

Guest marchwinds05

Big comforting prayers for you also. I am going through almost the same thing right now with my husband. You are not alone, but it sure feels like it. I hope you all find comfort somehow.

John, yes, it is the intrathecal chemotherapy that the onco doc was talking about. I did a little research on my own and I think you are correct, it is not used for SCLC mets much, I think because the outcome isn't successful enough to justify the installation of the port, which can be pretty bad on a person who is already totally beat up. But we'll see. The spinal tap is Wed. (6/8).

Dave's pain is getting worse and worse. He can only walk a few steps and with a cane. It hurts me to see him hurting so much. I don't know what to do or say. So I've said enough.

thanks for the nice words.

God Bless,

Karen