no brain mets, but....

shineladysue

This is an update on Mike. These days are so frustrating. I wrote before how he started some medication for shingles and plus his doctor increased his diuretic, potassium and added a blood pressure medicine. At the time his cancer report showed stable, his pneumonitis resolving and all looked good. He was put on extended chemo break until August. He had developed shingles on his chest and back and the doctor put him on medication for it. All was good that day and mentally Mike was doing well. Well, after the start of all these meds, all went to hell. He started sleeping long hours, having difficulty talking and thinking and it got worse. After 2 calls to the doctor and one visit , he insisted we finish the meds for shingles. We got to the point that Mike couldn't think, couldn't remember how to use a tv remote etc. The doc agrees something is wrong , but what. Had a brain scan done and no mets. Normal scan. He made appointments for a psychological (in 3 weeks) , as well as, neurological (in 4 weeks) evaluations to figure this out. He used words like "metabolic and malignant encephalopathy(sp)" He talked about waxing and waning of the mind , but diminishing over time. He added he doesn't know what is wrong, but obviously he agrees Mike isn't right. My point, all was fine until those meds were given.. In fact, I called our local pharmacist and she said the shingles meds could have done it and it would take days for him to get better. It's been 6 days. Okay, none of this makes sense. I'm at my wits end. If it is not the meds, does anyone have any input or had a similar situation. I'd like to add that Mike is breathing much better, is getting up and around fine. He just acts like someone that is drunk or overdosed on drugs. The doc has lowered his prednisone, he's off the shingles meds, he's cut his diuretics and potassium in half... let's see. This just seems so puzzling. Any input would be appreciated. God Bless all of you.

Love and Prayers,

Sue

Sue,

Drugs have different effects on many

people, a revision of the side effects of

the drug for shingles may be needed.

You could always ask the local pharmacist

for a written list of side effects of the

drugs prescribed lately.

Hoping all will get under control soon.

J.C.

JC,

I called the pharmacist last weekend and she reviewed all the meds with me. She said the problem was the shingles medicine. It is known to cause confusion, hallucinations etc. in elderly patients. Mike is only 60 , but definitely in a weakened condition. She also said it may take 5 days or so for him to get it out of his system. The doctor didn't dismiss the idea, but said "here it is 6 days after he stopped that medicine and he's still not right". The thing is he was perfectly fine before he took it. I'm just so upset that I can't think straight. I'll get it together I hope.

This must be so distressing for you both. I'm afraid that I don't have any suggestions but people respond so differently to medication. If the average person improves after being withdrawn from this shingles medication after 5 days it doesn't mean that Mike won't be fine after, say 7/8 days.

I'm thinking of you,

Dee.

I wish I had the answer (And the cure). I am so sorry for what the two of you are going through. I know it must be hard but maybe a few more days will totally get the meds out of his system.

Thinking of you both

love and fortitude

elaine

Sue,

How unfair!!!! Such wonderful uplifting news followed by this strange turn of events!

The worst part of anything is not having a clear picture of what you are fighting.

I believe it is meds...............some people just don't react like the literature says most do.

I am like that ................ so are my sons.........I never had to worry about them experimenting w/ street drugs............ they reacted badly to even allergy meds or antibiotics. I can't take anything for pain withot scaring everyone to death...........

Try to trust that with time and purging his system of all the meds he will bounce back.

That is what we are praying for.......... that and strength for you.

Lots of love,Sue.

Pat and Brian

Hi Sue,

Wow, so sorry about Mikes downfall.

Hopefully, he will start to show better signs of improvement. Maybe it is just taking longer to show more positive results as he was in a weakned state.

I wish I had an answer for you.

Prayers sent to Mike.

Maryanne

Did you check to see if any of the medications were contraindicated if given together? A number of years ago I was given two medications that cannot be given together, and the result was chemical hepatitis with significant liver damage and resultant Kidney shut down. If your liver takes a hit like this it isn't usually the day you take the med that the damage shows up. It's the next day or a few days later.

Some of the symptoms of hepatitis-whether it results from infection, alcohol abuse, or drug interation-are hallucination, profound fatigue and excessive sleepiness, muscle pain, mental confusion, bowel movements become light colored.

Here is a link to a site where you can look up the medications and read about which ones should and should not be given together.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

I check out everything now-both over the counter and prescription meds.

The good news is the Liver will regenerate over time, as long as the substance ingested was not so toxic it totally destroyed the Liver. And as long as the toxin isn't continually ingested as in Alcohol Abuse.

Sue,

I have no knowledge of these medications and their side effects. It seems others have proven to be helpful there. My only suggestion would be to TRY to get those 2 appointments moved up. Having to wait so many weeks while Mike is experiencing such trouble appears unconscionable. Sure hope that they could get moved.

In the meantime, you guys are in my thought and prayers. I am hoping for a speedy resolution to this dilemma!

Kasey

Thank you everyone,

You have no idea what strength that I get from all of you. I need all of it now and that's for sure. We put Mike in the hospital today. He became so much worse and I called the doctor and said , now what do I do and we ended up at the hospital. Under the circumstances, it is the best move, I believe. He just went in this afternoon and they have done chest xray, blood tests, urinalysis, and MRI of the brain was done tonight. The doctor is also cutting back on most of his drugs. He is cutting the prednisone back to around 10mg soon. It's down to 30 now. So, I feel better knowing that progress is being made to get to the bottom of everything. Will let you know how it ends up. Again, thank you everyone. Love and prayers to you all.

Love,

Sue

Wow! Sue, this has been a nightmare for you and Mike. I'm sorry I'm late in responding. Is Mike still in the hospital?

I'm overwhelmed to hear the amount of steroids he's getting. I've heard of others getting high doses like that and if I remember correctly they always have a lot of problems with large doses of steroids. Why so much? I'm sure glad they are cutting them down.

I hope you have some answers soon and will let us know. You may have already done so and I haven't seen the post. If so, I'll catch up to it eventually. :)

Love,

Peggy