Question Chemo and SOB

Maryanne

Hi all,

I have a fast question.

Joel is having his last Chemo. carbo/taxol tomorrow. As he has been doing well on it, with miminal side effects, he is finding lately he is getting more and more out of breath. This really concerns us.

He feels it is not from the Chemo. The fatigue yes, but not the SOB.

So what I am throwing out to you is, if anyone else has experience this. Is it normal? Or is it something he should be concerned about.

He will be getting his next CT towards the end of the month.

Maryanne

Hi Maryanne

There was a similar question in 'Ask The Experts' under the Standard Treatments header. Basically, Dr Cunningham said he needed alot more info to make any recommendations, and that she should speak to her doctor. Not to startle you, but I think it turned out to be a pulmonary embolism - I'm pretty sure everything turned out ok, but you might want to get it checked out.

Hope it's nothing,

Karen

My dad's latest SOB was caused by pneumonia. When his lung was drained yesterday he said he could breathe a lot better. I hope it is nothing and it resolves itself but when something doesn't feel right it is always best to get it checked out. Best wishes.

Kitkathi

He feels it is not from the Chemo. The fatigue yes, but not the SOB.

So what I am throwing out to you is, if anyone else has experience this. Is it normal? Or is it something he should be concerned about.

The only time I really had an issue with SOB was when my counts were so very low...both platelets and HGB and HCT. Not enough oxygen was circulating...so going up and down stairs, I'd end up huffing and puffing.

How long has it been since he's had bloodwork?

I know there can be more serious reasons for SOB...but in my case, it was a pretty easy fix with a couple of transfusions.

Check w/ his doctor about bloodcounts...and do let us know what happens. Being SOB is NOT a lot of fun. :(

My recommendation would be to tell the chemo nurse about it when you go in for the treatment. SOB was a side effect of gemzar, and I noticed it on stairs when I was going through chemo, but it went away afterwards.

They need to be made aware of ANY changes at chemo.

Cindy

Brian had the same symptoms. We kept worrying as we associated it w/ the cancer/tumors................It turned out to be his HBGLN The red blood cells carry oxygen around in the body. If you are low on those cells.............SOB.........

Brian goes every 3 weeks for blood work and he gets an injection of Aranesp. It makes him feel like a new man.

The low red blood cells really take the wind out of his sails. He has never NOT need the shot..........His red blood cells are always low. He gets relief within hours.............

Love

P

Chemo does all kinds of crazy diff. things to the body.I too get sob while on it but also on radiation as well which also causes sob.

Chemo messes up the veins and does wierd things to the blood.I feel this contributes to the sob.

Definately mention it to the chemo nurse & make sure they are watching the blood counts.

Joel, went to the Onocholgist today for hopefully, his last chemo treatment. His blood is excellent, so it is not the counts.

He told the doc about the SOB. The doc says it is not from the chemo. So he is having a couple of tests taken. An ecko and a breathing test, which he will have to go back to his pulmonary doctor.

They do not want him to have his CT until August (?) I guess he has a reason. I thought it would be like now. His last one was the end of March, so I figured the end of June. So now we will just have to wait a little longer.

Thanks again for your replies,

Maryanne