Mom-swollen feet

Elonda

Hello Everyone,

I am at my wits end. We have tried everything under the sun to try to keep moms feet/ankles/legs from causing her so much pain. The hospice nurses tell us that this is part of the process but I just feel helpless letting her sit there and moan because she is in such pain. The nurses have told us that this is because mom is basically surviving on one lung and it isn't strong enough to distribute blood to her entire body so it only sends to the main organs. This is why they are swelling so bad and all of her extremities are so cold.

I would like to know if anyone has come across the problem before and would they have any suggestions as to what we could try to make her comfortable.

We have soaked her feet in epsom salts, aveeno baths, also used the aveeno to keep the itching down (this according to local pharmacist). But she has scratched and now they are weeping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Elonda

Thank you so much for the suggestions Peggy. We have a doctors appt tomorrow and I will definitely ask the lasix. I know this is going to be a long hard road but I here for whatever she needs. My brother is on the other end of it because he wants to be here with her all the time. So I try to keep him filled in and give them so alone time when he comes to visit and then we visit together. I have learned to tell her I love her every chance I get.

Thank you

Love

Elonda

Elonda,

I totally agree with the Lasix. When I went through this with my mom many moons ago, she too was on lasix for the swelling. I would think the Hospice nurses would know this.

Your story of you and your mom sounds so much like my story with my mom years back. It brings back lots of memories all that you are dealing with.

We love our mom's and we do what we do because we love them and because if they had to, they would do the same for us. People use to always say to me, your a good daughter. But, I like to think of it as a two way street and the fact that we just do whatever we have to do for our parents because they would do for us. At least that's the way it was for me. And yes, we are good daughters, because our mom's & dad's raised us to be. :wink:

God bless you and your mom. I have been in your shoes, and I give you all the support in the world my friend. Hang tough. ((((ELONDA))))

I hope they will put her on Lasix ASAP.