Can someone help me please?????

InCalifornia

Hi Everyone :-)

Our brother was diagnosed on August 2004' with non-small cell lung cancer (inoperable) stage IV, on his right lung... Tumor was too close to the heart and attached to the trachea.

He was given radiation along with a combination of cisplatin plus vinorelbine... He was very sick on this chemo, and they had to take him out of it (because he lost a few treatments due to his blood count being so low all the time)... He was unable to eat because his throat was burned from the radiation given, he lost a lot of weight while he was getting radiation and this chemo... The doctors decided to take a break and left him without treatment for about 6 weeks...

After this time, they started him on taxotere... (He only received 3 treatments out of six) and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia, he almost died.

When he got out of the hospital he couldn't breathe and he had to go back for the removal of fluid on his right lung... At this time the scans showed a significant shrinkage of teh primary tumor but unfortunately 3 new nodules were visible now on the left lung.

After 2 months have passed they have started him on something called ALIMTA... He is responding well to this chemo, but lately he has been feeling very dizzy, he also has alot pain on his right hip and we have just noticed that he has a sore (looks like a small bed sore) right on the right hip...

I was looking back at some of the scans from October lastyear and I just noticed that one of them says this:

"Non specific focus of increaed tracer accumulation see only on the anterior view of the region of the right hip,etiology and significance of which is to be determined".

This have never been evaluated and NOW he is experiencing a lot of pain on the right hip, I noticed that he seems to lose the balance sometimes when he walks... He also feels a lot of tingling and numbness on both feet, even when he was taken off of the taxotere chemo... He still felt severe numbness and tingling of both feet on those 2 months and continues getting worse...

Do you all think that the cancer has spread to the hip now?

He has this sore (right on the hip) and it looks infected... He seems so down at times and it looks to me like he is giving up and doesn't want to do anything or ask any questions to the doctors. We as his family don't know what to do... He also gets very irritated about everything... Can this sore be a side effect of the ALIMTA?

PLEASE KEEP HIM IN YOUR PRAYERS!!!

I can't answer your question re the cancer spreading to his hip. you might run it by "ask the experts". I can see how it is especially tough for you if your brother does not wnat to talk to the doctor about it. I suppose they would to a bone scan if he went in and do radiation on the bone, but dunno for sure. Your brother, you and your family have my prayers.

Don M

So sorry to hear that your brother has been having so many side effects from the chemo.

I really don't know the answer to your question on mets to the hip, but wanted you to know that I am crossing my fingers that your brother feels better soon and that you find the answers you are looking for quickly.

Wendy

Sorry I cannot answer your question about his hip. I just want you to know that my heart goes out to him as he has been through too much.

I pray for things to start going well for him and for his pain to decline.

Maryanne

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS AS WELL!

I'LL UPDATE REGARDING OUR BROTHER ONCE HE SEES HIS DOCTOR NEXT WEEK, SO FAR ALIMTA IS NOT AS STRONG AS TAXOTERE WAS.... AND HE IS ABLE TO HANDLE THIS TREATMENT MUCH BETTER!

I'M JUST PRAYING THAT THIS "ALIMTA" WILL WORK FOR HIM!!!

InCA,

This is a real long shot, and a stretch, but could it be a spider bite? Watching the gory stuff on Animal Planet with my son, I have seen bites from a Black Widow and Brown Recluse and heard some of the symptoms caused by either of these nasty little guys. I've also heard that California has zillions of Black Widows hanging out in shed, garages, ceilings, etc.

I don't think that cancer mets present themselves as skin ulcers, but spider bites, bed bugs, scorpions, etc., work from the outside IN.

????

Whenever there is continuous pain in an area, it should be scanned for possible tumor. Your brother should always tell the onc when this occurs by calling in -- don't wait for the next appointment unless it is in the next few days. Lucie always tells her onc about continuous pain when it occurs -- he does scans and we go from there. This has saved her several times from cancer spread. Prayers you have. Don

I agree with the above that if the pain is persist and severe, it needs to be evaluated for a couple of reasons. One, it can be treated with radiation leading to pain relief. Secondly, a hip can be at risk for a dangerous fracture if the cancer has eroded the bone. It may need to be stabilized surgically if that is the case. It can be evaluated with plain film, MRI, and/or bone scan. MRI and plain film will give info on bone strength.

Robert Woodburn M.D.