What comes after Tarceva?

Jana_W

Hi all

Mum's CT scan results from last week showed more disease progression so she has been taken of the trial she was on, which was using Tarceva and from what I can gather I don't think the oncologist has suggested or offerred anything else.

We really don't know what comes next? Is there anyone else who has had disease progression with Tarceva and then tried something else? I would really appreciate any information as am feeling a bit helpless at the moment.

Thanks so much

Jana

xx

Jana,

Charlie ended up progressing on Tarceva after initially responding. He is now taking a conventional chemo. and just finished getting some more focused radiation to one of his lymph nodes.

Based on your Mum's history, I would think other chemos could include Alimta, Taxol, Navelbine or others. If the doctors want to quit and she doesn't, I would recommend a change in doctor.

Praying for your Mum and you and the rest of your family. I know how hard it is for you'll. Take care.

Thanks for the replies Ry, Tina and Wendy. Karen and I both always thought that if the Tarceva didn't work, then Alimta would be the next thing Mum would be offerred. I have a feeling that the oncologist has not offerred anything and basically just said there was nothing else he could offer her. I am trying to do some research to see if Alimta is only available in Australia on a clinical trial program, or if it is for routine use.

I really appreciate your feedback as I really don't know where to go at the moment. Thank you so much and I will let you know how things go.

If you can, please spare a thought or prayer for Mum and Dad as I think they're doing it pretty tough at the moment. :cry::cry: Thank you.

Jana

xxxx

Hi Jana: Your parents and you have my prayers. I have heard that avastin in combination with a convetional chemo such as taxol/carboplatin has had good results. It is new and may not be avalable in Australia. Other than that, alimta would be the next one. I guess your are going to have to make a proposal to your oncologist if he is not suggesting the nest step. Again, you all have my prayers.

Don M

Hi Jana-

When my mom stopped Tarceva because it didn't work, she had the option of altima or cisplatin/gemzar--the gemzar is more "aggressive" so she went with that combo. However, she recently developed brain mets--don't know if they developed during the two months she was on tarceva--the gemzar was also pretty rough for her. Now she is only doing radiation for her brain mets--she may decide to go with altima after the radiation.

Best wishes

Denise

Hi Jana.

So sorry to hear of progression with the Tarceva. Like Don said, the Avastin combo has shown some promising results as far as treatment for recurrence is concerned.

There are quite a few people on the board who are going through with the Alimta right now who seem to be doing well with it.

Prayers coming for your Mom and Dad and girls.

love, Cindi o'h

Hi Janna

We live in the UK and it is sometimes behind the States on the availability of new treatments. It is however, sometimes possible to get hold of these drugs from the manufactures on a compassionate basis. This is how we are able to get iressa and I told tarceva is also now available even though they have not officially been approved.

Best wishes

Jennie

My mother didn't have success with Tarceva either. That was her first line treatment. She then did 6 cycles of alimta/carboplatin with stability at first but her last scans showed a little growth. She handled the chemo with no problem. She's now on a month break before she is to begin a different chemo regiment. Good luck to you and your family.

Janna, My wife was on Tarceva For 6 Months when it stopped working. She is now taking etopocide which is a multi cancer drug. This one is working we think. Will know more on thursday 6/15 after Onc Apptmnt. Scaan in about 2 weeks probably. Hope this helps. ALWAYS PRAYING FOR EVERYONE. :D