Dad's CT Scan

Guest Iiris

Guest Iiris

Hi everyone! I haven't been here for awhile...we've been waiting to see how the chemo is working for my dad. He had his first CT Scan since his diagnosis last Friday. The doc said it didn't look as good as he'd hoped. Nothing has shrunk, according to him, and there "may be" a couple more spots on the liver and adrenal gland. He stopped the VP 16 and changed it to Camptosar along with the Carboplatin. Is anyone familiar with this combination? Of course, my mom is curious and wants to make sure we're doing all we can. The onc isn't the most forthcoming and won't answer her questions. Refers to her as the "curious cat" and reminds her, "you know what happend to the curious cat". :? Dad has gained the weight back he lost in Feb/Mar. Is having trouble eating now and seems quite weak. Not breathing real well either but we never know if that's the cancer or the emphysema. Thanks for listening and if anyone knows about the Camptosar, any input would be appreciated. Thanks.... Iiris

Iiris,

I think your Mom is a great advocate for your Dad. She needs to listen to another doctor, though. One who has something real to say instead of trying to control her with shame.

Thanks, Katie for your great response. We need each other to put things into perspective.

Cindi o'h

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE RUDE CONDESENDING REMARKS MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

I will say tho the change to camptosar sounds like a very good choice. That was the first ones I had --see profile below. Tell your mom to KEEP asking questions.

Good Luck, Cindy

Guest Iiris

Hi. Yeah - I kinda thought the dr was way off base too. I relayed your messages to my mom and she's decided to ask their general practitioner her questions instead of the oncologist. She can also call his office and speak to his nurses. She feels he comes highly recommended and just has a poor bedside manner. We don't like him much but so far, we trust him with treating my dad.

This round of chemo has kicked my dad's butt! He's lost 8# so far this week. Today he had a bite of bacon and a bite of toast to eat. He's sleeping ALL the time except to use the bathroom. He also has a nasty cough....similar to the one that put him in the hospital in February. The cough is so bad that he has passed out from lack of air. Tests show he had a small stroke in the past and they suspect it was during one of the coughing spells.

Anyway.....he's on some medicine for his diarrhea...and nausea. He says there's something at the base of his throat that tells him not to try to eat anything. They're not going to do the 3rd Chemo tomorrow as planned because he's not in shape for it. His blood pressure is 70 over 40. They weren't monitoring his coumadin (sp) since he had the blood clot last month at his porta cath site and I guess he's taken too much. His blood count is low too. The drs nurse says doing another chemo at this time would be kicking him while he is down.

Any input, ideas, suggestions, etc would be appreciate. My mom said she saw the first sign of defeat in his eyes today. Thanks to all of you...we

both appreciate having you here to talk to.

Iiris (or Billie) whichever you prefer

Guest Suzanne

Hi Billie,

I am sorry your dad is having a hard time. I don't have any advice -- my dad was just recently diagnosed so I am new at this. But I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you and your mom and dad.

Hang in there.

Suzanne

P.S. You must have incredible self-control -- I would have belted that "curious cat" doctor!!

Sending hugs and prayers Billie. Sounds like your dad is going through what my mom went through a couple of months ago. I wish I had some good advice. My mom is still having a hard time eating and is weak and thin. All I can say is keep trying to get him to eat small portions several times a day and keep trying new things till you find something he likes and goes down fairly easy.

Guest Iiris

Well, my dad ended up in the hospital Friday for dehydration. He wasn't functioning at home at all.....just sleeping and fading away so the dr recommended he be checked. I went to see him Sunday and he was perky and cracking jokes. Like night and day, my mom said. He was hopefully coming home today after they get his coumadin dosage straightened out. I tried to stress how important it is that he eat but my mom asked how? He just won't....or can't!

Thanks everyone...

Billie

The solution to not eating is called "relentless nagging". It is really up to the primary caregiver to insist. As I have said before, it works better to offer small snacks every two or three hours than to try the three squares a day normal approach. Don

I tried to stress how important it is that he eat but my mom asked how? He just won't....or can't!

I do hear your mom. It is a major chore and takes much nagging to get my mom to eat. One of the things we wanted was for her to have a feeding tube until she got her strenght back. Unfortunately when she was in the hospital her pallets where low so they couldn't put one in. Once they were back up mom didn't feel she needed one. Ask them at the hospital to monitor how much he is eating and to see if they feel it is enough. Ask if they feel he would benefit from a feeding tube. Also, we have to watch my mom , because once she found out we were watching what she was eating she began to hide food.

Good news to hear he is feeling better!

little snacks left out within reach. Anything.. anything is better than nothing. Even reese's peanut butter cups! (who can resist those?)

tiny things. little carrots. gatorade. a piece of cheese. ensure. a pretzel. one of anything. a spoonful of icecream. chocolate milk. just a sip, even.

Hi Iris,

You dad should eat just little meals at a time. Have you tried getting an ensure or boost down him. My husband would have a milkshake as that was easy to go down. It may not have had a lot of protine in it but it was something to put in his stomache.

Or maybe you can make some smoothes with milk, fruit, some sweet and low in a blender with ice. There are plenty of recipies on line for that.

I pray he starts to feel better and receives more nurishment.

Maryanne

Keep us posted.

Maryanne