an update on something shallow

Geri

A few weeks ago Addie started a thread about finger nails, the strengthening or weakening during and after chemo.

I said at the time that I would ask my onc (who is head of thoracic oncology) what the deal was.

His answer today was.........I have no idea!! He did however mention that his speciality is getting rid of lung cancer (which he did in my case) and very little appeared else to be of interest to him.

Soooo, my suggestion would be for someone still in tx to ask the infusion nurses, they seem to know more about this sort of thing than the drs anyway.

The question is: why do weak nails get stronger and strong nails get weaker after chemo?

If anyone can find the answer to this question they will not be awarded the Nobel Prize or anything but some of us will have our curiosity quenched.

Thanks

Geri

Geri,

This isn't an answer, I'm sure, but when Mike went on Taxotere he was warned his nails could come off. Yes, come off. He was told to put nail hardener on his nails before treatment. We did treat and had no problems , but I was thinking if Taxotere can do that, I guess other kinds of chemo could affect the nails in various degrees.. You think?

Sue

Geri,

This isn't an answer, I'm sure, but when Mike went on Taxotere he was warned his nails could come off. Yes, come off. He was told to put nail hardener on his nails before treatment. We did treat and had no problems , but I was thinking if Taxotere can do that, I guess other kinds of chemo could affect the nails in various degrees.. You think?

Sue

Tarceva " cured " my wife's toenail fungal infection.

I think a partial answer is that chemo kills fast growing cells, such as cancer cells, stomach cells, and hair and nail cells. That's why we lose the hair and have nausea, and hopefully lose the cancer cells along the way.

I lost a couple of toenails with chemo, but I don't think they grew back any differently than they were before.

My hair and eyebrows and lashes thinned but didn't lose them all. Nothing seems different when it grew back. I know others have said that their hair is different. Some say it stays different, and some say it reverts back to what it was.

Guess all this is a long answer for I don't know!

Cindy

No answers here, but when mom had chemo,everything I read said something about losing the nails, might be a side effect. Mom not only did not lose her nails, but hers too are much much stronger, longer and prettier than they have ever been.

Kim

my little toenail fell off and there was a new one growing in underneath it. I had the chronological horizontal lines with every major systemic trauma.

I have vertical lines now on all my nails.

My eyebrows never did come back as full and dark as they had been. Menopause too now may have had an effect on eyebrows. Don't know.

Cindi o'h