mom

Guest TROY MARTIN

Guest TROY MARTIN

My name is Troy, and I am new to the board. If anyone has any advice or beliefs please share with me. My mother has had pnemonia for about 2 months. She is 55 yrs old. She had her kidney removed 4-5 yrs ago due to cancer, therefore she has regular ct scans on that area. They have all been good. Recently she was put into the hospital for her pneumonia. At the hospital, they administered a few more tests. Her blood work and sputum cytology all came back good. A chest xray was given and nothing showed up. A ct scan did show a small thing in the bottom of her rt lung. They did a bronchoscopy which apparently confirmed that this spot was just a calcified deposit: however while doing the bronch. they discovered another mass in her upper right lung which did not show on the ct scan. They were able to attain brushings and washings from this. The biopsy came back and the doctor simply said that pathology had ruled it suspicious. I asked what that meant and they said that likely meant it was cancer. I then said well does it look like you caught it early and they replied probably not. The mass is about golf ball size I believe- 3-4 cm. There was also something on the pathology report that said possible small cell carcinoma differentation, which means that they think it is small cell. Through her scans and xrays at the hospital it looked as if it had not spread outside of the rt lung however, sclc spreads alot quicker than nslc. She had a PET done today. We are waiting for the results. I know this was a long post but I am just hoping and scared. I just dont see how the ct scan did not pick this up. She got out of the hospital last Thursday and is doing fine. If you have any thoughts please reply. Thank you

Welcome, Troy. Glad you posted. Sorry about your mom. I often say, "Don't borrow trouble -- there is plenty of it that is real." Wait to see what the PET shows first. None of the scans (PET, CT, MRI, x-ray) are perfect or infallible, so sometimes the tumor just isn't seen until it get larger. Unfortunately, missing a tumor is not uncommon. That is why, if there are any symptoms, one should continue to push for various scans. Hang in there, buddy. We are here for you. Don

Hi, Troy.

I know how frustrating it is to not have a 100% diagnosis. My mom had brushings and washings from her lung and pancreas which were inconclusive, and her first bronchoscopy biopsy was inconclusive also, though it put her on a ventilator for a couple of days due to bleeding. Her second bronchoscopy finally yielded results. Yet she achieved remission from extensive sclc, and despite brain mets, she's still fighting for her quality of life. Fishing, reading, and thinking of painting again.

Hang in there, try to get your mom to get a second opinion if she doesn't get a good diagnosis. If it is small cell, it can respond really well to chemo.

Troy,welcome to our support family.There are many caring and knowing people here.

Sorry about your mom's diagnosis.Sclc is more aggressive than nsclc,however it has a history of responding well to treatments as well.

There are many here with sclc that are doing pretty well.

Guest TROY MARTIN

I appreciate your replies greatly. I am truly amazed at the courage all of you show. I definitely hope everything turns out well with my mom's scans: however if it does not, I just pray that she will have the same fight and outlook that you guys/gals have. You all are a huge inspiration to not only myself, but a lot of people. Thanks for everything and my prayers and wishes are with all of you.

Hi Troy.

If(and remember Don's words of wisdom here about borrowing trouble) it is SCLC then it sounds as if it's limited. My friend has limited SCLC and has been NED for many months now. I'm sure she's still NED which she should find out tomorrow.Please let us know how your Mum gets on.

Dee

Hi, Troy, My name is Pam, and i have ext small cell cancer. I have been fighting since the end of Oct 04 I have abeen lucky, I got my job back, I also am done with chemo for now, until i have another CT scan in July. I am going on vacation to the Jersey shore in about 2 wks.

Just wanted you know that some of us are feeling really good for now, and have much hope. I believe I can be one of the few who beat this, or at least have quality of life for a long time. I can't believe anything else. Of course, I have bad days emotionally, but since I feel well physically I have to believe that I am holding my own. I hope your mom gets plenty of support from family and friends, and a good doctor always helps.

Best of everything,

Pam

Guest TROY MARTIN

Thanks again for all support. My mom's Pet Scan came back today. Again the new doctor we have did not have a definite answer whether it was cancer or not. There was definitely no spreading according to the Pet, but he did say that where the mass is located there is a lot of activity and inflammation shown by the Pet Scan. She is scheduled for another biopsy next Monday( the medisitiny or something). The surgeon did not seem to worried though. Hopefully this is a good sign. He said it simply could be just an inflammation. If it is cancer, it does sound like they at least caught it fairly early.

Hi Troy,

You guys have certainly been through a roller coaster ride.

You just have to be patient and see what exactly it is.

There has been many people on here and in the past who were in your shoes, only to find out the tumors were benine or something else.

Good luck with the next biospy, I hope it finally shows up exactly what it is.

Maryanne

but he did say that where the mass is located there is a lot of activity and inflammation shown by the Pet Scan. She is scheduled for another biopsy next Monday( the medisitiny or something). The surgeon did not seem to worried though. Hopefully this is a good sign. He said it simply could be just an inflammation. If it is cancer, it does sound like they at least caught it fairly early.

Hi Troy....

If this is small cell and there is a lot of activity, then it should respond very well to chemo. When my small cell relapsed, there was a lot of activity going on...and this is what my onc told me. After three cycles of chemo...the visible cancer was reduced by 50%~!!

The mediastinum is the area of lymph nodes in the chest between the lungs. When I was originally diagnosed, I had one small "infiltrate" in my lung (which was likely the primary tumor) and also activity in the mediatinum....in the lymph nodes. Without any spread outside of the lungs/chest area though...I was considered "limited stage".

Here's hoping that it is only inflammation or something other than cancer for your mom. But I agree, it does sound like this has been caught fairly early.

Sending wishes for the best...and hoping you'll keep us updated. There are many people here who've done LOTS better than "the odds" with small cell. Keeping a positive attitude and keeping hope alive are both helpful! Your mom is lucky to have you as an advocate and someone who looks for more information re: this disease!

Welcome. I am glad to read your Mom will have another biopsy. The word "possible" kind of threw me. I would want to know for sure which kind of lung cancer for sure she has. It can make a big difference in treatment and she is young ( at least to me she is). Keep us posted. Donna G

Sorry you have to deal with all this.

I was diagnosed 3.5 years ago and have beaten all the odds and am back to a normal lifestyle. If indeed your mom is a lung cancer patient she will have good days and bad and may or may not have side effects from the treatments - whatever happens she has a very good chance of long term survival.

There are a lot of us out there despite the statistics (which should be ignored from this moment on). Just think of cancer as a chronic disease to be handled over the long term if necessary.

I shall be thinking positive for good news for your mom,

Geri

Troy,

I wanted to welcome you and give you some hope. If your Mom does turn out to have sclc limited keep in mind that I am a 3 1/2 year survivor and have been feeling very good. There is HOPE with this disease and a fighting spirit, I belive, helps alot. Please let her know there are many sclc survivors around -- keep us informed, ok? :)

Joanie

.....i wouldnt trust a pet scan.....they give false pos all the time..... my doc wont even do 'em....

i dont think i'd trust anything but a tissue biopsy....and i wouldnt worry about it until there were "clear" results...(easier said than done ..i know)... .....s