Calling All Avastin Users

tnmynatt

Thanks Katie! Sure wish Charlie qualified for one of these clinical trials. It's almost impossible to find one that will take him at this point. Very disappointing! Just another learning process throughout this journey. Take care. Praying for you and your brother.

Tina,

our appointment is tomorrow to discuss Brian's progression. CT scan was last nite at 7.

Avistin is what I am going to lobby for........I printed out an article to take with me that I found now I have to try to find it again so I can send it to you.............

I am on it..............

P

Here it is, Tina, I found it. I am taking this into our doc tomorrow.

http://patient.cancerconsultants.com/pr ... x?id=33924

Cancer Information From CancerConsultants.com

Avastin® Plus Tarceva™ Provides Promising Activity in Recurrent Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

According to results recently published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, the treatment combination consisting of Avastin® (bevacizumab) and Tarceva™ (erlotinib) provides promising activity in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer that has recurred following previous treatment.

Lung cancer remains the leading cause of cancer deaths annually in the United States. Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) refers to the type of cell within the lung from which the cancer originated and comprises approximately 75%-80% of all lung cancers. Once patients have recurred following chemotherapy, they are referred to as having recurrent NSCLC. Currently, treatment options are limited for patients with recurrent NSCLC and researchers continue to evaluate novel agents in the treatment of this disease.

Tarceva™ has recently been approved by the FDA for the treatment of patients with recurrent NSCLC. In addition, Avastin® is approved for the treatment of advanced colorectal cancer; however, a recent clinical trial has demonstrated that it appears to also improve survival in patients with advanced NSCLC. Both Tarceva™, an epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, and Avastin®, an agent targeted at the vascular endothelial growth factor pathway, target biologic pathways in the body that are involved in the growth and spread of cancer. Researchers have speculated that the combination of agents targeting these two pathways may provide improved results compared to single agents just targeting one of these pathways in the treatment of cancer.

Researchers from the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and Vanderbilt Medical Center recently conducted a clinical trial evaluating the combination of Avastin® and Tarceva™ in the treatment of recurrent NSCLC. This trial included 40 patients who had advanced cancer and who had received at least one prior treatment regimen. Twenty-two patients had received two or more prior treatment regimens. Overall, 20% of patients experienced anti-cancer responses and 56% of patients achieved disease stabilization. The overall average survival of 34 patients treated at the dose and schedule that had been decided upon was over one year (12.6 months), with a progression-free survival of 6.2 months. Overall, treatment was generally well tolerated, with the most common side effects being mild to moderate skin rash, diarrhea, and protein in the urine.

The researchers concluded that the treatment combination of Avastin® and Tarceva™ appears promising for the treatment of recurrent NSCLC. Future trials will undoubtedly evaluate this combination further. Patients with recurrent NSCLC may wish to speak with their physician about the risks and benefits of participating in a clinical trial further evaluating Avastin® and Tarceva™ or other promising therapeutic approaches. Two sources of information regarding ongoing clinical trials include the National Cancer Institute (cancer.gov) and www.cancerconsultants.com.

Reference: Herbst R, Johnson D, Mininberg E, et al. Phase I/II Trial Evaluating the Anti-Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Monoclonal Antibody Bevacizumab in Combination With the HER-1/Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Erlotinib for Patients With Recurrent Non–Small-Cell Lung Cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2005;23:2544-2555.

© 1998-2005 CancerConsultants.com All Rights Reserved.

These materials may discuss uses and dosages for therapeutic products that have not been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration. All readers should verify all information and data before administering any drug, therapy or treatment discussed herein. Neither the editors nor the publisher accepts any responsibility for the accuracy of the information or consequences from the use or misuse of the information contained herein.

Hello, Mike used both Tarceva and Avastin (IV). He had some shrinkage with the Avastin. It was never determined if the Tarceva had any positive benefits as he became so weak and was unable to finish the routine before he died. Best of luck and god bless,Nancy C