Canelim and Chitosan (chinese herbs) - questions/help?

I think I saw a reference (or ad) for Canelim capsules on: http://www.thecancerblog.com/

A Google search led to various Chinese websites offering the product and giving glowing reports of its cancer fighting qualities.

According to one source (for purchase) at: http://www.geocities.com/viet_asia_intl/

The product is made of traditional Chinese medicines consisting of:

Radix Curcumae 23.5%

Frutus Aurantii 45.5%

Faeces Trogopterori 18%

Herba Agrimoniae 13%

The same website also mentioned the anti-cancer function of Chitosan capsules.

I know Alisa and a few others take Chinese herbs. May I have your thoughts about these products?

Thank you.

John,

You got my attention with the flying squirrel feces or bat dung stuff. Made me do some more work and YOU’RE RIGHT! Apparently this excrement is used for a number of ailments in Chinese medicine. Guess I’d take anything if it might help – at least it might give the immune system a workout and help make it stronger.

Apparently the other ingredients are herbs and also used for a variety of ailments in Chinese medicine:

• Radix Curcumae is turmeric root.

• Fructus Aurantii (Immaturus?) is immature orange fruit

• Herba Agrimoniae (Hairy Vein Agrimony – could not find the English name) is an herb that is bitter and puckery in flavor.

Alisa,

I look forward to hearing what your herbologist has to say. If he speaks highly of it, would you mind telling us what he would charge to purchase a months supply? Or, have you found a good place to buy Chinese herbs?

I did a pubmed search on tumeric. Is is the same as curcumin? Maybe the Faeces Trogopterori does stimulate the immune system.

There is some research on naringenin and hesperetin which are the flavonoids in Fructus Aurantii for chemoprevention

Chemopreventive and therapeutic effects of curcumin.

Duvoix A, Blasius R, Delhalle S, Schnekenburger M, Morceau F, Henry E, Dicato M, Diederich M.

Laboratoire de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire du Cancer, Hopital Kirchberg, 9, rue Edward Steichen, L-2540 Luxembourg, Luxembourg.

Chemoprevention is a promising anti-cancer approach with reduced secondary effects in comparison to classical chemotherapy. Curcumin, one of the most studied chemopreventive agents, is a natural compound extracted from Curcuma longa L. that allows suppression, retardation or inversion of carcinogenesis. Curcumin is also described as an anti-tumoral, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent capable of inducing apoptosis in numerous cellular systems. In this review, we describe both properties and mode of action of curcumin on carcinogenesis, gene expression mechanisms and drug metabolism.

Surveyor - I will let you know what my herbologist says. I won't be seeing him for a while though.

He has had me on turmeric (curcumin) also. I've been taking it for about 4 years.

I get my chinese herbs from him, but I get some of the other stuff on his protocol on my own, wherever it's cheapest. But I always run the brand name by my herbologist to get his blessing.

John,

That is a very good reason to know what you are taking...

I have taken the curcurmen. I am not sure if it is helpful, and I did stop when I started Iressa treatment but I have never heard of any harmful effects. I had heard a great deal of positive feedback on a melanoma board a while back.

My mother had taken these capsules for 2 years.

I have no way of knowing if it helped or not, all I know is she took it together with chemo and after 4 courses of chemo she had a full year of complete remission.

You can read more info about the capsules on:

http://www.4uherb.com/cancer/lung/treat.htm

However, should you decide to buy them, don't order from that site - they are very expensive, email me. I bought them directly from the manufaturer in China for a much lower price.