New...Scared and need reassurance

KateShaw

My mom was diagnosed with limited small cell lung cancer three weeks ago. She is 48 and has smoked for 30+ years. The primary tumor is in the upper lobe of her right lung, and is inopperable. Fortunately it has only spread to a lymph node in her neck. In the three weeks since she was diagnosed, she has already begun a very trying round of chemo...six hours a day, three days in a row, every 21 days, 6-8 rounds. I believe one of the treatments is Cysplatin.

My mom lives in Pennsylvania, while I am in New Orleans. I drove the 21 hours to be with her for her first treatment, and found it to be the most difficult thing I have ever had to endure. I am terrified and just need some reassurance. She is incredibly strong and is very blessed to have an amazing circle of friends for support, but I still fear the worst.

I am hoping that some of you can help me through this. I need to know what to expect with treatments, and how I can make the situation easier for my family. And if nothing else, someone just to listen.

Thanks.

Kate

kcovey118@netzero.com

Hi, Kate, and welcome. You are living in my home town! There is a lot of info and support here, so glad you found us. Your mom's treatment sounds normal for SCLC. Hang in there and let us know specifically what questions you have and how we may support you. Cheers. Don

Kate,

I am so sorry. Yuur mom is very young. I know the feeling you have. I had it when my mom had lung cancer. I lived away....just not quite as FAR away as you do. I wonder where in PA she is. I am in PA and would be glad to offer help of some kind. Good that she has a circle of friends who have rallied.

Come here for questions or just support when needed.

Wishes and prayers for you and you mom.

Kasey

I was 48 when diagnosed with limited SCLC, just like your Mom. I had the same chemo regime and also had twice daily radiation for 16 days. It was a tough battle, I won't sugar coat that, but when I finished it all in June 2002, I was cancer free. I still am today. Please tell your Mom my story and tell her there is hope. There are many SCLC survivors here to encourage her. Please post any questions you might have and we'll be looking out for you, ok? ((()))

Joanie

Wow! What a wonderful daughter you are to drive 21 hours to be with your mom for her chemo!

My husband has NSCLC, so I don't have much help to offer for SCLC specifically, but wanted to welcome you, Kate, to our wonderful group.

Stick around - you'll be glad you did!

Love,

Peggy

Hi Kate.

Just want to tell you that Don and Lucie Wood are top notch people. Use your pm button to contact them. I am sure that they could be of great assistance to you one day (or more) locally.

What you are going through is a tough one, that is for sure. It is difficult to watch a parent be sick, but I think it is harder NOT to watch, or be near.

Come here for support or information. This is a caring group.

Cindi o'h

Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles, like Joanie I'm 3.5 years out from diagnosis and have been cancer free for most of that time. Your mom will have good days and bad but she has support which will go a long way in her battle.

I live in VT and my daughter was still in TX during my cancer days, it was very hard for her to be so far away but for me in a way it was easier that she wasn't there.......I didn't have to put a brave "mother" face on if I didn't feel like it!

Just remember this is not a certain death sentence, lots of us survive for a very long time and there's no reason to think that your mom isn't one of them.

Take care

Geri

Hi Kate:

Just wanted to say welcome and to let you know that there is alot of hope. At first I was terrified all the time about my mother. Now it comes and goes, and she is doing quite well....far cry from when she started treatment.

Keep your chin up and come here for support when you need to vent, get support, anything...we are here for ya.

Prayers,

Deb

Kate:

I'm sorry that you needed to find us, but so glad you did. Here you'll find a large group of people who truly do know "how you feel". I was recently diagnosed with similar symptoms.

On this forum you'll find both caregivers like yourself as well as cancer survivors like me. The disease is as scary as a disease can be - but there is hope. Here you'll find survivors with 2-3-4 and more years of being symptom free.

I suggest that you learn as much about the disease and the recovery process as you can. Knowledge is truly powerful. The more you know, the less you fear the unknown.

You and your mother both sound strong and committed to a positive and continuing recovery process. Use that strength now and use the support of the people in these forums. There is nothing you should be afraid to ask or say - you will find no judgements here, only support and love for both your mom and yourself.

Your mother's treatment sounds like it's on the right track. My own chemo process included Carboplatin and VP-16 (standard) for 3 days on, then 18 days of rest. There will undoubtedly be side-efects. They vary greatly from person to person. I have had very little - just minor mouth sores and swollen ankles from the chemotherapy drugs. Your mother is young and strong - there is no reason that she shouldn't handle the therapy well.

Please keep us informed - we will be here for you and your family every step of the way. Welcome!

"Uncle" Doug Russell

Tacoma, WA

I hit 4 yrs last Feb. Mine was extensive and I have had 1 relapse that was treated in 2003. I am doing well. Not as strong as I once was but I am working part-time teaching and get out and garden and scrapbook often.

You sound like the daughter she needs right now. Have hope, this is not always a death sentence,

Cindy

Hi

Like others have already have told you there is a lot of support here. My dad was diagnosed last august with limited small cell. Although there are lots of downs you need to stay positive! My dad right now is doing really well. The radiation got the tumor. So right now we are just thankful and praying that everything just stays the way they are. (cross your fingers, next week he goes for tests)

jorja

Just wanted to add a few things to the encouraging words that have already been said. First, the chemo treatment is protocol for limited stage sclc. Is your Mom also getting simultaneous radiation to the tumor area at least once if not twice daily? I believe that is also part of the protocol. I was told this by my first oncologist and also by a second opinion at Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

Secondly I wanted to let you know that, like others on this board, I am a survivor of this disease. I am 3 1/2 years out from diagnosis and have never had a recurrence of any kind. I was 43 when I was diagnosed. Good luck to you and your Mom. You can be very optimistic about her outcome.

Hi Kate,

As you can see you have come to the right place for support and knowledge.

So many people here with SCLC have answered your post and you can see it is very positive. That should relieve some of you and your moms fears.

Listen to the doctors, they know what to do. They seem to be on the right track.

You are a wonderful, caring daughter and you and your family giving her love and support will help toward her recovery.

We are always here for you. You are never alone.

Prayers for your mom going out.

Maryanne

Hi Kate,

An unfortunate welcome to you but this is one of the best places to get information and support. I do not know alot about sclc but I do know there are many survivors. Please do not panic....this is beatable and you will find all the information you need on this board. Please keep us informed as to what is happening. We can help you get through this and we all CARE and know what you are going through. The initial shock is the worst part. It will get better. By the way, my last name is Shaw in Northeastern PA. WHere is your Mom located.

Bill in PA

Kate, I understand that the initial stage after diagnosis is really hard as it is like a sudden nightmare that never happen before. But you have made the right decision to get more information of what to expect regarding the treatment and disease itself because better-know will make you feel better in terms of how to help your mom, what to ask the oncologist etc.

This is a very nice place for you to share others' stories and experiences as well as to ask questions that we may be able to answer.

Your Mum is young and strong. This disease can be treated and there's no reason why your Mum shouldn't be one of the ones who are cured. My friend was diagnosed at the same stage nearly 15 months ago and she's doing well.

Let us know how she's getting on.

Dee