SRS is a go!

stand4hope

Well, it looks like more SRS (stereotactic radiosurgery). It's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The onc said since they will be treating the same 4 mets that have already been treated with WBR and SRS, that his chances of necrosis to good tissue goes up 20%. That's comforting, huh? He also has to have a stereotactic MRI (thinner slices) and told him more mets may show up. :roll:

On the other side, he said if he doesn't have the SRS, the tumors will just continue to grow and damage tissue anyway. Don said "Burn'em".

It's temporarily scheduled for July 11, and he gets to take wonderful Decadron in the meantime so he can stay awake all night.

Sorry for the sarcasm. I guess I would have been just as upset if they had said "no treatment possible." Go figure. I guess I'm just one of those flakey girls, huh? And, no, I'm not a blonde. :lol::roll::wink:

Love to all,

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

At least you have doctors that give you a lot of information. Do you ask the questions or do they share info automatically. Seems I don't get much info out of my docs., only what I learn here. You are a wealth of information. Please keep sharing. It is very helpful and appreciated by all of us. Don and all of you are always in my prayers. Please keep us posted...

Thanks,

God Bless and gentle hugs,

Karen

Karen,

We have to pry information out of his primary onc (I think the official term is the "medical onc" - he gives the chemo and oversees everything). Not only that, he mumbles, so 80% of the time Don has to ask me later what he said. LOL! He's a very qualified physican, though, just closed mouthed. Not with me - I make him tell me whatever I want to know, and I get copies of all the reports.

The radiation onc and Novalis (SRS) onc are wonderful to voluntarily give lots of information and answer every question.

Thank you so much for the prayers.

Love,

Peggy

Peggy

Thanks for answering my post in the NSCLC section....just something Mum is considering.

I am glad to hear that Don is feeling up to more treatment - I hope it yields wonderful results, and buys you a whole bunch more quality time together.

Love Karen

Hi Peggy

I think it is good that the doctors feel Don is up for more treatment. Although I do realise it is one of those situations where either option doesn't seem particularly appealing.

I'll be keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for successful, fabulous treatment and burning of those pesky stupid cancer cells.

Jana

xx

I'm also glad that the doctors want Don to have more treatment. That's a good sign in itself. However, I can certainly understand your lack of enthusiasm for it. I believe you said it before, "Damned if you do, damned if you don't"

I will continue to have Don in my daily prayers.

gail p-m

Pegala...

Hoping this works and works well for Don. And like others have said, thanks for sharing so much info about procedures, etc. It's really helpful to so many, I think.

Tell your brave hubby that I smiled thinking of him saying, "Burn 'em". Sounds like a line out of Hawaii Five-O....."Burn 'em, Danno!" (Oh lordy...please tell me his rad onc's name isn't Dan! :shock::D )

All good thoughts coming your way.......

Peggy,

Lots of prayers coming your way from this household as well. At least Don made up his mind about all of this in a hurry. If he says "burn them" then I am all for it. Hoping it helps and doesn't hurt. That's about all we can ask of a treatment.

Nina

Dear Peggy,

I am also glad there is a plan in place and that Don wants to go the course. I think it is when you give up all treatment you have surrended as my Brother did in the end. Dont get me wrong either as I think there would come a time when I had just plain had enough... Glad Don isent there. You know you and you're dear family are on top of the list of prayers said.

God Bless you all and keep you in his care,

Jane

Peggy...

Gotta just love the decadron...not only the up all night, but the pink cheeks mom gets are just so darn cute!!! LOL I completely understand the scarcasm...sometimes it's the only way we can deal with all this! :roll: Mom and i scare the staff at the hospitals and clinics we go to, laughing all the time. :lol: Oh, and btw, we "nuke'um" or "zap'um"...will have to tell Mom about "burn'um"! I liked that! :D

Prayers for a great outcome on another round of zapping...i'll keep an eye out for "the green glow"!

Peggy

I am really glad Don is still able to fight. Hoping all the prayers and good thoughts will boost the "burning" and get rid of them completely! Will be praying. July 11, my husband is going for a follow up with the onc. so that is an important date for both of us.

Karen H

Peggy,

I'm glad the doctors have agreed to try the Novalis treatment again. This has been such a hard road and you and your husband are so strong. I hope that this will not be too hard and it brings some improvement.

TAnn