Newly diag./incomplete surgery

Neil W.

Hi folks. I'm new here. Was diag. in April '05 w/2" tumor. Surgery last week to remove, but had met. to chest wall. I will be seeing oncologist this Thursday and I suspect chemo and/or radiation will be prescribed. This is a very difficult time because in addition to my illness, my son was suddenly rushed to hospital two weeks ago with acute leukemia and is now receiving chemo. This is all very overwhelming and I hope to learn more about lung cancer and treatments.

Neil W.

You certainly got socked with a double punch. So sorry you have to deal with all this at the same time. Know you feel the need to be there and be strong for your son and may be afraid you won't have the energy. Borrow some energy here when you need it. Sharing this experience may well prove to be a strong bond between the two of you that neither of you could have with anyone else.

Hi Neil. I am sorry to hear about you and your son. But, welcome.

I had surgery last Feb to remove the rest of my left lung. The PET scan showed uptake at my chest wall, and it was thought that I might have mets to the chest wall. At surgery, my chest wall turned out to be cancer free. The surgeon had told me that if it had gotten to my chest wall, that it would be inoperable.

There are other surgeons who would operate though. If it can be shown to be local, it may be operable. At least one person that I know of on this board has had chest wall surgery. Her user name is mhutch1366. I am sure she would be willing to share her experience with you. You can do a search in the member list and pm her from there. I think she has been cancer free for 5 years or so.

For my part, I had a strong feeling that the only cancer would be in my new nodule and that was the way it worked out. So, I stayed with the surgeon who would have aborted surgery if my chest wall was cancerous.

You and your son have my best wishes and concern.

Don M

Welcome! There are a great group of people here and lots of support. So sorry to hear about you as well as your son. I'm sure it's hard enough for you to have to deal with this lung cancer but not much is worse, then when your child is sick. I know it.

Prayers for you both.

Gail p-m

Hey Neil.

This is a great place to find first hand info on cancer treatments from people who really care. Sorry to hear about your son. As a father of two girls, I know how much more difficult it is dealing with their illness than my own. Take care, and keep us posted on your progress as well as your son's.

David P.

Hi Neil,

Wow, sorry for everything you are going through. First, you then your son.

Good luck with your treatments. Have confidence that everything will out fine in the outcome.

We are here for all the support you may need during these difficult times. I wish there was something I could do to lessen your pain.

Prayers to you and your son for good results.

Maryanne

• 2 weeks later...
Guest youngnblessed

Hello,

Welcome to the site you have came to a great place a help, comfort, and understanding. I am sorry to here about the illnesses that are suddenly attacking your family. You will be in my prayers, if there is anything that we can do feel free to stop by.

youngnblessed