hello

Hi everyone,

I've been reading posts here for awhile and finally decided to introduce myself. My name is Cathy and my dear, wonderful father has lung cancer. I know that it is Stage IV, but unsure of what kind as I believe that the cancer started as esophageal, but even that is something I don't really know. He was diagnosed May 23rd after having some blood being coughed up. He started chemo on Thursday of last week and is pretty wiped out. I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on how long most people feel sick for after the chemo. They are doing Carboplatin and Taxol or Taxotere..I can't remember, although I saw it at the infusion center.

I'm trying so hard to stay positive and you all have such incredible courage and strength, so it really helps to read about you all. Any suggestions to help make this easier for my dad would be appreciated..emotionally and for the side effects of the chemo would be appreciated.

Thanks so much...take care!

Cathy,welcome to our support family.You will find many knowing and caring people here.

Sorry to hear about your father.Foremost you need to know there are many here stage 4 that are doing ok.

I have done several rounds of the same chemo and had good results with shrinkage.It does do a number on me (nausea,low blood counts,tired,sick & etc but the results were always good so far.Other people don't have all the bad side affects tho.

After treatments are completed he will start to feel better every few days but it takes 4 to 6 weeks for most to get feeling good again.(it keeps wporking in the body awhile after tx.is stopped)

Wishing you and your dad & family all the very best results.Please keep us posted.

Hi and welcome. I'm glad you decided to post. I myself lurked for ages before taking the plunge. I'm sorry about your Dad. I'm not qualified to offer any kind of advice or opinion on your Dad as my friend has SCLC (and to be honest I wouldn't feel qualified to give advice on that either). Just wanted to welcome you as I know how nervewracking it is to post that first post.

Dee

Hello, I love your handle! Hope and Strength! I also am an RN. All I knew really about lung cancer was it was pretty scarry. Believe me the past 7 yrs I have learned a lot! I was wiped out with chemo and radiation but even just the emotions of it all could have done that also. The meds they gave me ( Zophran, decadron, reglan etc) really kept me out of big trouble. I was just exausted, ready for a nap 2-3 times a day that is if I had time with all the travel, and treatments , tests, and doctor appointments. Now it seems every week at the hospital I run into someone with lung cancer. I pray I can help them as I was helped. Please keep us posted and perhaps when you get the details correct you can post a bio at the end of your signature. Again welcome. Donna G

Hi

Welcome to our group. My Dad had 3 rounds of carbol/taxol and he was in pretty rough shape for about 5 days after each infusion. Some nausea (controlled with meds), very tired and some aches.

Prayers to you and your family. It's a rough road but the people here make it a lot more bearable.

Gail p-m

Welcome. I'll bet your Dad will appreciate all the information you'll get here. I haven't had IV chemo, so I don't have any knowledge to share in that regard. But I know you'll get lots of suggestions to help make your Dad's chemo experience easier for him. Hang in there!

Leslie

Hi Cathy,

Welcome to our support family. We are always here for you.

I am sure you will get alot of responses to you questions.

My husband has not had the chemo you described but many have.

Good luck and keep us posted on his progress.

Maryanne