Hi, I'm Suzanne

Guest Suzanne

Guest Suzanne

HI everybody, I am new here. You all seem so helpful and so nice -- I am so glad I found you!

My dad, 73 yo, was just diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. One of his vocal cords is paralysed and they found out that it's because he has a tumor that is pressing on the recurrent laryngeal nerve. We only just found out last week that it's cancer and it is quite a shock. It's in his lymph nodes too and I think the doctor was intimating that it showed up in his liver on the CAT scan as well but didn't say so to my dad.

It's weird how the doctors don't tell him everything but maybe they only want to give him a little info at a time so he can handle it better (?). If it was me I'd want them to tell me everything and not keep things from me.

He was feeling fairly well until recently, and now he is awfully tired and having some pain. The whole situation makes me so sad. :cry:

I have some questions, if anyone cares to answer from their perspective, that would be great:

--Why do you lose your appetite? Is there anything that helps with nausea and loss of appetite? (My dad has some pills but they make him really dopey)

--How do you get someone who thinks pills are going to make them a drug addict, actually take them?

I have lots of other questions too but I don't want to take too much of your time on my first visit! :wink:

Thanks very much!

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Welcome to our family. So sorry you had to find us and for the bad news about your dad.

I cannot answer your questions, but wanted to welcome you and let you know that you have come to the right place for support.

Also LC is not a death sentence, manay people here have beaten the odds. So do not let stastics scare you. They mean nothing.

I am sure you will get lots of responses from your question.

take care and be strong for your dad.

Maryanne

Suzanne...

I can't answer your questions, either, but i'd like to welcome you to this wondeful place of HOPE and caring!! It's been wonderful to know there are others who have walked the road i'm now on and willing to walk it hand in hand with me. Sorry to hear about your dad...i know it was hard for me at first after Mom's diagnosis. It still is, but it's a little easier knowing i can come here.

Prayers for you both! and again, Welcome!

Suzanne,welcome to our support family.You will find lots of knowing and caring people here.

Sorry to hear about your dad.On an upside sclc is usually very responsive to treatments.

Not everyone loses their appetite,many of us gain weight during txs.There is medicine to help with nausea (compazine and others).There are also ways to gain weight and energy if you do lose appetite.

Tell dad it's ok to take medicine.You have to take a heck of a lot to become addicted and if you do so what.It's better than being in pain and etc.

There are many here that are beating the odds so don't lose faith or give up the ship.

Welcome! Compazine may be what is making him sleepy, good drug however. A new one that is very good is Zophran, does not make you sleepy but costs more. Does come in a pill form. Donna G

Hi Suzanne.

Lots of experience in this group. There are people who are here who have been just diagnosed just like your Dad who probably have some of the very same questions but may be afraid to ask. But, ask away. There are people who have just completed treatment and those that are out one two three four five twenty years from treatment. We all want your Dad to succeed.

Compazine works for nausea for many. Zofran is an expensive alternative that works for most.

As far as becoming addicted is concerned, I was told not to worry about that at all. The doctor is doing the prescribing and it is for a reason. If he were just getting into the "candy dish" for no reason at all, then that would be a concern. But, the medications do have their purpose. I would take anti-anxiety prescription medication. It helped with muscle pains, for settling nerves, for sleeplessness, and now, just before test time. I took plenty of it, and I must say, I was concerned about addiction with it too. But, it has been 2 1/2 years since diagnosis and I haven't taken one of those for about 2 months. I would tell him not to worry.

Hope this helps a bit. Glad you found us, and welcome.

Cindi o'h

welcome suzanne. my mom is in a different situation than your dad so I don't want to venture a guess re: the nausea but I can tell you this - my mom, too, is skeptical of certain meds for fear of addiction (with good reason, if you knew our family history :lol: ) but she just reminds herself that taking care of herself is the antithesis of self-destruction (addiction) so the meds are the right thing to do. it's also helpful to have someone 'dole' them out, so there's no sensation of craving them or jonesing for them. I hope this makes sense. he doesn't have to suffer!

I have gotten so many answers here - medical, pysical, spiriual, emotional. it's really incredible.

xoxo

bunny

Hi, Suzanne, and welcome. A combination of the cancer, the meds and the treatment can interfere with appetite. To be sure your dad has enough nourishment, it may be better to go to snacks every two hours or so instead of three squares a day. This will also tend to minimize the nausea.

As for the meds, your dad needs to understand that this is helping him and he needs to take them. For instance, pain meds are not addictive as long as they are covering the pain. It is when you take more than you need for the pain that they can become addictive.

Your dad is of an age where he would tend not to ask questions. Also, he is male, and we don't ask a lot of questions. It is important that someone go with him to doctor visits and they ask the questions.

Hang in there. Don

Hi Suzanne- Regarding Drs. not telling everything--it is funny but I find the older Drs. don't and the younger ones sometimes give too much info(at least in my experince) . My surgeon is 68 now (he is my sister's surgeon now too) and you have to pull stuff from him. I guess that goes back to years ago when no one questioned anyone.

I cannot help you with your other questions, but just want to welcome you to our support group

regards,

Guest Suzanne

Hi everybody and thank you so much for all the replies. My dad had quite a difficult day today and was vomiting this morning. The thing is, he hasn't even seen his oncologist yet, so it is not from any treatments.

Thank you for the info on anti-nausea meds. Luckily we are from Canada so cost is not an issue (he has great insurance and it's all free). I will print this out and take it to his GP.

I want him to get on some anti-depression meds as well because the one he has for anxiety is one of those "take-it-when-you-need-it" varieties and not a good choice for a guy who detests pills. He is a recovering alcoholic (has not drank for more than 20 years) but I think this is what makes it difficult for him to take meds.

My brothers and I are really looking forward to his oncologist appt next Tuesday to find out if the cancer has spread and what we are looking at here.

Here I am at 9:30pm, worrying about my dad, and our 14 month old baby is crying it out upstairs. JEESH. Sometimes you feel it's just all too much.

Thank you again,

Suzanne

P.S. It is about 5 mins later now and I think she fell asleep -- finally!!

Hi Suzuanne,

Now I am understanding your Dad's fear. I think in these situations, it sometimes takes a fellow alcoholic to convince another that prescription medication is necessary.

Right now, I am concerned about the cause of the nausea and the decreased appetite. What is the cause?

Best of luck.

Cindi o'h

Hi,

Brian is a friend of Bill W, also, sober for over 15 years. His onc and I had to talk and talk to get Brian to take some Ativan for some of his symptoms.........he finally did and it helps.

I understand your dad's thinking................

Brian and I are here if we can help in anyway.

Love

Pat

Hi Suzzane: Welcome to the group.

I use compazine for my nausea. I have not had a problem with my appetite. Don Wood suggested snacking in 2 hour intervals. I have heard that that is a good idea. Some people use high protein drinks too. One may have to be a little creative and use trial and error to find palatable foods.

For a while I was taking codeine pills to suppress a cough . The cough has subsided and I rarely use them now. I was worried about getting a dependency and the onco doc said that in his practice, that is a very rare occurence. He told me to take them whenever I feel I need to and not to worry about it.

If your dad is still having nausea, you should call the oncology nurse and talk to her about it. They can still help, even if he has not started treatment. Maybe he is allergic to the pills. Your pharmacist may be able to help too. I hope your dad's treatment whacks your dad's cancer big time.

Don M

Guest youngnblessed

Hello Suzanne,

I just wanted to say hello, and welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your father,I will keep him and your family in my prayers. You have chosen a great place for help, comfort,and support. I recently became a part of the family after my husband of 3 months was diagnosed. Everyone has been a great help to me, and will do the same for you. Some days will be better than others, just know that you are not alone and there is always a listening ear, or shoulder to cry on. If there is anything that I or my husband (lordslprotector) can do feel free to stop by. :lol:

Guest Suzanne

Thank you, thank you, so much everyone. We saw my dad's onco last Tuesday and he is an Aussie dude and really great. But, jeesh! He told him everything. I mean, really down to "you have months to some months rather than years to some years..." He never said "terminal" or used words like death or die, but said, "Five out of six people will succomb to this disease." That didn't make me dislike him, though, (strangley!). He was really nice in all other respects. But I think since my dad is really frail and quite confused by it all, the doc wanted to be sure he knew what was going on.

But then the onco nurse came in and she said, "Mr. D! WOW are you ever LUCKY to have sclc!! This responds REALLY WELL to chemo!!!!!!" And my dad practically cried and said this was the best news he had all day. She went on to say that he has to eat a high protein diet so he doesn't lose weight, then she pats her thigh and look at me and my brother (both overweight) and says, "We're the ones that have to do that!". She was hilarious and very nice.

Overall, it was such a stressful and sad day. The next day my brother took him to an info seminar and he threw up in the classroom. I feel so bad for him. It's just anxiety, I think. But we're going to his GP tomorrow to make sure that's what is causing his nausea.

Thank you all again so much. I barely ever thought about Cancer before it entered our family's life like this. (Although in my defense I did walk in the 12 hr relay this year {BC - before cancer} and we raised $96,000!). I am so grateful to you all my your kind comments and support. So thank you all again and you will be "seeing" me around.

Suzanne

Guest orange

Hello and Welcome Suzanne,

I'm very new to this site too and am so happy I found it. I've mostly been reading others posts to get as much info as I can.

My mom was dxed with small cell limited stage cancer on 6/24/05. I have been confused by the lack of info they have shared with us but also think they may be taking the little at a time approach. What they have said was that treatment (chemo and radiatin) has been very successful and that they are very optimstic which is helping the family and my mom stay positive.

I've read that GINGER is suppose to help with naseau but have no idea if it would help in this situation.

Stay strong and visit this site often! Take care

Bobbi

Just wanted to welcome you. My mom's cancer was also pressing against her recurrent laryngeal nerve. She's also had nausea all along, and we've never really figured out why. I assumed that it was from the liver or pancreas, but she even had the nausea during a time when her scans showed nothing remarkable in the liver or pancreas. Zofran seems to help a little, but so far she hasn't found anything that helps completely.

Good luck to you and your dad.

Welcome Suzanne,

Just want to say there is a wealth of infomation and support on this board, as you are seeing from all the posts for you.

Also, do not listen to stastics as weeks and months have turned into years for many on this board. Just have confidence in your doctors, for they are the experts.

Take one day at a time and know that it will get easier for him to accept this as it is the shock at first that is the worse. Once he starts treatment, it will go so much better.

Keep us infomed of his progress and always believe he can beat this. Never Give UP!!

Maryanne

Guest Suzanne

Thank you all again so much. I just called my dad to check on him and he is doing well tonight. He had some pain earlier but Tylenol relieved it. So that's great! Tomorrow my brother is taking him to his GP to go over the chart I made for him indicating all his meds and what & when to take them. Also to get him on an antidepressent. He is feeling so nervous and anxious.

Last night I was on the "Jokes" area of this site and I was cracking up! Some of those jokes are so funny. It was really NICE to laugh! :lol::lol::lol:

I have visited a few other sites but there is nothing out there like this. Thank you all again for your support. (And I hope that Uncle Doug writes again soon because his writing is superb! I said to my husband, "I have to read this post about flatulence to you" and I think he thought I had lost it, but I had him cracking up too!)

Take care, and happy 4th of July to all the Americans out there! (We had our Canada Day on Friday),

Suzanne